1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Shows how often you visit SF. The Aussies have their own thread cobber.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member

[​IMG]

R.M. Williams Craftsman Boots

3. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Are they still offering a jodphur boot? I love these but could not find on their website.

4. Treaty of Versailles

Treaty of Versailles Active Member

Thinking of getting a pair of All Rounders

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.a...D867E83DD6A086&producttypeid=3AECD6850AE70656

I've looked around the boards for sizing information and for reference, I wear:

9.5 EEE AE Strand
    9.5 EEE AE Clifton
    9.5 in RW Beckman (Gentleman's Traveler)- even though the D width is too tight on me
    10 in Converse
    11 in Adidas Samba

Based upon what I've been reading, it appears the 9 H is what I should go with.

Thoughts please?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member

Just ordered a pair of All Rounders from the Stable House Door in Australia a few weeks ago. Can't wait to get them!!

6. silkman

silkman Active Member

My Aussie friend Jules made RMs known to me. One piece leather and all.

Here are mine, craftsmans in chestnut with cuban heel, bought in 2005/6 with regular use since. They have been treated about a month ago with RM chestnut cream @ a street "polisher" (don't know the exact word) near work. Generally I treat them 1-2 times per year. Never used trees on them.

Love em. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

Lanclair - Any chance of seeing photos of your craftsman in greasy kip? I'm of a similar mind in that I generally find the yearling and other leathers a little dressy for casual/denim. I really like the tough greasy kip that I've seen on their workboots and imagine it would be very nice and versatile on the craftsmen.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

..meant to quote this for context.

9. donaldh

donaldh New Member

Width question. I tried on a pair of gardener boots in 7.5H and they were still a little too narrow. Does anyone know how the Tambo would compare to the gardener H?

10. Grayland

Grayland Well-Known Member

Anyone ever consider having their RMW Craftsman's re-heeled with a slightly lower heel? I love everything about my Craftsmans...except I find the heel height a bit high - cowboy boot like. Most of the other Chelsea boots I've seen usually have a lower heel. Would this screw up the "balance" of the boot in any way? Say 1/4-inch or so lower.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

So long as you take it to an RMW certified cobbler I couldn't see the problem. Admittedly though despite being one prone to IBS I've never had a problem with the stock heel as it is.

12. Frankie22

Do they still do a Jodphur?

13. wesos

wesos Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a jodhpur-type boot. Google "rm williams stockman". Aka "buckle boot".

It is only Made-to-Order, unless you can get to the one Sydney store which has them in stock. On top of the MTO premium, it is also more expensive than the elastic-sided boots as it requires more leather and time to manufacture.

Bloody great boot!

1 person likes this.
  14. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money - just get a C&J Cottesmore, you'll be happy you did.

15. sridhar3

sridhar3 Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find where to buy these. Barney's has 'em, but they're in black and not in my size. [​IMG]

16. Frankie22

Thanks guys... will prob just pick up the CJ's in NYC next week. Cant be hassled to go through all the trouble via RW ( wish I had the patience because they are nice)!

17. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

To confirm - nobody knows anywhere in the states to get nailed sole resoled? I want to make sure before going back to RM Williams to pay full freight to Australia.

18. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

All my leather soles are kept as nature intended, except the nailed RM's. First thing I did was slap on a Topy. So thin and slight in profile, that you can hardly notice. Couldn't bear the thought of sending back to Australia. Most cobblers in London reckon the nails are purely cosmetic, and that they can resole in a jiffy :brick:

Lear

19. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

FYI there is an RM Williams brick and mortar store in NYC.

20. sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Which retailers provide the best price and service? Thinking of ordering the Lachlan boot.