1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Researching a Patent

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Piobaire, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

To the local legal eagles...how do I find out if an idea I had is already patented?

2. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Google patents. You can send me the basic info if you want. You can't patent an idea btw.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. Piobaire

Thanks for the tip. You can patent a type of device though? This is an idea to make a very new and different type of an existing device. I am sure the existing device is not patented.

If I'm reading you correctly you're offering to access Google Patents for me?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Spill the beans. What's the device?

5. Piobaire

After a quick Google Patents search (thanks Mord) I'm going to stay quiet. There has been some various patents in this area but I think my modifications are pretty distinct. I am going to ponder this for a bit and might actually consult a patent attorney to see if my ideas warrant a patent.

6. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

I was offering to assist in the search, but if you have a little money for it Consult an attorney. They may recommend doing a little preliminary work and ordering some drawings in order to file a provisional application whIle you determine tge claims and research prior art.

7. Piobaire

Does one need to build a prototype or will drawings and claims be enough?

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Don't spill the beans. Posting something here could be used as prior art against you if it's sufficiently detailed and you wait too long to file a patent.

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

No prototype (is usually) needed.

If its a mechanical device, as I suspect it is, drawings, written description, and claims is enough to get started.

As always, get a lawyer in the field.

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Thanks.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't be this guy

[​IMG]

Damn, I'm excited one of own could be the next Edison! :nodding: Good luck Piobear

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  12. Piobaire

Heh, this is a pretty minor thing but might worth an hour with an attorney I think.

13. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Transparent aluminium?

1 person likes this.
  14. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

If your device is simply taking an existing device and rounding the corners on the device, I regret to inform you that Apple already owns the patent on that.

All kidding aside, good luck.

1 person likes this.
  15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

You can also check the USPTO directly - www.uspto.gov - for US patents and/or WIPO for international patents - www.wipo.int.

16. Osqua

Osqua Member

In my experience, the process of obtaining a Provisional Patent; and even moving to a full Patent Application; is relatively straight forward if you have plenty of time, very deep pockets and the patience of a Zen Monk.

What is more complex and even more important to consider from the outset, is what you do with the Patent(s) if/when you have them....and thats food for a whole other discussion.

Something you might consider as an alternative path, is a simple design registration followed by a swift move into some form of commercialization... if thats your goal.