1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous fashion trends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CushyCouture, Oct 21, 2012.

1. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

^ say what ?

so you're saying jeans and tie is plain wrong, yet you advise somebody to try ColeHaans... :facepalm:

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Pleather with everything.
    Knock-off Moncler coats.
    Anything hipster. I don't really know what that implies, but it sounds good and is probably inline with the SF groupthink.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Details...where to kop?

4. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Well-Known Member

If you grew up in the UK, chances are that a school uniform was compulsory at secondary school (equivalent of high school). I went to an all boys school comprehensive school in the mid-80s and not only was a school uniform compulsory, but we were all assigned to a 'house' (mine was Oxford) and each house had their own badge wirh a house colour (a horizontal bar - Oxford was orange) which had to be sewn on to your blazer. The badge also denoted which year you were in.

Ties, if memory, serves correct, were regimental striped.

Posh? The clue is 'comprehensive' i.e. state school which did not restrict entry based upon academic qualifications. The classes were streamed (restricted by ability) after the 1st term.

Essentially, an attempt to make gentlemen out of boys who grew up on council estates. Not too dissimilar to 'Lord of the Flies'.

Looking back, and looking at kids now in their uniforms, it is a good idea to associates kids with a school's identity, and avoid the fashion shows if kids are allowed to wear casual clothing. I still remember one of the few days when we were allowed to attend school in our casual clothing. One kid attended in his school white shirt and black trousers and literally was 'cussed' (became the subject of ridicule) for the entire day.

Aside from reminiscences that scarred generations of children, I actually like the military, structured overcoats. The less said about the camp sports coat, the better. There does really need to be a SF Hall of Shame. That would be exhibit número uno.

P.s. This thread has whetted my appetite to check out a few of the menswear titles on the subject - especially the history of menswear to understand the difference between stylistic preferences and fashion vagaries.

5. printyra

printyra Active Member

-anything hipster
    -cargo pants
    -skinny jeans
    -camo
    -Sperrys

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

What a gross generalization. You shouldn't make sweeping statements about an entire demographic.

Wait...no...that's about right. Fucking hipsters. [​IMG]

7. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

This is completely true, IDK what the fuck that other guy was on about! :S

8. JapanAlex01

+1,000,000! OP is n00b of the year.

9. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Wonder how many hipsters are saying that hipsters are a ridiculous fashion trend?

1 person likes this.
  10. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Pleats predate trousers as we know them, so... no.

16th century:
    [​IMG]

17th century:
    [​IMG]

Look, I'm not trying to turn this into a discourse on pleats. But no one should be talking about pleats as a bad fashion trend. If you have a problem with pleats it is really a problem with the men wearing them. Take away their pleats and they'd still be poorly dressed.

11. mcbrown

[​IMG]

12. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

My original complaint was more that one was more "fashionable" than the other, i.e. it was trendy to wear pleats or flat fronts, rather than wear which was best for your body type.

13. mcbrown

This is my entire point: the notion that one or the other is inherently better for "your body type" has absolutely no basis in either design or in history. Flat front pants can be baggy and generous through the legs. Pleated pants can be closely fitted and trim. One design consideration has nothing to do with the other. Just because you think pleats are for "big" people and flat fronts are for "trim" people does not make it so.

14. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

Nordstrom has a camo pant in its current fall fashion guide, paired with a jacket with freakishly skinny lapels.

15. printyra

printyra Active Member

they were doing it before it was cool though... in typical hipster fashion

16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

(Un)fortunately, you have just exposed the fundamental problem with this thread...

1 person likes this.
  17. JapanAlex01

[​IMG]

Look, when you sit down--no matter how slim the pleated trousers are--they open up because of the extra folded material. Science. Now, do pleated trousers exist for the larger thigh, or to look slimmer when standing?

[​IMG]

18. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Even if there is an answer, you've probably never heard of it.

1 person likes this.
  19. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a hipster. At this point hipster= person under 40 doing something you don't like.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Q. How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. It's an obscure number you won't have heard of!:D

1 person likes this.