1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Resistance Bands - Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by willpower, Apr 9, 2011.

1. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

I've been getting some really good workouts from them, especially arms but how do they compare to regular free weights? One big thing with the bands is I don't know how much "weight" I'm lifting.

2. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I do a tricep band complex every once in a while at the gym. Basically, I'll use the band for a press-down (it's attached to an overhead bar) and super-set it with dips, also using the band. The dips are done on my knees.

They serve their purpose in a routine but I certainly wouldn't rate them anything close to a staple.

3. pronov

pronov Active Member

I bought some bodylastics style bands to use at home, watched the videos of terrell owens doing various workouts at the cowboys facility and tried it myself. it seems like a good substitute for at home use and doesn't take up much space but it definately isn't the same as lifting free weights. I snapped on a 25lb band and a 20lb band and repped out 350 curls in each arm one day, wasn't sore at all that day or the next. If I tried to do that with free weights my arms would fall off.

I'm kind of on the fence about them just because I already bought over 250lbs worth of bands, you can do lunges and squats with them but I wish there was a bar attachment that I could put on my back instead of holding them behind my shoulders. What they say about it really being up to your imagination on how to use them is really true (watch the bodylastics youtube channel to see the various exercises you can do). I could definately see taking these traveling with me and getting a workout in at the hotel.

4. willpower

I bought some bodylastics style bands to use at home, watched the videos of terrell owens doing various workouts at the cowboys facility and tried it myself. it seems like a good substitute for at home use and doesn't take up much space but it definately isn't the same as lifting free weights. I snapped on a 25lb band and a 20lb band and repped out 350 curls in each arm one day, wasn't sore at all that day or the next. If I tried to do that with free weights my arms would fall off.

I watched a bunch of the bodylastics vids last night, thx.

Did you try the suggestion of holding onto the band directly rather than via the handle?

This particular exercise just killed me:

5. mm84321

mm84321 Well-Known Member

Did you try the suggestion of holding onto the band directly rather than via the handle?
    I do this all the time. Personally, I prefer resistance bands to free weights.

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

I put them around my ankles and step side to side.

actually I'm thinking of a thing that looks like a big rubberband

7. dimshum

dimshum Well-Known Member

I thought about them for traveling purposes, but after some thought realized they're kind of useless - bodyweight exercises are far more effective. The resistance/weight is inconsistent with bands, unlike free weights/bodyweight.

8. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

I have a set of bodylastics...used to use them all the time, but have transitioned to using actual free weights. If done properly with enough resistance, they can provide a killer workout. I love using them for resisted pushups.

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

I have a set of bodylastics. I use them mostly for specific rotator cuff prehab/injury prevention exercises. Other than that I don't see what else I could do with them that free weight or bodyweight exercises could do better.

10. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I put them around my ankles and step side to side.

actually I'm thinking of a thing that looks like a big rubberband

These are also popular at my gym.

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

I use resistance bands for my outdoor sessions. Use them for:

- Lateral raises
    - Bent over flies
    - Hammer curls (a few varieties)
    - Dips
    - Push ups

They're good. I only need one. if I want more resistance, I'll bring my grip closer

12. reactmma

reactmma Well-Known Member

+1 as long as you know how to use them, IT WORKS!

13. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

I have a set of bodylastics. I use them mostly for specific rotator cuff prehab/injury prevention exercises. Other than that I don't see what else I could do with them that free weight or bodyweight exercises could do better.

This.

14. eltoshan

eltoshan Member

Can you also use them for assisted pull ups?

15. JoelF

JoelF Well-Known Member

Can you also use them for assisted pull ups?

Yeah they work for that. My pullups still suck (stuck at 6 or 7 unassisted) but the bands definitely help for pullup training.

16. Binker

Binker Well-Known Member

never used them in my life til like a month, month and a half ago. now i absolutely love them for shoulder workouts, i do all my raise movements with them. the feel is so different to dumbbells, with bands i feel the raises DEEP in my shoulders and only in my shoulders. perhaps its because you can keep your forearms more relaxed throughout the movement

17. willpower

never used them in my life til like a month, month and a half ago. now i absolutely love them for shoulder workouts, i do all my raise movements with them. the feel is so different to dumbbells, with bands i feel the raises DEEP in my shoulders and only in my shoulders. perhaps its because you can keep your forearms more relaxed throughout the movement

I'm definitely seeing better definition in my arms as a result of using them. I posted this on the first page. You can really feel this exercise:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.