1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. FashionFadz

FashionFadz Active Member

Love RM Williams - I did a tour of their factory some years ago and to see them make these amazing boots using all the traditional techniques is great!

2. Dingo

Dingo Member

Would like to know where to get these. I think there are a couple of Craftsman MTO.
    What do you think they cost? My local RMW dealer says he can´t get them, but it can´t be right, can it?

[​IMG]

These are crocodile MTO craftsman boots. They cost A$2,900 including GST. I saw a pair yesterday in the RM Williams store in Sydney. Your local supplier doesn't know what he is talking about. You can order them through the catalogue if you know your RM Williams size.

3. jules

jules Member

Hi all , new to the site, just got a new pair of Craftsmans made from willow leather with the nailed soles , they look great , the willow doesn't shine up like yearling leather but it also doesn't scuff as easily. I have a pair of suede Craftsmans in black and a pair in brown , a 15 year old pair of chestnut craftsmans for kicking around in and a pair of Ian harold Brumbys, I will try and post up some pictures.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

...a 15 year old pair of chestnut craftsmans for kicking around in and a pair of Ian harold Brumbys, I will try and post up some pictures.

Would love to see what the chestnut craftsmans look like after 15 yrs.

5. marqueeumbrella

marqueeumbrella Member

About two weeks ago I got my first pair of RM Williams boots: Kangaroo Blaxlands in chestnut, 9G. Lengthwise it is fine, however my small toe and the next one are slightly cramped. It is only a minor nuissance because it doesn't hurt even after wearing them a whole day. And the small toe isn't touching the toebox but the leather, so I guess the fit will become better with wear. But, if I get another pair of yearling craftsmans, I will take H width and not G.

So a question: is size H overall wider or only in the toebox?

6. alladin

alladin Well-Known Member

Hi,

Has anyone ordered from Barry at bootonline? I know he ships worldwide but wanted to inquire if buyers have escaped paying import duty?

Would be interested in knowing, especially from UK members.

7. amce

amce Well-Known Member

Hi,

Has anyone ordered from Barry at bootonline? I know he ships worldwide but wanted to inquire if buyers have escaped paying import duty?

Would be interested in knowing, especially from UK members.

Check your PM

Cheers

8. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Would like to know where to get these. I think there are a couple of Craftsman MTO.
    What do you think they cost? My local RMW dealer says he can´t get them, but it can´t be right, can it?

[​IMG]

They have them in the Sydney George St store - prominently displayed. Ironically the reptile is actually Argentine cayman (croc) I believe/have heard rather than Aussie croc. Something to do with export quality of the skins...

9. jules

jules Member

yeah I've bought from Barry at bootsonline, as far as I recall I didn't pay any import tax . I'm in the UK , great service from bootsonline , loads of communication as to when the boots were being shipped etc , I'd recommend them.

10. meister

meister Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Further evidence that the croc used on RMs is caiman (S American croc). Se va caiman... se va caiman ...se va para Baranquilla....

Here is a pic a member posted to advertise some nice caiman croc shoes:

[​IMG]

Notice the similarity and beauty of the caiman tiles with the nice ones on the RM croc boots.

11. jules

jules Member

2 people like this.
  12. thrice

thrice Well-Known Member

Jules

They look very good after 15 years! I only have a black pair I bought for winter use. Now I want brown ones too. Damn.

13. jules

jules Member

Attachment 51469 My RM Craftsman boots, left to right, Black Willow Craftsmans with nailed soles. 15 year old Chestnut Craftsmans, brown suede Craftsmans and black suede Craftsmans.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Out of Africa

Out of Africa New Member

Hi
    Forum members - advice please:
    Firstly is Aussiebushats reputable?
    Second, I have broad and high feet. My current Blundstone 500's can become tight after an hour or two.
    I fitted some RMW Comfort Craftsman 9.5H's...which is fine but my little toe could be seen altering the natural shape of the shoe. I also fitted Gardener 9.5H - who's toe cap somehow hurt my big toe. Unfortunately they don't stock Tambo or Henley!!! Is the RMW Tambo / Henley just say a number wider than Craftsman / Gardener - or does it look out of proportion?
    In short can someone recommend Tambo / Henley as I have to order it "blind".

Many thanks

15. Xyst

Xyst Active Member

Hi Forum members - advice please: Firstly is Aussiebushats reputable? Second, I have broad and high feet. My current Blundstone 500's can become tight after an hour or two. I fitted some RMW Comfort Craftsman 9.5H's...which is fine but my little toe could be seen altering the natural shape of the shoe. I also fitted Gardener 9.5H - who's toe cap somehow hurt my big toe. Unfortunately they don't stock Tambo or Henley!!! Is the RMW Tambo / Henley just say a number wider than Craftsman / Gardener - or does it look out of proportion? In short can someone recommend Tambo / Henley as I have to order it "blind". Many thanks
    If it makes you feel any better I have a pair of the Queenslander in an X width. It is my understanding that the Queenslander and the Tambo are ultimately the same shoe. Here's a shot of them, but note I ordered mine custom in Whiskey with the comfort sole and insert. Hope that helps. UPDATE: Okay, so after reading my original post when I got the boots, and this sort of thing was fresher in my mind, the Queenslander and the Tambo are different lasts after all. The Tambo was slightly more angular, with the Queenslander having the boxier appearance of the two. Eitherway, they are my boots are the most comfortable shoes I own and I wear them all the time.

16. Saenek

Saenek Well-Known Member

I've ordered twice from Aussiebushhats, very friendly service.

17. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

I have extremely wide feet and have worn the wide fitting in several Craftsmen for ages, but never experienced the legendary comfort in these boots that so many people report. Then again, I am used to my feet feeling a little cramped in just about all of my shoes.

I had resisted getting the Tambo, as I just didn't like the look of it as much. The toe box is fairly chunky compared with other RM lasts - it has almosta Blundstone roundness to it. About twelve months ago, I found a pair of Tambo's on sale and I now wear them quite a bit. I still don't think they look as good as my old boots, but they are significantly more comfortable for me.

It comes down to how you want to wear them I guess. Here in Sydney, plenty of folk wear black RMs with suits as business attire - brown on a Friday. I don't think this would look right with the Tambo. But I do wear my Tambos casually on the weekend and as riding boots - they work well in these settings.

Hope that helps.

18. richardwallace

richardwallace Well-Known Member

this is the tambo... same as the craftsman, but extra wide (X / i think EEE or EEEE) width [​IMG] [​IMG] this is the henley... i think these are the ones that look like blundstones (i think these are pretty ugly with fat chisel shape and storm welt) [​IMG] [​IMG] ^^^ blundstones

19. Chris - NZ

Chris - NZ Well-Known Member

Hi
    Forum members - advice please:
    Firstly is Aussiebushats reputable?
    Second, I have broad and high feet. My current Blundstone 500's can become tight after an hour or two.
    I fitted some RMW Comfort Craftsman 9.5H's...which is fine but my little toe could be seen altering the natural shape of the shoe. I also fitted Gardener 9.5H - who's toe cap somehow hurt my big toe. Unfortunately they don't stock Tambo or Henley!!! Is the RMW Tambo / Henley just say a number wider than Craftsman / Gardener - or does it look out of proportion?
    In short can someone recommend Tambo / Henley as I have to order it "blind".

Many thanks

I've ordered 3 pairs from Aussiebushats. Highly recommended. RM Williams sent out a pair that was different from my order and they happily refunded shipping fees. I eventually received my cigar suede pair with screwed soles. Be sure to let them know that you can get the pair slightly cheaper from Bootsonline.

Also, have you tried 9.5H in veal. I find theyre roomier than roo leather.

20. percy

percy Member

hi,

am sorry if this has been discussed before but i am keen to buy a pair of rm's and just wanted to get some opinions/experience first.

ideally i want to use the boots as a casual and comfortable everyday wearer, which are still suitable during the winter. i prefer the rounder toed models as they dont look so dressy.

i basically narrowed my choices down to either the turnout comfort or gardener/yard boot. so does anyone own both or have an opinion on which may be more suitable for what i require?
    is the leather on yard boot as supple as the turnout? which model is likely to be most comfy?

thanks for any help