1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Review of my Shell Cordovan Wallet

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rebel222, Oct 24, 2009.

1. brax

brax Well-Known Member

I considered the BB model but in real life (rather than pictures) the shell looks like plastic. The shine sits on the top rather than getting the deep color that we are accustomed to from Horween.

2. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

I just asked Foster & Son for a quote to copy a favourite wallet in cordovan. If BB OTR costs 400 bucks I think I better be sitting down when they tell me the price.

3. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Well-Known Member

Wow, really sharp.

Congratulations on having such a fantastic wife [​IMG]

4. brax

brax Well-Known Member

There is an inherent problem with getting a shell cordovan wallet. A shell is much thicker than traditional leather. I think that it is impossible go bend the shell to conform to the sharp corners of the wallet. There are no sharp corners on shoes. I gave two high end leather artisans the job of making me a shell wallet but each had the exact same problem. While I guess that it might be possible to have the corners thinned out, I've never seem it done. The compromise that Brooks Brothers and other wallet makers strike is to use the thinner, Japanese cordovan which is good but nowhere near the quality that Skip produces. My solution: rather than getting a traditional wallet, get a simple rectangular wallet with three card holders on each side. These can be made without having to bend the shell as much.

5. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

I like the wallet. Cordovan looks so much better on small leather goods then on shoes.

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I like the wallet. Cordovan looks so much better on small leather goods then on shoes.
    It looks really good on briefcases and document cases, too.

7. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

You guys should check this out:

Made by Whitehouse Cox of England using Horween Shell Cordovan at USD480
    [​IMG]

8. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

^^ Ooh that one is nice - all cordovan!

9. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

You guys should check this out:

Made by Whitehouse Cox of England using Horween Shell Cordovan at USD480
    [​IMG]

Looks good, but I prefer the contrast of the BB wallet.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

No pictures loaded over here. Links?

11. SJX

SJX Well-Known Member

The quality of construction is very nice. It is handmade in Japan. I am not sure what company makes it, but I am very happy with the construction.

I think it's probably made by Cypris. I have a similar wallet from that brand. Like this:

http://www.sutekikaiteki.com/fashion...is/cp5612.html

If it is indeed the same, then the interior will gain a patina with use.

Cypris uses cordovan as well as shell cordovan, the former is probably horsehide while the latter is shell, going by the price. The shell wallets I saw in Tokyo were $500 or so IIRC.

12. Checkerboard 13

Checkerboard 13 Well-Known Member

It's easy to tell from the OP's first pictures that the wallet is genuine shell.......

....It's empty!

Seriously, nice looking wallets.
    It appears that the solution to not being able to make tight bends in shell is to use flat pieces, allow the raw edges to be exposed, and stitch close to the edges. With that construction, the only bend necessary is where the wallet folds.

13. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

14. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Phew, that must have been some project - cordovan is tough!

15. NHorween

NHorween Active Member

There is an inherent problem with getting a shell cordovan wallet. A shell is much thicker than traditional leather.

Some shells are thicker than others, but it really does make for an amazing wallet. Some patterns require more skill and skiving than others, but shell in it's completed state is a relative reasonable thickness, especially as far as some leather goes.