1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Lacoste?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, May 3, 2007.

1. avatar

As the college guy you all dislike who tithes to Lacoste with every paycheck, I say Burberry for sure.

2. Nashville

Nashville Well-Known Member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    As the college guy you all dislike who tithes to Lacoste with every paycheck, I say Burberry for sure.

Totally, still hanging in here with my Lacoste, burberry for sure with the back up plan.

3. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Adidas with a track suit is too chavvy.
    True. I was just worried about the Burberry check's association with said "subculture." But that was mainly the baseball-style cap, and those are gone, so... I personally think for polo shirts, Burberry = great.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

5. avatar

That subculture is across the Atlantic.

6. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

That subculture is across the Atlantic.

I spend time here & there.

And we're getting way off-topic here, but we certainly have our equivalents here in the US, we just haven't been as clever in naming them.

But I get your point, there aren't nova-check cap wearing hoodlums running rampant across the US tarnishing the Burberry brand. Which is good for me, since I like their polos. [​IMG]

7. WN2

WN2 Well-Known Member

sergio tacchini

Affordable and good fit, but I've been a little disappointed by quality. Somehow they don't feel as good as competition, some of which has been already mentioned. Not bad, however.

8. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Well-Known Member

9. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I'm leaning toward fred perry if they do a nice italian line, or John Varvatos now. We did burberry awhile ago and had good success with it. The other buyer doesn't like it and won't be convinved it would be a good buy. I know several other stores who have dropped lacoste for burberry now.

10. avatar

I spend time here & there.

And we're getting way off-topic here, but we certainly have our equivalents here in the US, we just haven't been as clever in naming them.

But I get your point, there aren't nova-check cap wearing hoodlums running rampant across the US tarnishing the Burberry brand. Which is good for me, since I like their polos. [​IMG]

Yeah, here it's the white trash wearing the "urban brands" like Sean John, etc. If there's any high end brand that hoodlums wear, it's BAPE.

11. soulstylist

soulstylist Well-Known Member

Wasn't Tacchini more 80s casuals?

...together with the likes of Pringle, Lyle & Scott, Farahs etc.

12. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Well-Known Member

Lyle & Scott are doing an interesting vintage range polo shirt at the mo'......as for quality Barbour ( strange as it may sound to some, perhaps ) does some good stuff as well.....

13. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Well-Known Member

Add Fila in there and that about nails it. I used to have a lot of such clothes, what stands out for me is how the quality has declined over the last 20 odd years.

If you like that stuff then the film The Business features a fair bit of it [film is pants though].

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429715/

14. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

I guess I will go against the grain here a bit. I am not a fan of FP, Burberry, and that ilk. Mesh polos by most makers are so bleh. Polo and Lacoste can get away with it because they are both classic and well enough made, however overexposed they might be. Bobby Jones, Paul and Shark, etc. have nice fabrics but the cuts are made for men who like to emulate golfers, ie baggy cuts with sleeves that come down past their elbows.

I would 2nd some other suggestions here for James Perse, Ballntyne. Polo has tons of different cuts, styles, fabrics, hard to go wrong there. RLPL is great but twice the price.

Anyone remember Britches polos, with the warthog?

15. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Britches polos, with the warthog?

Did Britches of Georgetowne ever expand much outside of the DC area?

16. soulstylist

soulstylist Well-Known Member

...Polo and Lacoste can get away with it because they are both classic and well enough made...

THE classic tennis polo is the Perry. And Mr. Perry is a classic for himself...

...text stolen from oipolloi.com

17. joshua_robert

joshua_robert Well-Known Member

18. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Did Britches of Georgetowne ever expand much outside of the DC area?

It was definitely here in Richmond, but not sure how much further out.