1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

RMW still do MTO boots, just that they have limited ordering of these to their own branded stores and won't accept MTOs through third parties like Bootsonline anymore.

While RMW stores have always charged more for the boots, IIRC the upcharge for MTO is $30 whereas Bootsonline used to charge $70, so the prices for the two outlets for MTO ended up closer to each other anyway.

The base prices for boots OTOH have increased substantially over the last few years, but that's a bother story.

2. dst

dst Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a picture of a natural edge but a rubber/composite sole?

3. Dingus Berry

Dingus Berry Member

Just wondering, anyone here worn their RMWs HARD? Like go out into the bush/wilderness hard? How did the leather hold up?

1 person likes this.
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Fine. It obviously gets scratched up develops a patina, but no tears or structural issues if that's your question.

1 person likes this.
  5. jammy2

jammy2 Member

You could also look at their less dressier/workboot range such as the stockyard boot if you're going bush walking, . Not as sleek but made of even tougher leather.

6. Dingus Berry

Dingus Berry Member

I was looking at their gardener, oiled kip sounds pretty nice.

I got a pair of all-rounders in latigo (according to nungar). Picks up scratches pretty easily but seems decent, tougher than the yearling for sure.

The new offerings for comfort craftsman/turnout seem really promising, waxed roughout/nubuck

7. dst

dst Well-Known Member

What do people think of this natural edge but with a rubber/composite sole? (I am probably going to go for the Rum Yearling leather/colour though!)

[​IMG]

Also, I was told today by a sales rep in the RMW store that the Rum Yearling doesn't polish up like the regular Chestnut Yearling... is this true? Anyone with Rum Yearling able to share how it wears over time?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Snorpley

Snorpley Active Member

I definitely prefer a snug fit, assuming there is still enough room in the toe box. Yearling leather with ease up a bit over time.

Re: style, I like and own a boot with the natural sole finish, so it is my preferred here. But, if you were wanting to try and wear these shoes with a suit, you might be better off with the classic chestnut Craftsman. In my own experience I've found the Craftsman still a bit chunky for suiting up with, but I'm sure I've seen people pull it off.

All the best,
    S.

9. brucey63

brucey63 Member

I've lurked here for quite some time. I have a few pairs of RM Williams boots.

May fly in the face of all the style rules but I have always had a preference for a Cuban heel. I have one pair of Comfort Craftsmen in black and a pair of gorgeous buckle boots which I've just aquired in the burnished Bordeaux.

I have 2 pair of the Hallet in black and chestnut respectively. I like the slimmer line of this boot. I think from memory it is the Yearling with a Cuban heel and I also have a suede pair as well as a pair in Whiskey. Unsure of what model they are. If I can get pics uploaded I'm sure someone here could tell me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10. brucey63

brucey63 Member

Worked the pics out. Apologies for my poor photography skills[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. brucey63

brucey63 Member

My original post not very well worded. The Comfort Craftsman and the Buckle boots are the only flat heeled boots in my collection. All Cuban heels otherwise.

12. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Quick question. I have an older pair of Turnout boots in yearling with the size "9.5 G" with a "W" underneath. Is this the same sizing as a new pair of the same boots in 9.5G (no "W")?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  13. jammy2

jammy2 Member

Very nice and varied collection there brucey, don't think I've seen the hallet boot before. With regards to the unknowns, the whisky looks like the hallet and the suede could be the santa fe(if it has decorative stitching on the toe) or the dune rider
    The G is for toe width whist the W is for toe shape so I would assume since all turnout boots are W (wide round) toe shaped, the 9.5G turnout boot would be the same as 9.5GW turnout boot. But don't take my word for that.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Xenos likes this.
  14. brucey63

brucey63 Member

Thanks Jammy, i agree with you re the suede pair. I think they are Dune Riders. The Santa Fe also has the square toe which mine dont. The whiskey pair arent quite as sleek as the Hallets. Possibly they may be Turnouts or Bushman with a cuban heel. The sole is screwed leather. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. Young Angus

Young Angus New Member

Fantastic collection Brucey! I've got an old pair of Dark Tan bolts that were my dad's from way back in the 70s and I think the forum here figured they were Hallets. Decent heel, but lovely boots, and exactly my size so thank you Dad!!

I just got a pair of Comfort Turnouts in the Coffee wax rough leather and they're fantastic, I love them!

I'm going to get a fancier pair next though and was unsure which way to go. I already have a pair of Tanbark Kangaroo Craftsman too, lovely boots, but I want a much darker pair now. Maybe Craftsman in a chestnut, rum, or maybe even something black.

What do people recommend for something that suits up well? I don't suit up very often, but I always had in my mind that I should get a pair of RMs for suit wear and wasn't sure if the craftsman would be good or if there are other more refined options people favour?

Attached Files: