1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Request for Simple Style Secrets from Great Dressers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Snidely Whiplash, Jan 9, 2010.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

This is probably some of the best advice ever posted on this forum, put in a simple/ straightforward way. Nothing is more ridiculous that wearing something that does not fit a person's age or environment-- for further information, see the tiny 22 year old man who dresses like he is 85 and trying to re-create the 1930s.

Just one advice ..Wear the right thing for the right environment.

If you have a decent understanting of marrying the right combo to the right occasion /environment, you will never be perceived as over or under dressed , the sartorial most common cardinal sin.

Another advice..Never copy anobody else.
    Use what you see as sartorial influences ,but never forget to create your own sartorial vision.

I'm not one of the "great dressers" by any means, I'm much more conservative than many on the forum and I don't always get it quite perfect-- but here are four points I'd add to the advice list:

1. When you're young, dress that way. Don't be in a hurry to wear the great labels or bespoke suits, that is for men in their 30s+. Teens and 20s are for wearing H&M stuff, a higher-risk hairstyle, or that great slim cut italian black suit. Dress and act like you are young and enjoying it, because those styles won't look at all the same on you after 30 and everything gets more serious.

2. The $2.00 nail scrubbing brush is an excellent investment, for every guy to own and use.

3. a really cool piece of luggage (whether carry-on, overnight bag, etc.) is hard to find, but sure is a great thing to own. Probably the most often-used piece of a guy's wardrobe.

4. Find a cool coat, which is also difficult to find in most cities. doesn't mean expensive, just something cool and a great fit on you. New Yorkers always seem to have the coolest coats I've ever seen, most likely folks buy them in January and February when they are almost all on sale.

2. Glados1984

Glados1984 Well-Known Member

This is probably some of the best advice ever posted on this forum, put in a simple/ straightforward way. Nothing is more ridiculous that wearing something that does not fit a person's age or environment-- for further information, see the tiny 22 year old man who dresses like he is 85 and trying to re-create the 1930s.

I'm not one of the "great dressers" by any means, I'm much more conservative than many on the forum and I don't always get it quite perfect-- but here are four points I'd add to the advice list:

1. When you're young, dress that way. Don't be in a hurry to wear the great labels or bespoke suits, that is for men in their 30s+. Teens and 20s are for wearing H&M stuff, a higher-risk hairstyle, or that great slim cut italian black suit. Dress and act like you are young and enjoying it, because those styles won't look at all the same on you after 30 and everything gets more serious.

2. The $2.00 nail scrubbing brush is an excellent investment, for every guy to own and use.

3. a really cool piece of luggage (whether carry-on, overnight bag, etc.) is hard to find, but sure is a great thing to own. Probably the most often-used piece of a guy's wardrobe.

4. Find a cool coat, which is also difficult to find in most cities. doesn't mean expensive, just something cool and a great fit on you. New Yorkers always seem to have the coolest coats I've ever seen, most likely folks buy them in January and February when they are almost all on sale.

this is probably some of the best advice i've seen on styleforum

you make a point that few do. dont be in a rush to look old, enjoy the styles you can only pull off in your 20's because life is long and variety is the spice of life. if you're rocking the same shit in your 20's as what your are in your 40's-50's somethings' wrong

3. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure Foxx. "Don't be in a rush to look old" and "dress cool" is too easily translated into "don't be in a rush to leave the herd" and "dress like all of the other 20-somethings." The 20-something guys in my office who seem to get credited by the 20-something girls for dressing in a trendy and cool kind of way look like slovenly soldiers of the mafia. And they all look the same; dark metallic shirts, garish $15 dollar metallic ties, square-toed pilgrim shoes, and suits that look two sizes too small from the Salvation Army.

You are favorably comparing that dime-a-dozen high school slob look to the "Rubinacci" looks we've been treated to here ... even for young men in law and/or finance (as those young men are IIRC)? And with a sneer to boot?

To each his own I guess.

4. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

Fuck the slovenly dressed masses that is the 20 something crowd. They can't dress worth a damn. Baggy shirts, ugly jeans, fake distressed jeans, baggy jeans, stupid hats, ugly graphic tees, aerospace looking sneakers, etc, etc.

I still wear jeans all the time. I just wear jeans that fit.

I wear t-shirts all the time. I just wear t-shirts that fit and show off those brutal workouts I put myself through.

I wear sneakers from time to time. I just wear the classic looking sneakers.

Do I look my age? Yes. Do I look a million times better than the slobs that populate the street? Damn right I do. And I'm not even trying that hard.