1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the text as the online article requires a subscription. Interesting reading for sure.

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article. A great shame it was lost to this country, though...

3. SpeedBird

SpeedBird Well-Known Member

Quality has already. Not every boot or shoe is Made In Australia, so it is a matter of time when the Craftsman will be made else where. The clothing range is made mostly from overseas to. Just the logo remains now. Its a shame but this is what happens when someone who owned the company is getting on in life and wants to find a seller willing to buy it at top price.

At the end of the day, if you don't expand and grow the market then it was not worth doing business as the brand is not well known outside Australia.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  4. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

Weren't their profit margins meagre? I can't blame Cowley for flipping it for top coin - who wouldn't?

5. Lemonjoe

Lemonjoe New Member

6. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Talking to my Germany based brother he informed me the screwed down variety of boots his daughter bought in Australia were a disaster as the screws ended up penetrating the inner boot. He prefers Baxter for fit.

7. milw50717

That is interesting and a little bit worrying. You do not explicitly state that the boots with the screw intrusion were RM Williams boot. Can you confirm what model they were and what the manufacturer had to say, assuming the problem was reported to them ?

I have owned RM Williams boots with a screwed sole and it is basically a brass wire that is used. I can see that it could penetrate the inside of the boot, but I have never experienced that myself or heard of it before.

FWIW I have also heard that only RMW can resole screwed sole boots, but that is simply not the case as all the cobbler has to do is remove the old sole and clip off the brass

8. meister

meister Well-Known Member

They were RMs and she tossed them out. The only place to have them re-screwed is RMs apparently. The alternative is a regular resole.

9. milw50717

Thanks for the update. Sounds as if the machine operator had a bad day when making that pair. I'm sure that RMW would have replaced them if they had been told of this.

The scarcity of the machines is the gating factor to having them re-screwed. I think I read somewhere that RMW have the only machine in Australia.

10. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

did anyone get the email from Nungar? RMW are having a pricing review :/

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Looking forward to cheaper prices.

:satisfied:

12. SpeedBird

SpeedBird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got that email to. By the sounds of it he wants you to order now before another price increase kicks in after Christmas period. RMW used to put prices up every 6 months, so looks like it is back to the old trick again.

13. Lemonjoe

Lemonjoe New Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. koloman

koloman New Member

I've come to the conclusion that I am in need of a pair of RMW chelsea boots. Since conclusive information of their lineup seems to be rather hard to come by, I am hoping you guys could help me out.

Here is a list of the things I am looking for in the boots:
    1. black greasy kip leather, since I will be using them casually
    2. rubber sole (treaded would be nice for the Scandinavian winter)
    3. preferably a chiseled toe, which I have tried on and liked

As far as I can tell, there is no model (outside of going MTO) that would tick all these boxes. Is this correct?

The Gardener boot comes close, but has a rounded toe. Any other models I should be looking at?

Thanks!

15. milw50717

Not greasy kip, but how about the Lachlan ?

16. koloman

koloman New Member

The Lachlan would fit the bill pretty well, but seems to discontinued (?). There's some places that say it is made in greasy kip, while some say otherwise. I was hoping to order from one of the cheaper Australian resellers, but looks like they are out of stock.

How wide/bulbous is the toe box on the Gardener? It's kind of hard to tell from most pictures.

Any other options I should be looking at?

17. milw50717

The toe cap is not as sleek as the chisel toed boots, but I would not say that it is bulbous. I have slightly wide feet and like to wiggle my toes, so I appreciate the extra room in the Gardener boots.

18. snapehead

snapehead Active Member

Does anyone have a view on the signature craftsman compared to the regular craftsman? I notice that the toe box is sleeker and the leather is obviously different. I can't find any reviews of the signature though - do people think it's worth twice the price?

Searched the thread but can't find much on this. Thanks so much

19. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

my MTO comfort craftsman rum boots just landed. i noticed on the card it described the type of leather as "rum aniline pull up". a quick search on the RM williams site describes the veal calf as: Full aniline, fine grained leather. Veal Calf has a superb high shine finish ideal for dress boots. is this the same leather used on the signature line? i'm a bit confused as these only cost me a touch more than the standard craftsmans.

edit box says yearling. got excited too soon.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Aniline is the method of dyeing, as opposed to vegetable tanned leather. "Pull up" aniline leather has a distressing wax added to the dye mix, and doesn't refer to the type of boot being a pull up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016