1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rider Boot Company

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnny_flapjack, Apr 21, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I'd be happy to make some measurements if you'd like. Unhappily, the samples are a size 9, which are too small for me, so I couldn't try them on and give comparisons, but I can make some measurements for you tomorrow. Just got back from hiking up in Glacier, so stay tuned tomorrow.

2. RIDER

RIDER Well-Known Member

Hi @kevenmee - any additional info you can share re: fitting issues? Lasts that do fit and sizes, as an example? I can try to help, but the general set-up for 3B last is it runs a bit large. Most trade down 1/2 size from standard (nevermind that there really is not a standard....) unless they are over size 11 - then stay the same.

Most of my lasts fit larger over the instep than you would typically find in a US style last (like A/E) and this is available for making in EE.

3B last is in the factory in:

5-16 D
    7-12 EE

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  3. kevenmee

kevenmee Active Member

@Rider, pm'ed you so I don't clutter up this thread.

Thanks for all the help!

4. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Well-Known Member

I
    I have the Walker and like them quite a bit. After about a year of wear, the only issue I've had is a bit of heel separation on one shoe, which was a $3 fix at my local shoe repair shop. No big deal. My only advice would be to follow Rider's sizing advice and size down by 1/2. I ordered my normal size, and they definitely run large.

5. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Seriously considering the kudu chelsea...I love the gnarly leather and it's a great price, but I already have sand suede chelseas from epaulet. So many choices - I could get the kudu in regular boot form from Truman

6. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Well-Known Member

Anyone have fit pics of the walker derbies? Preferably in a SWD setting..

I'm considering if they could be right for me, but I'm a bit worried they would be too sleek for SWD use. Juding by the photos, the toe looks more pointy than Alden's Barrie last or Raf Simon's derby, or what? To fit with a pretty minimalist aesthetic, e.g. Lemaire, COS, Stephan Scheider.. I'd like a round toe and somewhat chunky appearance.

Raf Simons derby:
    [​IMG]

Edit: Perhaps it's more comparable to Meermin's Rui last?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. Callusing

Callusing Well-Known Member

I've been considering them precisely as replacements for those Rafs. They're not quite as chunky-sleek, but they're damn close for a hell of a lot cheaper.

There was an old post over on reddit (goodyearwelt) that showed them off. Imgur album here.

Those are gonna be my first Rider purchase. It's a question of "when" not "if" by this point.

1 person likes this.
  8. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the link @Callusing . That's exactly what I was looking for! They do seem a bit narrower overall, would've liked the front of the shoe to be a bit wider and with a slightly rounder toe. They still look pretty good worn. And as you say, the price is great.

9. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

10. AMProf

AMProf Well-Known Member

This could get tough on my wallet.....all of this walking distance from my office.

11. AMProf

AMProf Well-Known Member

Just walked by the new Rider Boot store on Broad Street in Richmond (after picking up a couple of shirts being altered at Ledbury!). Got to meet the owner and learn about the store. Super nice and a great looking place. Go check it out. Some pictures.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

13. Sartorium

Sartorium Well-Known Member

I realize this was a while ago, but could you share what you learned about the care of roughout? I picked up a pair of the Reverso boots from Massdrop and have been googling around, looking for care tips with little success.

14. razl

razl Well-Known Member

No prob, I'll quote exactly what Ron kindly PM'd me:

No joke, I've pummeled mine and they still look like they did when they landed - and I've never used the Nano, just an occasional brushing.

And, darn it, you reminded me how upset I was that I missed out on those GIlberts! :brick:

15. Sartorium

Sartorium Well-Known Member

Thanks for digging that up, I foolishly put Renovateur on them right away, hopefully it doesn't permanently ruin the texture :/