1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Restoration Hardware-- any experience?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Concordia, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

We have to refill a summer house that's getting a bit of work done, and had thought to try a sofa and some bath hardware from Restoration Hardware as it looks about like what we want and appears to be reasonably well-made. Any experiences to share on that front? Alternate purveyors to sample?

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Nice stores with a lot of interesting stuff. I've never purchased any big ticket items from there though.

3. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

Their hardware is overpriced. I used to be a merchandise buyer of bath hardware (not for Restoration). Much of it is from the same factories that Home Depot, Lowe's, and even Target use, but at a 100-300% premium. Their margins on bath hardware have got to be redonkulous (hardware in general is a high margin product group though).

Can you show me a pull or knob that you're looking at? What finishes are you interested in (polished chrome, satin nickle, oil rubbed bronze, 'rust', etc?)

I did find it very instructive how much premium they could charge by putting the same products in a different location, different store, with a different atmosphere. I guess that's part of J.Crew's success in selling Made in China silk ties for $60 that you can buy for $15 at JC Penny.

I typed in 'cabinet pull' at Home Depot and Lowe's online and got 1000 and 700 results. Both of their webstores have a much bigger selection than their in-stock store selections. A few years ago they used to offer free shipping all the time, or free shipping if you order more than $50 (not hard with bath hardware). Not sure if they are still doing that or not.

Even Target lists 400+ pieces online, although in person only their biggest stores will have it stocked and then only from 3ft to maybe 9ft of aisle space.

PM me if you want to know more about cabinet knobs, pulls, and hinges than you ever dreamed of.

4. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Not just knobs per se-- faucets, showers, that sort of thing. New bathrooms.

Nickel finish, slightly old-fashioned designs wanted.

5. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

We just finished a huge reno, we used RH in our bathrooms, as they make very highquality vanities with really thick marble tops. They are really expensive, but worth it.
    Their finishes are very good.
    They have outlets, where the price to value ratio goes up considerably.

We purchased 3 double sink vanities
    2 single
    All the bathroom hardware
    Towels etc.

We have bought some furniture.

If you are looking for sofas and what not, I would look at Lee in S.C. Lee is an awesome brand and you can go through a local distributor and get like 50% off retail (mid to expensive at retail).

They have amazing construction and very wonderful designs/fabrics (like a suit!).

Oh, RH are idiots, they totaly messed up or orders and ended up only charging us for about 20% of what we ordered, after repeated attempts to give them their money back, I gave up.

6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

We found some accessories there at good prices, like mirrors, but the furniture is expensive for what you get.

We bought a lot of furniture at Ralph Lauren when they have had their twice a year floor sample sales. I got a $850 lamp recently for $175. It is beautiful.

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

i own several deco leather chairs, some lamps and bathroom fixtures. furniture is great - mine were made through a company called mitchell / gold. I've been quite happy with the products and continue to frequent the stores/catalogs.

8. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Well-Known Member

i've used their paint, window treatments, bath towels and rugs as well as a towel bar and towel ring i picked up there.

all really decent quality imo. most of what i got was on sale tho so that helps.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Nice candles too. I wonder who makes them for RH.

10. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

11. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Hey, I was check out out some of Restoration Hardware's hinges and pulls and i like them alot but I find the prices a bit steep.
    I'm mostly interested in Oiled bronze finishes. Any advice?

12. TheWhipHand

TheWhipHand Member

I cannot recommend purhcasing any big ticket items from Restoration Hardware.

In September 2012, I ordered two oval back dinning chairs. Although made in China, the chairs were custom and took approximately 3 months to make and ship. In December, the delivery company here in Dallas called me to inform me that both chairs had been broken. RH apologized and placed an order for two new chairs. They also stated that they would consider refunding my shipping. Fast forward to March 2013 - the delivery company informs me that one of the chairs is broken. I called RH and cancelled my order. RH pleaded with me to take delivery of one chair. When I asked how long the second chair would take, they stated that it would be an additional three months. Would it have arrived in one piece? I'll never know; I cancelled my order. In those six months, I could have whittled 8 of those chairs with a pen knife.

A friend of mine had a similar problem. She ordered a teak table. The table arrived (3 months later), and guess what, it wasn't teak. She told me that it was nearly impossible to return the table.

In sum, I am not against buying anything in store, but I will never order a piece of furniture from them again.

Terrible experience

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I use them now and again for odds and ends, usually hardware, ceiling mount lamps, ect.

The teak used by most of the cheapo joints like RH, west elm, ect, is very rapidly grown on a plantation and is not of nearly the same quality as the higher end manufactures like Knoll, Stua, gloster, or similar.

'Plantation grown' doesn't make it bad, but the pace at which they cut it does.

14. Grenadier

Grenadier Well-Known Member

I like RH's linen bedding, but I've heard too many horror stories about everything else. I don't particularly like the stores, which are far too grey.

15. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I remember when I was a kid...they used to have all these cool little things like magnets and dental mirrors on the ends of telescoping sticks.

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

We bought a small leather sofa from Restoration Hardware. It's nice, and has held up well, even under constant abuse from my kids.

17. audiophilia

audiophilia Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed when visiting the store. Expected much more from their rep. That said, my brother just did his whole beach house in the stuff.

18. AbrahamLebowitz

AbrahamLebowitz Member

Restoration Hardware makes good quality products, they're built to last and aren't crap. However, they are notorious for being overpriced. Whether or not to spend the money is your decision, however I think it's worth it.