• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spent the holiday weekend in Chicago, and dined at Roy's, L20, and Girl and the Goat.

- Roy's had a wonderfully delicious butterfish. We hadn't plan to go there but due to a late arrival in Chicago we ate where we could be seated. Overall not bad.

- L2O provided the best service I've had in years. We had the 10 course "luxury" menu that had a few dishes that were outstanding but others were meh. Again, impressive service.

- Girl and the Goat was the best of the three by far. It was a fun experience with excellent food. Interestingly, it was the cheapest of the three meals but the most enjoyable which goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a great dining experience. Before I left there I was thinking about my return trip so I could try other items on the menu. I can't wait to go back.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
- Girl and the Goat was the best of the three by far. It was a fun experience with excellent food. Interestingly, it was the cheapest of the three meals but the most enjoyable which goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a great dining experience. Before I left there I was thinking about my return trip so I could try other items on the menu. I can't wait to go back.
Glad you liked it. It really is good food, and a great atmosphere. The beer list is pretty good too, if you're into that. I personally love the service there, as they are very kind and professional, even if they aren't the "invisible ideal" that SField pops wood over.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Yep, good service with a very knowledgeable staff. It was also nice to know that Stephanie was there in the kitchen.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Spring in Paris. Best dining experience I've had in a long time. Chef Daniel Rose spent 15-20 minutes chatting with my wife and me as the evening wound down. He's a friendly, talented young man.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That sounds right. I could never eat 2 portions of kalbi where I go - unless that's all I eat and I'm not eating any rice, kimchi, *** chae and other good stuff.

kalbi I get is always boneless and there's definitely more than the meat from 2 ribs in each portion. I don't know how many ribs you get when ordering la kalbi

Korean restaurants are the ultimate hustle in America - we get maybe a half pound of uncooked weight for $15 here for really crappy meat, maybe $50 a serve if you want marbled, domestic cattle (not hand massaged and beer fed, like the Japanese do, but along a similar premise, Asian free-range cattle)... that is at like a 2X markup.
That English shortrib cut that US Korean places for LA is dirt cheap, I used to buy a lot of it in college at the supermarket because it was, well, better than top round, which was the only other beef I could afford to buy on a regular basis.
ffffuuuu.gif
They really can't charge $15 a strip, can they? That is phenomenal... must get into the Korean restaurant hustle... that and $10 bibimbaps and I'll be rich...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally love The Capital Grille. Somewhat spendy but I have never enjoyed a meal more.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I personally love The Capital Grille. Somewhat spendy but I have never enjoyed a meal more.
I like their salmon hash and sweet potato fries.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you had their AuGratin potatoes? Best potato dish I've ever had. I'll have to try the fries next time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Have you had their AuGratin potatoes? Best potato dish I've ever had. I'll have to try the fries next time.
No, I'll have to try them.

cairomerta

Reaction score
YOu know this place just opened here in LA at the beverly center and I am dying to try it. It looks great with that old school vibe.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Glad you liked it. It really is good food, and a great atmosphere. The beer list is pretty good too, if you're into that. I personally love the service there, as they are very kind and professional, even if they aren't the "invisible ideal" that SField pops wood over.

Well ******* you'd better learn how to be invisible if you want to work at Trotter's. SUCK IT IN!!!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place for a steak in Santa Monica or the westside of LA?
How is BOA?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how good my LA geography is, so if Sunset Strip is not the west side, sorry... but I enjoyed BLT Steak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads