• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do Red Wings break in? I tried a pair a year or so back and they were really stiff. Any tips on breaking them in if I get some or techniques I could try other than just wearing them and waiting?

Last edited:

HAL 9000

Reaction score
How do Red Wings break in? I tried a pair a year or so back and they were really stiff. Any tips on breaking them in if I get some or techniques I could try other than just wearing them and waiting?

I personally just wore them a lot. They hurt for the first week, but then settled in nicely afterwards. After you break them in, they will become really comfortable. I haven't tried these but I heard the best way to break them in is to wear really thick wool socks. Some also mention applying Obenauf LP, which softens but can also darken the leather.

tsekh

Reaction score

How do Red Wings break in?  I tried a pair a year or so back and they were really stiff.  Any tips on breaking them in if I get some or techniques I could try other than just wearing them and waiting?

Wear thick socks, tie the laces but keep them loose. Other than that, there is nothing much you can do beside wearing. In a week or two they will feel fine. In the long run, you know that they are fully break-in when the insoles are darken and become shiny.

It also depends on the type of leather. "Copper rough and tough" is a softer (still tough) leather among the Red Wings that I have and they don't really require break-in to be comfortable.

dasbus

Reaction score

tsekh

Reaction score

Do you guys know if the 595 chukkas and 3140 chukkas both fit the same? I have tried on the 595's at my local red wings store because they did not carry the 3140's, you had to special order them. I tried on the size 8 because I am usually an 8.5, but it was too small for me. Will the 3140's fit the same way?

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/595-red-wing-shoes/595-red-wing-mens-chukka-brown

http://www.endclothing.com/red-wing-3140-work-chukka.html

Should be, since they are made on the same last (210).
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/595-red-wing-shoes/595-red-wing-mens-chukka-brown
http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot...g-lifestyle-mens-work-chukka-boot-oro-russet/

rezdog

Reaction score
Yea I got a pair of red wings boots. Every time I wear them they give me blisters on my heels.

On a side note: What your favorite jeans to wear your red wings?

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Yea I got a pair of red wings boots. Every time I wear them they give me blisters on my heels.

Don't worry about that too much, its all part of the process. Just make sure to wear thick socks.

Fave jeans to wear with red wings? Slim raws - fantastic combo.

imschatz

Reaction score

Black Cherry Redwing GT's (2 years old) with N&F Selvedge Chino's
iK8d0PvQgnM9H.png

afreegreek

Reaction score
the best way to break in boots is to soak them in lukewarm water until they are saturated.. let them stand for a few hours and then put them on and wear them until they are dry.. if they are not mostly dry by the end of the day, put them in a plastic bag until morning and wear them again.. the more walking the better and don't over tighten the laces.. this can distort the softened leather around the grommets and cause them to fall out

you do not want to do this with fine shoes and 'fashion' boots though.. many have finishes on the leather that are applied after the shoes are lasted that will not appreciate being soaked in water.. other than these finished leathers, this will not harm your boots in any way.. that is how they are lasted in the manufacturing process..

also if the leather is very light or suede it is best to soak them in distilled water.. tap water contains minerals and chemicals like chlorine that can stain leather.. you can find distilled water by the gallon at any supermarket..

DJosey

Reaction score
Totally agree with the breaking in process, these killed my heels for the first few days or so, but now I'm
Used to them

ABirdinHand

Reaction score
I've owned two pairs of Red Wings... both 6" Lugs (Heritage). The first pair I purchased from an actual Red Wing dealer, they were very stiff and my feet suffered for the first few weeks that I wore them. I tried every trick to 'breaking them in'... but honestly, it just took time before they were truly comfortable. The final product was worth the wait.

The second pair, however, I recently ordered from JCrew. The leather is much softer and they are extremely comfortable straight out of the box.

My suggestion is to try them on before you buy them, as it seems to differ depending on where you buy them.

pelican

Reaction score
I briefly had these in "oro-iginal" color but sent them back because I didn't like the color. Anyway, they fit fine just like my other RW boots; I follow the usual recommendation of sizing down half.
+1 down .5 size. I have these exact same chukka's. I wore them once and put them on ebay for half price. Didn't even get 1 bid. The white soles are a pain to keep clean which is why I decided to pass them on. RW should go to the dark style like on some other boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads