1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Resume Formats

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by deadly7, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Whoa! When did you become "the man"? [​IMG] I always thought you were still working for "the man" but as an executive.

~7 yrs ago.

Moving to a developing market brings you up a rung or four.

2. exaequo

exaequo Member

This is incredibly wrong and dangerously bad advice. In my world, LinkedIn is becoming the predominant networking and job search tool. Our last three hires relied all or mostly on LinkedIn in terms of attracting our internal corporate recruiter. In my opinion, a great LinkedIn profile is far more important than a great resume. Resumes are only seen by people you send them to. LinkedIn is a public, appropriate set of personal billboards of experience.
    Your Linkedin is going to be one of the first things anyone who googles you sees. It's invaluable. It's a free and easy way to market yourself. It doesn't replace a resume in most circumstances, but it's a tool everyone should use more than they do.

I personally google just about everyone that I am dealing with on regular basis and always check their linkedin if they have one.

3. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

Anyone got an example of what they consider to be an excellent LinkedIn profile? I am in the camp of people who never gave them much thought. Most people I work with and have come across have at least a few lines but it is not something critical.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

So since my promotion officially kicks in on April 1st and I am a believe in keeping my resume up to date even though I have no intention of sending it to anyone...

How do you guys like to handle multiple positions at the same company?
    It is not a big change (just adding Senior to my title) but right now my resume only has a single title per job/internship.

Right now it is basically
    Code:

COMPANY City, St
    Job Title January 1900 to June 1900
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2

COMPANY TWO City, St
    etc...​

Seems to me the best way to work it in would be:
    Code:

COMPANY City, St
    New Job Title June 1900 to Present
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2

COMPANY TWO City, St​

In this case, the job responsibilities are about the same so that would work...if the responsibilities change significantly would it be better to add bullets under the new job before the old title? This seems like it would be better but a little messier than doing somehting like skipping the description for the old title.

5. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

^^ That's a good question. Since I'll be working in another dept with almost completely different responsibilities, I'm not sure how to handle that either.

6. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

So since my promotion officially kicks in on April 1st and I am a believe in keeping my resume up to date even though I have no intention of sending it to anyone...

It is not a big change (just adding Senior to my title) but right now my resume only has a single title per job/internship.

Right now it is basically
    Code:

COMPANY City, St
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2

COMPANY TWO City, St
    etc...​

Seems to me the best way to work it in would be:
    Code:

COMPANY City, St
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2

COMPANY TWO City, St​

In this case, the job responsibilities are about the same so that would work...if the responsibilities change significantly would it be better to add bullets under the new job before the old title? This seems like it would be better but a little messier than doing something like skipping the description for the old title.

I have it basically as two separate jobs on my resume with different dates, titles, and responsibilities. I have mine formatted so its basically:

Company Location
    Title Dates

so I just added another set of title and dates. For promotions, you just put what your highest title was, but in my case I switched to a whole different department, so it was important to note the distinction.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I have it basically as two separate jobs on my resume with different dates, titles, and responsibilities. I have mine formatted so its basically:

Company Location
    Title Dates

so I just added another set of title and dates. For promotions, you just put what your highest title was, but in my case I switched to a whole different department, so it was important to note the distinction.

So if the responsibilities are different (mine aren't...basically just higher level stuff from the current level with a higher billing rate)...I'd try do do something like this

Code:

COMPANY City, St
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2
    * Bullet 3
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2

COMPANY TWO City, St​

Giving a little more content to the more recent roles but enough background on the previous role where it is clear that it was different from the current role and they don't have to guess at what you actually did.

8. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

So if the responsibilities are different (mine aren't...basically just higher level stuff from the current level with a higher billing rate)...I'd try do do something like this

Code:

COMPANY City, St
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2
    * Bullet 3
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2

COMPANY TWO City, St​

Giving a little more content to the more recent roles but enough background on the previous role where it is clear that it was different from the current role and they don't have to guess at what you actually did.

no, I wouldnt really put it like that.

year 1 analyst: analyzed shit
    year 3 senior analyst: analyzed higher level shit?

I think its implied. Unless your really changing positions or taking on different roles, I would just roll it all up to highest level possible.

So

XYZ Corp
    Senior Analyst. Analyzed a wide range of shit.

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I think its implied. Unless your really changing positions or taking on different roles, I would just roll it all up to highest level possible.

So

XYZ Corp
    Senior Analyst. Analyzed a wide range of shit.

Yes, I was just thinking that is what I would put if I were in Eason's position with a significant change in responsibilities.

On mine, I will just keep a similar set of descriptions but list both positions (I would like the resume to show that I was promoted quickly) like in my first example. The next promotion however would require a new set of descriptions; some of the basic tasks would be the same but the would be completely new things like client interaction and supervision of people.

10. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing it like this:

Lecturer (Exercise Science); Fitness Club Administrator, Coach: Hong Kong Baptist University - United International College; June 2011-Present
    •\tblah blah
    •\tblah blah
    •\tblah blah
    Lecturer (English I/II): Hong Kong Baptist University - United International College; August 2010-June 2011
    •\tblah blah
    •\tblah blah
    •\tblah blah

Because I put my title first on my CV, not the company... but I'm sure prof. fab can tell me the industry standard way of doing it.

11. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Mine looks basically like this:

Company - Job/Senior Job/Regional Job
    words words words, was promoted to the role of senior job which involved words words words. Was subsequently offered additional regional responsibilities that include words words words.

12. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

just printed my resume out on both a granite and plain white 32 lb resume paper. I'm applying for at jobs/internships, should I just stick with the white or is the granite worth it? it's subtle but I'm worried it still might be affected.

13. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

My resume: [​IMG]
    just printed my resume out on both a granite and plain white 32 lb resume paper. I'm applying for at jobs/internships, should I just stick with the white or is the granite worth it? it's subtle but I'm worried it still might be affected.
    Fuck so annoying. Just use a reasonable regular white laser paper. Stand out through your resume's content, not appearance.

14. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

Here is what I have done:

COMPANY City, St
    Senior Analyst January 1900 to June 1900
    * Bullet 1
    * Bullet 2
    * Worked as a Jr. Analyst for two years prior to being promoted to Senior Analyst.

I always worry about length (that's what she said) on resumes. So if I can avoid taking up a lot of space I do. I would say unless the additional responsibilities are key to getting the next job-leave them off. Just showing that you received a promotion is huge. You want to make that clear on you resume.

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

I would also take out the "provide references upon request". I've never understood that on resumes. Of course you would provide references upon request.

+1

16. yeungjai

yeungjai Well-Known Member

I do technical recruiting, so I disagree with the 1 page resume statement (at least in certain contexts). For highly technical staff, there's just too much to put down. The nature of technical roles also lends itself to be easily searchable for key words and phrases. E.g.:

If you're a developer, I don't want to read "I developed web-based applications for XYZ". That's useless to me. I need to know whether you used J2EE, Java, .Net, or what-have-you because you either have it, or you don't and you can't BS it so don't have me waste my time trying to figure it out.

I know many recruiters who would likely disagree with me, but so long as content is relevant and concise, I'd rather see a longer resume than a shorter one. It's much easier for me to read through a thorough (and RELEVANT) account of what you've done than to have a whole bunch of gaps that would force me to find the time to get you on the phone to fill in those gaps. I'm not going to spend that time unless there is NOBODY else to consider. This includes your accomplishments, the hard skills, and environmental context (e.g. a Director-level role in a company of 100 is different from a Director-level role in a company of 10,000).

I also don't mind seeing 'objective' statements, so long as they're purposeful. Reading "I want to work with X company because they're a great place to work" is useless. "I want to obtain a position as a Financial Analyst" also doesn't say anything. Tell me in your objective not the role or the company you want, but the nature of the work you're looking for and what your value-prop is with respect to such work.

So, in brief, show:

Titles, dates of employment, company
    Hard skills and niche but important tools used (everybody has Word, PP and Excel on their resume. If you want to put down Excel, show me you know more than how to write a sum function)
    Key accomplishments, including leadership, turn-around situations, yada yada yada
    Environmental context: e.g. Consulting function of a top 4 specializing in X offerings to Y industries
    Description of core duties of the role, and preferably none of that operational crap like:
    "Typed in code in a speedy and accurate manner".

Comments?

17. yeungjai

yeungjai Well-Known Member

Ok, a question for the pros here.
    How do you reconcile the issue of protecting your privacy while having a widely-visible profile?
    I mean, would you print 1000 copies of your resume and hand them out at the mall?
    LinkedIn allows you to restrict profile views to connections or friends of connections, but doesn't this restrict a lot of its advantages as well?

If you're going to put yourself on LinkedIn, you're going to put yourself out there. What's the point of hiding?

The thing about LI though, is that unless the person viewing you has paid into one of the premium accounts, they won't find you unless you are in some way part of their network. That means either they're connected to you, they're connected to somebody who's connected to you, or they're connected to somebody who's connected to somebody who's connected to you.

If you have 3 connections on your LI profile, I won't say it's useless but you're definitely going to have more luck if you had 300 connections, even if you didn't personally know a single one of them.

All of this presupposes that you have something to offer that others actually want. For most students and unskilled labour, stick with job boards and other methods.

18. rshternb

rshternb Member

How would projecting confidence work into a resume? Take into consideration this is for an internship but the job description asks for someone very experienced in excel with the concluding line stating the ideal candidate is essentially an expert. I'm an econ major that has taken accounting courses, statistical economics, business courses, and of course the traditional macro and micro. I would say I have moderate experience with the program, but maybe not necessarily an expert. At the same time I am confident that I could easily learn, on my own time, any aspect of excel needed of me (Especially since I have little else to do over the summer)
    Would adding a line such as "Would not be applying for this job if I were not 100% confident I could handle or learn to handle any analysis task assigned." or something of that nature, personalized to the specific job help? Would that make me stick out? In a good way? In a bad way?

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

This. LinkedIn is not all it's cracked up to be.

Disagree. My last two jobs came from headhunters who found my Linkedin profile.

20. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Disagree. My last two jobs came from headhunters who found my Linkedin profile.

Same here. LinkedIn is really valuable.