1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reducing lowering heel height on shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oscarthewild, Aug 31, 2004.

1. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have some shoes that I like but find the heel to be a little too high. Is it possible to reduce the height? Its not like these were 3" Manolo Blahniks that I want to convert into pumps but oxfords where I find the heel just a tad too high?

Any past experiences would be appreciated and methods would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Don't try. It'll throw off the entire balance of the shoe.

3. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

Sort of what I am concerned about. What exactly does that imply? What is the maximum one can add/take away from a conservative oxford heel height and still be ok?

Thanks

4. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

If the shoes are brand new, you might be able to reduce the heel by a quarter inch or so. The result will be better than if they're already broken in. Some shoes seem to be made with the leather on the sole pre-bent, whereas others (such as J.M. Weston) come with leather than is straight, and it gradually bends as the shoe is broken in. I would think reducing the heel size would go over much better with shoes that do not have pre-bent soles.