1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RISING SUN denim store in Pasadena (LA)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Aug 20, 2006.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Ha, a few weeks ago, I added Pho-79 to the Restaurants post in Social Life, Food, Drink. Been going there forever. You ever been to any restaurants in the original Chinatown? My favorite is Mandarin Deli and Family Pastry is a dim sum classic. So I take it you didn't grow up in the area but occasionally visit? -Jeff
    Yeah, I've been all over the places in Chinatown. Empress Pavillion, etc. Haven't been to Mandarin Deli. I'll give that a shot. I had the luxury of growing up in two cities: Los Feliz and Alhambra. Since my dad's idea of cooking was adding milk to microwavable oatmeal, we always ate our meals at restaurants. Not to mention that if you know where to look, the meals are so cheap it doesn't make sense to buy the food and make it yourself. The outcome is that I'm a picky eater, not in what kind of cuisine, but quality since I just know better. You're not going to make a grilled cheese sandwich if you're in Alhambra if there's the Hat, not going to Panda Express in Pasadena if it (was) happy hour at Nonya's, and so on. And you're sure as hell not eating breakfast in downtown if there's Philippe's.

2. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Well-Known Member

damn i was hoping for an update on the store and all i get is posts about restaurants i can't eat at :p

i have however eaten at like 4 DTF's in different countries haha.

3. whodini

damn i was hoping for an update on the store and all i get is posts about restaurants i can't eat at :p i have however eaten at like 4 DTF's in different countries haha.
    What store?

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

There is some amazing Pho in San Diego. Definitely the best I've had is down here in our unofficial Little Saigon.

5. whodini

There is some amazing Pho in San Diego. Definitely the best I've had is down here in our unofficial Little Saigon.
    There's a little saigon up in San Jose, too. A buddy of mine's family owns a place up there that's damn good.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Easiest way to deal with the parking is to park in Wells Fargo or in the shopping mall behind DTF on Duarte.

As far as dumpling houses, there are a number of them in San Gabriel/MP but I don't remember the English names of them. There's a good one that's near the corner of Garfield and Valley as I recall.

You're thinking of either NBC Seafood or Ocean Star. IMO, NBC is better. Jason, you're Chinese and don't like Dim Sum? Truly a Banana.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

You're thinking of either NBC Seafood or Ocean Star. IMO, NBC is better. Jason, you're Chinese and don't like Dim Sum? Truly a Banana.

NBC is pretty good, personally for pure dimsum I prefer either Sea Harbor on Rosemead, Sam Woo (which is more traditional, larger, and has a huge selection) in San Gabriel Square, or perhaps even Full House in Arcadia on Naomi...

8. whodini

NBC is pretty good, personally for pure dimsum I prefer either Sea Harbor on Rosemead, Sam Woo (which is more traditional, larger, and has a huge selection) in San Gabriel Square, or perhaps even Full House in Arcadia on Naomi...
    Ha, I haven't been to Sea Harbor in aaagggesss.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Jason, you're Chinese and don't like Dim Sum? Truly a Banana.
    [​IMG] Me, Chinese???? uh, nope. wrong kinda rice nigga damn this thread makes me hungry every time I read in it

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Ha, I haven't been to Sea Harbor in aaagggesss.

Have you been there for dimsum or dinner?

If you go for dim sum, try the shark fin shaomai... amazing.

11. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Me, Chinese???? uh, nope. wrong kinda rice nigga
    rice nigga? is that what you all call each other nowadays? :p

12. whodini

Dim sum, but never adventurous enough for the shark fin. But you called me on it so I now I'll have to try. Just a few more days till I can actually eat this thread in person. Hopefully Rising Sun and H&M will be open by next week, otherwise they'll have to wait till Dec. (Fingers crossed)

13. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

1. Huge fan of Lovebirds. Just had the turkey, avocado, and jack on croissant on Saturday for lunch. 2. Heard good things about Europane but have not been. Is it completely European or is it owned/operated by Asians? 3. Grey One is on Holly. 4. What's drunken spaghetti? 5. Rye GB - What clothing brand do you own/represent? Oops, just read the answer. 6. What is Marston's located? 7. Good thai in Pasadena? Check out Saladang on Fair Oaks. 8. This is the second weekend I've missed eating at DTF. I am not sure why you guys are being so critical about it. From what I understand, DTF on Baldwin is the only US representation of DTF Taiwan and over there it's considered the best. That's like having the best sushi restaurant in Japan open a shop in the US. I am definitely going! 9. Ocean Star is what launched the NBV investigation and what prompted LA to start using letter grades in the windows of restaurants. Would I still eat there? Sure. But would you?

14. whodini

1. Huge fan of Lovebirds. Just had the turkey, avocado, and jack on croissant on Saturday for lunch.
    3.Greyone
    4. What's drunken spaghetti?
    7. Good thai in Pasadena? Check out Saladang on Fair Oaks.

1. Try the chicken caesar on toasted sourdough with avo and swiss. I'd make babies with that sandwich if I could.
    3. Yeah, forgot about that place. It's right next to the Tibetan place I mentioned.
    4.It's a spicy Thai version of spaghetti, minus the marinara sauce. What I once thought was location unique, I found out is fairly common at smaller thai places. Warning, though: it'll leave you crying but damn is it good.
    7. Saladang simply sets the standard for classy thai food. Lunch is ideal, but dinner can't be beat for atmosphere (at least at Saladang Song). I could probably sign away my first born for some coconut shrimp and a glass of thai ice tea right about now.

I think in general if you're worried about letter grades, you shouldn't be eating in San Gabriel valley. I don't let a few bugs get in the way of good food.

Although speaking of Chinese, anyone know the Oak Tree Inn in South Pas on Fair Oaks? Above average lunch, big portions, linen tables, and the bill for two people w/ tax/tip comes out to $13. Or go ahead and eat @ Panda across the street.

15. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

i gotta try that!

-Jeff

16. Get Smart

Hopefully Rising Sun and H&M will be open by next week, otherwise they'll have to wait till Dec. (Fingers crossed)

I predict they'll be waiting til Dec....

17. Get Smart

Although speaking of Chinese, anyone know the Oak Tree Inn in South Pas on Fair Oaks?

I've been there for dinner....good place. Still, my go to chinese restaurant is Panda Inn on Foothill (the restaurant that spawned Panda Express)...I've been going there since 1975 and it's still my fave Chinese food anywhere. Anglo-whitey-Chinese food at its finest. There's really nothing "Chinese" about it, hence my love of it.

18. whodini

Well, hell, if you're going over there for Chinese you might as well stop by Kabuki across the street for some discounted sushi. The Italian place next door isn't bad, either.

19. Get Smart

you might as well stop by Kabuki across the street for some discounted sushi.

naw, Kabuki is on my banned list. For MANY reasons that span the last 8 years. Basically, comes down to bad service, nonexistent service, unaccomodating service, and every cooked item I've ever had at different occasions ends up giving me the runs. I shit you not. And this goes for their other Old Town Pasadena location AND the one at Victoria Gardens. This restaurant just cant do right by me at all.

but I had a group of Euro friends living here that loved going there for the 50% off sushi so I'd end up there not of my own accord.

20. whodini

That really sucks. In truth I've only been to the Foothill location twice while the majority of the time I'm at the one at Howard Hughes off the 405. Never had a problem with service and my salmon teriyaki comes out about as quick as the sushi.

Where do you go in Old Town for sushi?