1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Riesling Suggestions

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kronik, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Zubberah

Zubberah Well-Known Member

Some good response above. I would only add two: Trimbach Clos-St.-Hune is very great albeit pricey. Also Aussie rieslings - Australia's best riesling is, arguably, the Grosset Polish Hill Riesling (US$30). Vintages from 1996-2006 are all consistent. The Watervale is also excellent from Grosset. Best rieslings from Australia come from Clare and eden valleys. Great vintages recently are 2002 and 2005.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Gewürztraminer Tribach is good and very reasonble

3. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

There is no riesling in Loire.
    If you are looking for something a little more rich, I would look at Marc TempÃ[​IMG] or Barmès-Bucher. Just avoid the 2003 vintage. Zind-Humbrecht produces the finest wines in alsace, but they are quite pricey.

!luc

4. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

Any suggestions that are sweeter? Tried most of these, liked Loosen, Hogue.. kinda out on Eroica, <thinks> ..

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Ok, in that case, get a German labeled 'Auslese.' If you don't like the Auslese, Riesling probably isn't your bag. You would probably enjoy a Beerenauslese as well, but it's apple-juice sweet so it's not really in the game for accompanying a meal. But since I can better see where your taste runs, I'd highly suggest Fetzer's 'Echo Ridge' Gewurtztraminer. It is not a riesling, but I'll bet you'll like it more (it is as sweet as anything I'd ever consider for food- great with turkey &c on Thanksgiving). Plus, for nine bucks, how can you go wrong in experiencing it? If you like that, try their Johannisberg Riesling as well. Regards, Huntsman ps. I see you're in Fairfax -- ever eat at La Tierre Bouchon on Chain Bridge Road or something similar? I really enjoyed that place when I last had the opportunity of eating there.