1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Resoling your shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by retronotmetro, Jun 23, 2004.

1. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

As someone who has used AE recrafting numerous (5+) times over the years (pre-SF), as well as having had many pairs of shoes worked on by local cobblers... I find a good local cobbler much much better.

Recently, I had the POLO (C&J) Chukka's resoled at Tom's in Chicago for $80, and he did a beautiful job. He knew the boots were super duper and said so when he took them in... I think they are better than new as he gave me a double leather sole.

This is of course in keeping with the fact that you are buying off Bluefly and not paying the $850 retail price for the shoes.

2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

^heavyd, could you post pics of the resoled chukkas?

I've considered sending a pair of C&J Polos off to B. Nelson for resoling.

3. Will

Will Well-Known Member

When you send shoes to EG for re-conditioning you get more than a new sole. They repair the uppers and finish them to look like new. It's more than the service available from the local cobbler and proportionate to the cost of the shoes when new.

As Hardy Amies wrote years ago, "to fail to care for good shoes is profligacy."

4. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Perhaps the European shoemakers set their repair prices not based on their reasonable costs but based on the fact that there isn't a single repair shop in the US capable of resoling high end shoes?

There certainly are. My local cobbler -- here in Grand Forks, North Dakota -- does a resoling job that is every single bit as good as ANY resoling I've ever seen, including the most durable leather I've ever encountered and hidden chanels. This is all for US$55 (that is with an all-rubber heel, though...a stacked leather one would be more).