1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Well-Known Member

Wow, that is quite a drastic effect. I am quite suprised that you had such a result... makes me think twice about using saddle soap myself.

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

Yeah, the featherstone leather is weird. I've had less dramatic versions of this on spots on my Beckmans (J Crew chestnut moc toe), and it's inconsistent and seems to be somewhat friction based. Not sure if it's the top coat wearing through, but the leather reacts very strangely to being oiled and waxed (Obenauf's oil and LP), and doesn't absorb either as readily as anything else I've worked with. Kinda behaves liked corrected grain, actually.

3. clubberlang

clubberlang Member

Is it a terrible idea to cut the attached tongue in my Beckmans? Next to the third eyelet down on the inside of the left boot where the tongue folds over gives me a ridiculous bruise like every time I wear them.

4. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

The tongue is attached to help keep water out when you step into a couple inches of water. Otherwise, the second the water hit the tongue area, it would seep in between the tongue and the vamp.

I would leave them as is for a few more wears, and I would imaging that your boot will mold to your foot, and it will cease to be an issue.

5. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

Uh yes that is a terrible idea. Either you did something wrong with the lacing or it's too small for you (bizarrely common on this forum).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  6. clubberlang

clubberlang Member

Hopefully that's the case. They fit perfectly otherwise and the tongue lays exactly the same on the right boot. For now I started skipping the second eyelet from the top to alleviate some pressure. Like you said, hopefully once they break in a little more this will go away.

7. adiel408

adiel408 Member

Guys i dropped alittle bleach on my 8111 wile i was cleaning my cloths, it only dropped on my right shoe, & now it has a small white dot . Is there anything that can remove it?

8. colorblind

colorblind Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. izzyfBOC

izzyfBOC Active Member

Hey Guys,

contemplating on buying a pair of redwing 3140 but unsure on how to size. I pretty much wear an 11.5-12 in most shoes.

I went to my local RW dealer to try on a pair but none were in stock and they would have to order it from another store, so i rather just purchase online any help would be great. Thanks.

10. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

anyone know where to get some good leather laces?

11. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

Most leather laces I've found for sale seem pretty poor quality. Best leather laces I've ever felt are the ones that come on White's boots and I believe you can order those off their website for less than $5. Nice thing about leather laces, you can just buy them long and cut them at whatever finished length you want.

1 person likes this.
  12. heavywestern

heavywestern Member

I have a pair of lightly used Black Iron Rangers size 9. I've worn them about a month hoping they would break in a little more, but they're not wide enough in the toe box. I'm willing to sell them or trade for a 9.5

13. previlo

previlo Member

Sorry to push this one on top again, but anyone with feedback/ recommendation about the Round Toes and their potential "heel curve"?

14. spena

spena Member

I have the beckman 9030 for two months and I am a bit disappointed when water seeped in the moc stitches when I took it out on a day of heavy rain. everything else on the beckman I love tho the leather lining, great sole for fall/winter and even the laces. but will sell the 9030 and pick up the beckman 9016 instead

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  15. ShakeEmUp

ShakeEmUp Well-Known Member

16. steve2318

steve2318 Well-Known Member

Trying to pick up the 9030 on Amazon ... Anybody have success using discount codes on Red Wing boots on the site?

17. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me about the Red Wing Postman 101s? I'm not interested in the high shine version. I just want to know what the leather is like compared to Loakes, Church's, C&Js, Carmina's etc. I'd like to give them a nice mirror shine, but I definitely don't want patent leather.

18. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

Link to high shine version? I thought they only had black chapperal or however its spelled for oxford

19. ricesuit

ricesuit Well-Known Member

i believe it's called the high shine on mr porter, but that's not the name

the material is black chaparral, really a nice matte black leather. however, if you polish, they will have a nice shine (but not blindingly so like patent leather.)

the first week i broke them in the creases looked terrible, but after a good polish on sunday they looked better than they did new.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pointer on that. Any chance of pics please?