1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Restaurant Week

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Just wanted to give a heads up to all DC residents that Restaurant Week is next week. Â These participating restaurants are offering a 3-course prix fixe menu for $20.05 for lunch and $30.05 for dinner. Â I've been to several of them and they are uniformly excellent. Â Get your reservations in now, as they fill up quickly.

2. alaaro

alaaro Well-Known Member

definitely. Restaurant Week is pretty solid. Be sure to check out the selected menus first before going. Some places open up the entire menu, but some have very limited selections. So make sure you check it, especially if you need vegeterian, dont like seafood, etc.

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

I wish they would hold this at the end of March to early April, am making plans for the Cherry Blossom Festival at the moment, and that would be such a great plus to going to DC.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

DC restaurants know you're coming when the blossoms are out. They offer this special to keep people coming in the offseason; and man, is it ugly out today.

I went to Poste Moderne Brasserie (too manye e's?) last night for Restaurant Week, and it was pretty great. I'm a novice foodie, so I'm somewhat easliy impressed, but the food was great and the service snappy, if a little sterile - we never exchanged more than a few words with our server.

Ordered the rockfish over potatoes, topped with a red wine-poached egg. Excellent. Also the dessert of doughnuts (fluffy but substantial donut holes), served with a shot glass of hot cider and a dish of apple butter. GF went veggie, got winter vegetables and a cheese platter that were at least par. Apps of a nutty celery-root soup and a pretty standard bruschetta trio were tasty.

With wine/water/coffee/tea/tip, $130. I could've gotten some new Grensons for that...

Worth it just to walk through the Hotel Monaco to get to the restroom, fantastic looking hotel.

5. alaaro

alaaro Well-Known Member

I hit up Vidalia and Mie N Yu for REstaurant Week. Both were pretty solid.

Vidalia (dinner):
    Sweet potato soup with nutmeg meringue, dried fruit chutney, fried sage

Southern Style Cassoulet-braised pork belly and shoulder, country sausage, cornmeal fried bacon, butterbeans and cider au jus

Black Forest Shortcake with morello cherry compote and kirsch sabayon

Mie N Yu (brunch):
    Banana hummus with flatbread and fried plantains

Vietnamese lettuce wraps with shredded veal, vegetables, sweet soy sauce

Butter Ripple ice cream

Both were solid. Vidalia is constantly a 5 star restaurant, according to Washingtonian, with good reason.