1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Garage/Surf Rock

Garage/Surf Rock Well-Known Member

2. mulansauce

mulansauce Well-Known Member

The Iron Ranger was first made in 1953.

1 person likes this.
  3. atomicranch

atomicranch Well-Known Member

Just saw these on cultizm. Are these new or am I just out of the loop?

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....AL---NEW-.html

The Iron Ranger was first made in 1953.

It may have first been made in 1953, but it's a reintroduced model. Came out a few months ago.

There's been a lot of talk about them on the other SF.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Jcrew has a suede version they're selling on the website

5. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Jcrew has a suede version they're selling on the website

which i like and when i was at the michigan avenue store last saturday, i was told only available at their new ny store and the internetz. here is the link: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...7961/97961.jsp

6. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

You can buy Iron Rangers from Zappos for $274, which is already over Red Wing's retail price. Or you can buy the exact same shoes from J Crew for $350 plus tax and shipping.

7. caleb3221

caleb3221 Active Member

The color of the 8112 model I like better than the others, but I only see it on cultizm and a few other international sites (and cultizm doesn't have my size). It's not even on the Red Wing site. What's up with that?

8. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

It's not even on the Red Wing site. What's up with that?

It's part of the Red Wings European line that is not available in the US stores.

9. amnesiac

amnesiac Well-Known Member

on a related note, the iron rangers look a lot like the ll bean katahdin iron works engineer boots

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Product_Submit

I like the brown color better on the iron rangers and the contrast stitching but for a more utilitarian look and for beating up, i'm partial to the ll beans. they're MIA too by Chippewa with a Vibram outsole to boot.

10. denimaddict

denimaddict Well-Known Member

they look like ww2 service boots

11. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

It's part of the Red Wings European line that is not available in the US stores.
    The word is that RW is going to link up into one main line so that all their boots will be universally available.

12. caleb3221

caleb3221 Active Member

Just in case anyone's looking for them, I couldn't find any in my size online last night but I just ordered some from onlineshoes.com this morning, looks like they've got a good selection at the moment.

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

So has anyone come to a conclusion as to which boot is superior (comfort, quality, etc..); the iron ranger or the LL bean Katahdin?

14. djh

djh Well-Known Member

^ Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I wanted a pair of Iron Rangers but since these LLBean boots are so much cheaper, I'll probably get them instead.

15. pitboss12

pitboss12 Well-Known Member

Iron Rangers are available at your local Red Wing shops. My local shop stocks them. I can't decide if I want a pair of Rangers or some RW Logger boots. I'm waiting for their holiday coupons to come in the mail.

16. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

The word is that RW is going to link up into one main line so that all their boots will be universally available.

Who, that is great news! Now our brothers in the outer reaches can also wear quality made in the USA boots as well.

17. pitboss12

pitboss12 Well-Known Member

I hope this is true. I know that the RW Moc toe boot with the vibram sole is part of the heritage line on RW's UK and Japan websites. I'd like to see it in the US without the J.Crew mark up, but I don't think it'll happen until the J.Crew contract expires.

18. cpendletonsays

cpendletonsays New Member

Just saw these on cultizm. Are these new or am I just out of the loop?

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....AL---NEW-.html

They look like an awesome boot; what I like most though is the color. Cultizm is the only online store (other than rakuten) that carries that light brown / tan finish.

Anyone know of other boots (maybe less expensive) available in a similar color?

19. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

So has anyone come to a conclusion as to which boot is superior (comfort, quality, etc..); the iron ranger or the LL bean Katahdin?
    Even though the Katahdin boots are real work boots, the Iron Rangers look a lot clunkier to me for some reason. Someone also mentioned that the iron ranger has quadruple stitching on the toe cap while the katahdin only has double stitching - but the katahdin has quadruple stitching all up the shaft and heel counter, while the iron ranger seems to only have triple stitching there. The vibram sole of the katahdin also has somewhat of a tread to it, as opposed to the flat cork-rubber sole that the Iron Rangers have. Last but not least, the Katahdin boots have speed hooks, and the Iron rangers have eyelets all the way up. EDIT: Apparently Iron rangers have speed hooks too, which gives them the same 3 hook 4 hole configuration that the katahdins have. I only own the Katahdin boots and I find them awesome - they're pretty comfortable to me, although on the snug side because of an insole that chippewa provides. I think I'd like to own a pair of Iron Rangers myself in the near future, but for $150 I really don't think you can do better than the Katahdins. Best part is if you don't like it for any reason, no matter how much wear you've put into them, just send them back to LL Bean and get your money back! If I find these are still too snug for my liking after a month or two, I'm contemplating sending back my D width boots for an EE size, which are out of stock now [​IMG]

20. atomicranch

atomicranch Well-Known Member