1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Return of the Double Breasted Suit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ebonyman, Sep 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Well-Known Member

Good-looking suit on Ebonyman. I actually have an almost identical "regular" Polo one that was made right here where I live in Syracuse, NY at the former Learbury factory about 15 years ago and it's still in great condition. Learbury made suits for Polo and Brooks Brothers until all the elderly Italian women they had making them eventually died off, the economy changed (same thing happened to Nettleton, a local shoe manufacturer on a par with AE) and lots of things basically went to shit.

My question is with the turn toward thinner lapels even on a DB, does anyone regard the lapel width on his suit as too wide? Same deal wiith the third picture of the striped one posted by TheDarkKnight?

2. dc1976

dc1976 Member

Just wanted to comment on your DB seersucker pic you posted. I could never pull this off, but on you, if I saw you coming I'd see man I needed to take seriously. :)

3. styledoc

styledoc New Member

I just purchased a double breasted suit from ralph lauren and it came with unhemmed flat front trousers. Should I get the hem cuffed or plain?

4. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

6. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

What color, pattern and weight is the cloth, what shoe style do you wear with this suit?

You may what to do plain, no cuff

7. Snedley

Snedley Well-Known Member

DB is out and has been for a long time. The extra material just isn't good for modern conditions. Perhaps before good heating everywhere it kept you warmer.

8. styledoc

styledoc New Member

charcoal with thin pinstripes, wool suit

9. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Well-Known Member

+ Fred Astaire.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

I think the second one (black) looks good.

11. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

Looking good! [​IMG]

12. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

:happy: I must admit I feel the same way, I thought it was just me.

I'm not sure my suit collection will ever get big enough that I'll want to mix things up with a DB suit, I feel like SB suits me better. Even if I had a DZb I'd probably ignore it in favor of a SB. But I've sworn off other things only to be swayed by SF...

13. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

I watched "Casablanca" again last night partly to see what kind of doublebreasted suits they wore in the movie. I'm kind of interested in getting one of these.

Bogart wears a white suit that has only two buttons and the lapel is neither peaked or notched. He also wore a black bow tie. Laslo wears a white six (three?) button suit with a regular tie.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Rick's was a shawl-lapel dinner jacket. Not a lounge suit. And Laslo's was a lounge suit, quite nice, that seemed to me to be tan or khaki, not white. Admittedly, the film is in black and white. I guess the hated colorized version would settle the question.

15. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw another jacket kind of like it online and it was called a dinner jacket. I agree that Laslo's suit might've been tan or off-white.

16. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I personally think the white DB shawl dinner jacket would be hard to pull off, but a tan DB suit would look great.

17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

18. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

The Churchwells present an accessible standard of dress for The Everyman.

I suggest that all future StyFo "advice building a wardrobe" threads simply get an auto-response of several Churchwell photographs by Rose Callahan.

19. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

I watched Casablanca again last night- this time looking more closely at how everyone was dressing. I was surprised at how many of the actors were wearing double breasted suits. Most of the civilians in Rick's club were wearing them and most of them were white or light colored.

Rick wears the:
    white dinner jacket
    a black pinstripe DB suit
    a solid black DB suit
    a grey DB suit
    and a grey 2 button suit (I think).

I thought it was very interesting. Were DB suits the big style in those days?

Incidentally I bought an Ermenegildo Zega double breasted jacket from Ebay. I'll let everyone know how it fits etc. ASAP.