1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

ridiculous house prices

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zupermaus, May 27, 2008.

1. captoe

captoe Well-Known Member

2. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Well-Known Member

$180 million for one (admittedly very nice) attached row house? I don't think there is a single residential property in Manhattan that ever sold for even half that much.

That's not even close to a truly spectacular house by London standards. A comp in New York would be a 25' brownstone (not a beux arts mansion) somewhere between Madison and Lex in the 80s or 90s. I don't think you could even get $20 mil for one of those. $180?

I did a quick reality check and found a really grand beaux arts mansion on 68th for $40 mil. That's a much nicer house than the Belgravia terrace house above.

When did London become 15x more expensive than New York?

Indeed. My richest friend owns two massive townhouses on 17th and 8th ave (next door, six stories, 8 bedrooms each, massive living room, massive kitchen, a nice roof, a private garage like in the suburbs [!!!]) and they only go for about 40-50 mill each last he asked his parents. A penthouse on Broom st. and the river with 6 bedrooms went four about 30 mill according to another friend who lives in one. On Chambers and west broadway a penthouse is only in the 20's. And though the people I knew who lived in the UES have all moved out, i recall a 4 bedroomer in the 60's went for something in the low 20's high 10's.

These neighborhoods are all where Wall St's kings live and I fail to see why America's socialites and the Sachs "fat cats'" residences are so much cheaper than their English counterparts'.

3. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

This is an old thread. How much have prices dropped? On RightMove I'm seeing apartments in the City for what seem pretty reasonable, about four times what a similar place would be in my city, and my city is relatively forgettable.

4. milesdavisjr

milesdavisjr Well-Known Member

I think house prices in the UK have gone down
    unless its its central London where all good houses were owned by Arabs...then came the Russians who bought them out and then came Chinese...now interestingly Russians and Chinese are buying up all stately country houses...and on a flip side Arab spring kinda heped to tip the balance...few wealthy Arabs would rather stash their money in UK than US