1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. TroyP

TroyP New Member

I just bought a pair of these for 75% off, with one catch: they were a display pair, and thus mismatched colors. At that price, I don't care.

Now, I know everyone says not to try to change the color of leather, but Amber and Copper are pretty close, no? What's my best chance of making them match?

Worst case, I wouldn't mind making them black, but I'm not sure if black shoe creme is really a good idea. Seems a tad extreme and likely to end in tears. Any ideas?

2. Erkle

Erkle Well-Known Member

fiebings leather dye is going to be your best option in my opinion. i dyed the welt and stitching on my 8114s to be all black

3. TroyP

TroyP New Member

Thanks. For now, I just applied some brown Meltonian cream I happened to have around and then RedWing boot oil. The two boots aren't entirely indistinguishable, but if I didn't know they weren't the same color originally I would never notice.

I'm not sure that that will last, since it's just shoe cream, but in my experience repeated applications of boot oil darken the leather anyway, so I'm hoping that will homogenize the two a bit.

If I were to apply leather dye, I imagine it might be hard to do it uniformly around all the rather complicated hardware on these boots, no? Not only are there a bunch of different seams on the upper, but the speed hooks are hard to work around. That seems like it could be a problem--any thoughts?

4. Erkle

Erkle Well-Known Member

being an alcohol based dye, feibings is a great option. you can go right over the hardware without fear of damaging or affecting the appearance of the hardware. if you are not confident in doing in on your own, many leather repair shops and shoe cobblers offer a dye service. my only thought is that applying a darkening agent over two different color pieces of material is only going to darken them each equally thus leaving you with two, still mis-matched boots only darker shades. perhaps an extra coating on the lighter boot will balance the two? post a picture so we can see the difference

5. TroyP

TroyP New Member

Well, in indoor lighting (as I took this photo) the difference is not so noticeable. Here they are before I applied shoe cream--it's a good bit less noticeable now.

My experience with my year-old Beckmans is that they get substantially darker and more varied in texture after a bit of wear. This is a different kind of leather than the Featherstone, but I imagine the same thing will happen, so I may just wait.

I imagine a cobbler could do a good job, of course. I'll resort to that if need be.

[​IMG]

6. Erkle

Erkle Well-Known Member

personally i would send them off for a dye. i dont see them ever ageing to be equal or even close by a few shades off. i would bet for a few bucks they would be able to match them quite well with a quick dye job. if not, like you mentioned, there is always black! =-D

7. TroyP

TroyP New Member

I'll take a photo now that I creamed them and see what you say. I won't claim you can't tell the difference, but if you saw them on the street I don't think you'd notice. ;)

If I have time to visit the cobbler next week I might ask his opinion.

8. bootankman

bootankman New Member

9. ohsees4

ohsees4 New Member

Thinking of ordering a pair of Iron Rangers but I'm not sure what size to get, 8.5 or 9? I have Clarks DBs in size 9us and Docs in size 8uk, both are a tiny bit on the loose side and I have fairly narrow feet. Any thoughts?

10. Glorysends

Glorysends Well-Known Member

Whatever you normally wear in other shoes/boots go down half a size. I'm normally a 10 in everything and I did a 9.5 and they are perfect.

11. NationalBoxer

NationalBoxer Member

If anyone is in Canada. If you buy them from shoeme.ca (through ebates.ca), you will get 24% cash back. Coupon code Thanks!15 will also get you 15% off on the order.

Makes it about $224.40, if I did my math correctly. Pretty good deal if you're looking to get these boots.

12. father's room

father's room Well-Known Member

If anyone wants size 7, I have one for sale. Please look at my post.

13. Oksu

Oksu Member

Just picked up a new pair of Iron Rangers (Copper). I am between a 10 and a 10.5 in dress shoes, and at the advice of this forum, ordered both a 9 and a 9.5 (free shipping both ways), with the intent of returning the worse fit. I tried the 9's first, and they were comfortable, almost with wiggle room. They are not so loose that I think I'll need to size down, even as the leather stretches, but it may be that I'll have to tighten my laces a bit as these wear. I love them, out of the box.

I purchased, with my shoes, Obenauf LP and a shoe brush (my first!). There seems to be uncertainty across the internet about the necessity of applying a product like Obenauf LP to new, theoretically "water proof" leather boots, and I would love to solicit any additional opinions on the matter. The snow in Chicago is finally melting, but there is ice and salt and mud across the city. I commute almost a mile and a half each way on my way to work. Would it be worth it to condition and "seal in" my shoes from the get go? Or can/should I wait a few weeks (I have seen a month suggested more than once) before doing so?

14. heavyhoody

heavyhoody Active Member

I would not wear these with a insole. They have a leather insole which in time will mold to your foot. It just takes time.

15. mogili222

mogili222 Well-Known Member

Thank you.. I actually kept wearing this without any additional insoles and the leather insole is breaking in nicely.

16. Jdub6

Jdub6 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any luck finding 1000 mile type flat laces for these?

17. Erkle

Erkle Well-Known Member

just pick up some beckman laces. they are flat and waxed. they look great

18. Jdub6

Jdub6 Well-Known Member

Nice. Thanks.

19. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

I got a pair of these when they were on sale at STP, can't say enough about how good they look.

I'm usually an 11 D, sized down 1/2 and got a 10.5, now I want to pick up a pair of 10s and see how they fit, any idea where to find the best rpice on these is? I just missed the Brooks Brothers sale.

20. peshlaki

peshlaki Well-Known Member

I normally wear size 91/2.These are size 9 and fit perfect.I had to wear them for about two weeks before they really felt good.These are now two years old with only an occasional brushing.

[​IMG]