1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. equesta

equesta Member

I

I'm guessing they are. I bought a pair of The Yearlings initially thinking they were Macquaries. But the fit might be slightly different though as the higher block heel may change the position of your foot.

2. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

I've been tossing up between the Comfort Craftsman and Dynamic Flex Craftsman.

What are the main differences between the two and why would I choose one over the other?

3. Quiet Observer

Quiet Observer Member

The Dynamic Flex is supposedly an improved version of the Comfort Craftsman. The main difference being that the Dynamic Flex has a combination composite leather sole whereas the Comfort Craftsman has a full composite sole. Both have the inner comfort cushions, so I would make my decision based on the weather where I live. When I lived in the UK it was a no brainer, I'd opt for the Comfort Craftsman every time due to the wet condition that would ultimately damage the leather part of the Dynamic Flex sole. Now I live in the United Arab Emirates where we don't get much rain, so I'd probably opt for the Dynamic Flex.

4. equesta

equesta Member

I was just in the same situation as you and after many hours researching (on this forum and in RMW stores) I just pulled the trigger on a pair of DFC's yesterday. I was after something more "everyday comfortable" after owning a few regular Craftsmans.

I won't go in to the exact technical details in the differences between the two as it's been discussed at length on this thread, but here are a couple of key points/experiences that helped me decide:

- From the outside and above, all three look virtually identical.
    - The Comforts have composite sole (similar to the ones on regulars) and the DFC have a leather/composite combination which supposedly allows for greater flex. I've had it on good authority that because of the layered construction of the combination DFC soles, they don't last quite as long and a few have reported the layers peeling apart after wear. But the RMW stores insist they're just as durable. I always keep an eye on the wear on my RMWs and accept resole-ing is just part of ownership and both cost the same to resole.
    - The key for me was the removable insoles - not because I use orthotics (though this is a no-brainer if you need to use orthotics), but I have quite sweaty feet and being able to remove the insoles allows me to air out the shoes better. And would probably keep the shoe cleaner (by being able to clean the insoles) compared to my regular Craftsmans
    - The Comforts have the more similar "fit" to my regular Craftsmans - just with more cushioning. The DFCs definitely make your feet sit higher against the last. I actually ended up going half a size bigger.

Even if you have regular craftsmans, I would highly recommend you go to a RMW store to try them out - they do fit and feel very different and it's really a personal choice.

5. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

I have both DFC and CC and the DFC are more comfortable to walk in. I would only buy DFC if I was in the market for a new pair and will probably get my CC resoled as DFC when the time comes.

6. redboat

redboat Well-Known Member

New arrival at my house: Comfort All-Rounders (B543LN) in black. Although they're advertised as walking/work boots, I find them dressy enough for most social settings, and they have the same comfort as the Comfort Craftsmen, albeit at a lower price.
    [​IMG]

7. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Finally got myself a pair of Dynamic Flex Craftsman in the Chestnut for the rainy weather in Melbourne next week.

I'm about to treat them with a layer of Saphir Renovateur. Is there anything else I need to do to take care of them before I wear them for the first time?

Also what about care overtime, will I need shoe trees?

8. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

If you intend to wear them in the rain then consider putting some wax polish on after the Reno. If you are happy with the Saphir products then Reno and a polish should do you fine for pounding the city streets. If you are going paddling in the upside down river or facing really wet weather then maybe look at a throwing a waterproofing product into the mix. RM Williams also do some boot care products that are going to be cheaper than Saphir.

Some people use shoe/boot trees and others don't. Personal choice methinks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  9. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

When I worked in the RM London store we were told no to shoe trees. This is 20 years ago now and I don't remember if they said you don't NEED to or you SHOULDN'T. I don't bother with them for any of my RM's.

The 1 thing they did recommend was alternating 2 pairs so that each pair had a full day to dry out before being worn again. I cant be sure if this was a sales trick to try and get us to sell 2 pairs to the rich Londoners or not but regardless, its something that stuck in my mind and I still have a pair I won from a staff sales competition 20 years ago that are going strong...so maybe it works?

10. phivoj

phivoj Member

Hi there!

After reading through the SF quite some time, I finally decided to sign up after I purchased a pair of suede Turnouts while visiting Perth for a couple of days.
    To be honest, I never heard of RMW before (shame on me) but what can I say - these boots are amazing. And with 200A$ (for all suedes at the waterfront outlet store) a real bargain, since that makes only 130€. The only thing what confuses me (a bit) is the sole. All pictures I could find show a different sole on the Turnouts (or most of the models) accept the Adelaide for women. The soles on my Turnouts only have the 2 lines of golden letters and no logo (neither on the leather nor the heel). Is it just an aesthetic difference or are these different soles after all? Anyway, the shoes just feel great, only one toe feels a bit snug but I think that will disappear after breaking them in.

[​IMG]

That's what the sole looks like:
    [​IMG]

11. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

That shade of suede looks FANTASTIC!

12. eyeheartny

Has anyone seen the Rum leather recently from any MTO purchases? Once I get my suede Craftsmans sold (hopefully) I want to get a different toe shape in a Rum makeup. I've read some various things about the quality of the smooth leathers and wanted to see if anyone had recent experience to compare to some of their older ones.

13. Snorpley

Snorpley Active Member

Mate that is an awesome boot. I agree that the suede looks fantastic. You don't often see the suedes at the outlet as the sheer number of yearling craftsman in production meaning that more often than not, an outlet is wall to wall chestnut! That's if you can even find one as they shut the Sydney one down ages ago. I have the Turnout also and think it's a great option. Regarding the soles, my only guess is that this might be the standard RM Williams sole going forward, and that we associate it with the Adelaide a bit because that brand new style started rolling it out first(so naturally there are more pictures of the sole on that particular boot). Again, that's just a guess.
    Enjoy the boots!

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Anyone knows this is repairable? The shoe is wearing where my little toe is.

[​IMG]

15. LordPave

LordPave Member

So I had a chat with the guys in one of the stores, they've advised that MTO boots using French Veal Calf are no longer available. You can only do MTO with Kangaroo or Yearling.

Wonder who else does similar quality boots, given that RM Williams has become ridiculous (under the stewardship of LVMH).

16. eyeheartny

Is that a tear coming from underneath, or is it on the surface? Hard to tell from the picture.

17. dmptx

dmptx Member

HI,

Which RM Williams model is the sleekest and for business? I saw they don't have French Veal anymore. I'm not a fan of the rounded toe and looking at the chisled toe...so would that be the normal Craftsman? Also I'm a French 8E...would that translate to a US 9 just to ensure I fit? In the US I wear 9.5 running shoes.

Thanks,
    DP

18. Dr P00b

Dr P00b Well-Known Member

I think the sleekest wouold be the Macquarie but it is a round toe. I wear both the Macquarie and the Comfort Craftsman with suits and they are both fine. Black Macquarie looks more formal and the chestnut craftsman just a slightly more relaxed look, especially if you bin the tie later in the day.

1 person likes this.
  19. SpeedBird

SpeedBird Well-Known Member

What they are trying to do is making you upgrade onto the 'Signature' craftsman boot which is French Veal Calf. Its the pricey one which makes the most profit for the group. Its all about the marketing these days I am afraid.

20. Tavers

Tavers New Member

Hi Folks,

About 2 years ago I purchased a size 12G Henley boot. It's finally time to add another pair. I was keen on getting some Dynamic Flex Craftsmen. I went into a store to try some 12G's on and they were very tight and my toes felt squished. Unfortunately they didn't have a 13 or a 12H for me to try.

Do you think it would be worthwhile going into the larger size in a H? I don't remember my first pair being so tight when I first got them. I do have quite a wide foot, so maybe the H would be a better option.

Thanks in advance.