1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by username79, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

BMI is archaic. According to BMI I'm overweight or obese or something like that, when in reality I'm only like 10% body fat. There's better measures of health than BMI, tons of them.

2. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Well-Known Member

This is really impressive man. Congrats on your health. I try to eat as healthy as possible as well and have broken down all my calories as you have. My question to you is with all the physical activity you do how the hell do you get by on just 79g of carbs?? That's insane. Are you ever hungry?? Congrats on getting sodium level s down to 500mg and below. That is extremely hard to do. Even eating "clean" I am still at around 2500 due to eggs, turkey and breads.
    A low carb diet is very doable, once your body adjusts to the lower amount and if you are getting enough healthy fats in your diet. The whole "you need lots of carbs for energy" bit is a myth; as long as the rest of your diet is set at the right macros you can get by just fine on minimal carbs. PS. Yup, BMI is very inadequate for measuring healthy weight: I have a BMI of 25 which is "obese" according to the guidelines yet I sit at 9-10% BF. Not even close to obese!

3. Hartmann

Hartmann Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he's still alive at 159lbs and 6'2''.

Sounds more like an experiment in starvation justified through the title "healthy diet experiment and cost".

I guess it just goes to show that the human body is quite adaptable I guess.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I read through this thread and it was like swings of wow really good info and goddamn bitches with sand up their vaginas.

I've been trying to eat all organic foods and yesterday I spent $100 trying to feed myself for the week (+$45 for 2 weeks worth of wine).

[​IMG] Is somebody going to come and bitch at me about what a bad idea buying organic food is

5. LucasCLarson

LucasCLarson Well-Known Member

I guess it just goes to show that the human body is quite adaptable I guess.

Yeah, I guess.

FWIW, I'm 5'9 and 170lbs @ 8% bf. I spend $30-$35 a week in food.

6. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

It seems like you have a LOT of water for the amount of electrolytes you are intaking... How do you feel after a long workout (hr plus?)

7. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he's still alive at 159lbs and 6'2''.

Sounds more like an experiment in starvation justified through the title "healthy diet experiment and cost".

This was my weight/height for the past 6 years. Skinny for sure, but you can still be plenty strong at this strength. As an example, doing 3x5 weighted chins w/ 90lbs was my max. I never truly ate healthy, just did a lot. Recently I've changed my diet drastically and am going to see about gaining some weight/muscle.

8. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

It seems like you have a LOT of water for the amount of electrolytes you are intaking... How do you feel after a long workout (hr plus?)
    Pretty freaking tired after a 6 mile run yesterday at 2 PM in 102 degree heat. Then I went to the gym and did squats. After that was able to go out for a few hours. Hit the bed like a rock at 11:30..

9. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess.

FWIW, I'm 5'9 and 170lbs @ 8% bf. I spend $30-$35 a week in food.

Can you breakdown what you eat for $35/wk? I have a hard time imagining eating that cheaply even shopping packaged food at Walmart.

10. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

I read through this thread and it was like swings of wow really good info and goddamn bitches with sand up their vaginas.

I've been trying to eat all organic foods and yesterday I spent $100 trying to feed myself for the week (+$45 for 2 weeks worth of wine).

[​IMG] Is somebody going to come and bitch at me about what a bad idea buying organic food is

just come eat in korea yeahhhhhhhh

11. NoStyle14

NoStyle14 Well-Known Member

username79,

why don't you just post pics to put ppl at rest? show them your result and be proud of what you have done. of course there will be ppl who will judge you but lot of ppl are curious as to you result.

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

This was my weight/height for the past 6 years. Skinny for sure, but you can still be plenty strong at this strength. As an example, doing 3x5 weighted chins w/ 90lbs was my max. I never truly ate healthy, just did a lot. Recently I've changed my diet drastically and am going to see about gaining some weight/muscle.

3x5 weighted chins with 90lbs at any bodyweight is a righteous achievement.

13. rjmaiorano

3x5 weighted chins with 90lbs at any bodyweight is a righteous achievement.

Thanks. But gymnasts and a lot of my climbing buddies would (do) laugh at me.

14. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on gymnasts. Stronger than me, more flexible than me, more ripped than me.... Bastards.

15. LucasCLarson

Wow! That's impressive. I'm surprised. Nice job, man.

16. rjmaiorano

Wow! That's impressive. I'm surprised. Nice job, man.

Thanks. Your comments on skinniness don't go unnoticed however. Recently I've chosen do gain some weight and joined an actual gym and have noticed how small I am in comparison to most. Usually I'm all outdoors and all bodyweight.... a lot of trail running, rock climbing, rowing and some basic gymnast stuff to keep me honest.. never really tried to get big. But in seeing myself against the guys at the gym, the weight I move is not far off from guys a lot bigger than me. Except in squats which I am = to a child.

Funny too, is that since I've chosen to bulk, 3x5 w/ 90lbs around me is no longer possible in chins/pulls... hopefully only temporarily.

17. Blackpool

Blackpool New Member

Thanks. Your comments on skinniness don't go unnoticed however. Recently I've chosen do gain some weight and joined an actual gym and have noticed how small I am in comparison to most. Usually I'm all outdoors and all bodyweight.... a lot of trail running, rock climbing, rowing and some basic gymnast stuff to keep me honest.. never really tried to get big. But in seeing myself against the guys at the gym, the weight I move is not far off from guys a lot bigger than me. Except in squats which I am = to a child.

Funny too, is that since I've chosen to bulk, 3x5 w/ 90lbs around me is no longer possible in chins/pulls... hopefully only temporarily.

People who try to bulk have to eat a damn lot so the strength to weight ratio goes a bit skewed. And lean muscle can be surprisingly strong but hey, everyone wants be at least look as strong as they feel.

I'm impressed you made such a drastic change. Everyone knows being healthy is good for you and all the benefits are listed for them, but no one actually puts the effort in to seize the benefits.

18. darnelled

darnelled Well-Known Member

I admire the OP for his efforts, but the size he is sounds crazy to me.

I'm also 6'2 and the last time I was 160 lbs was when I was literally a starving medical student on surgery rotations. I ate healthy, but never sat down or slept. I looked like a concentration camp survivor.

19. LucasCLarson

Thanks. Your comments on skinniness don't go unnoticed however. Recently I've chosen do gain some weight and joined an actual gym and have noticed how small I am in comparison to most. Usually I'm all outdoors and all bodyweight.... a lot of trail running, rock climbing, rowing and some basic gymnast stuff to keep me honest.. never really tried to get big. But in seeing myself against the guys at the gym, the weight I move is not far off from guys a lot bigger than me. Except in squats which I am = to a child. Funny too, is that since I've chosen to bulk, 3x5 w/ 90lbs around me is no longer possible in chins/pulls... hopefully only temporarily.
    I didn't mean for you to take it personally, btw. I was just very surprised. Your diet example contained not nearly the amount of food someone as active as you needs to function at their best--especially someone who claims they are mesomorphic. Nothing wrong with any of those activities. I wish I did more of them. I know it's been beaten to death, but if you're new to lifting give starting strength or another simple 5x5 program a go. Up your calories a bit (250-500cals/week) and see how you put on weight. Assuming you truly are mesomorphic, you shouldn't have a problem putting on a TON of quality muscle relatively quickly. Good luck! Squats, deadlifts, and presses measure real strength, btw!

20. matt22616

matt22616 Well-Known Member

I think it must depend on your personal body composition, because I'm 153 at 6'1" and have plenty of fat on me. Its my third workout on stronglifts 5X5 tomorrow though. I am in immense pain.