1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Well-Known Member

I don't think it's plain toe, I think it's an Iron Ranger (which tend to be priced at $270 in the department stores).

They look like IRs to me, too.

2. connor

connor Well-Known Member

i went tts on my RWI boots. was that a mistake

3. dshack

dshack Well-Known Member

4. rcd213

rcd213 Active Member

Anyone else notice that the Chippewa boot in the slideshow is an L.L. Bean Katahdin?

Very similar to the katahdin, however its missing the cap toe.

5. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

They look like IRs to me, too.

They look like Iron rangers but they have a lug sole. It looks like a plain toe but since the picture is so small, it might be the moc toe version.

I like the look of those Chippewas. If they were around when I bought my katahdins earlier this year, I would have gone for them. Only thing I would change on the Katahdins is the cap toe.

6. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Ok, so I am now addicted to boots after buying the last two pairs of RW. I wanna get something in black, most likely the chelsea boot? How are those? Looking for something slimmer than GT, and Chelsea and Iron Rangers look like it, except I don't think IR is available in black? Also, papashoe doesn't have my size available in black for some retarded reason [​IMG]

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

^^ I bought the chelsea boot 2 years ago or so, I dont like them. Wore them maybe a total of 5x

I like chunky boots, but the chelsea design is not good. too chunky for that type of shoe. I have other chunky chelseas (by Solovair) that still have a bit of "sleekness" to them but the RW chelsea is really ugly imo

8. StylingUK

StylingUK Well-Known Member

Have heard many talk about the 8146 but none have mentioned the 8135 yet. The only difference I see is the color? What do you guys think? Pics of 8135 [​IMG] Pics of 8146 [​IMG]

9. ataru

ataru Well-Known Member

Flambeur, the iron ranger actually does come in black.

10. Monimus

Monimus Well-Known Member

What sort of wear can I put my 8138 Classic Lifestyles through?

Will they survive a Canadian winter / do they have enough traction or tread?

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

Have heard many talk about the 8146 but none have mentioned the 8135 yet. The only difference I see is the color? What do you guys think?
    looks like a europe/asia only type model. looks cool and since its for export i have to expect that it may be of higher quality. looks to be another color way.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Flambeur, the iron ranger actually does come in black.

Hmm...

Which one is slimmer, IR or Chelsea? I need something black and slim

13. voiceof

voiceof Member

I really love the look of the Iron Rangers, but when I tried on the LLB Kathadins (a pretty close match I've heard) they seemed a bit chunky. I've got skinny legs so work boots usually look massive on my feet.

Anyone have any suggestions for a slimmer boot that still has the overall look of the RW IR. I like the Wolverine 1000 mile, but those are out of my price range.

14. Ispy

Ispy Well-Known Member

Anybody with the RW 1907, or any of the other boots made from the Rough and tough copper leather have any care tips?

If you've oiled, lexol'd, Obenauf'd or otherwise cleaned your boots I'd love to how they turned out. Mine are getting to the point that they need some upkeep. Just wasn't sure how that particular leather would respond.

15. jhoo04

jhoo04 Well-Known Member

Papashoe - 15% off - Code HLYD15

16. AlexAlex

AlexAlex New Member

Anybody with the RW 1907, or any of the other boots made from the Rough and tough copper leather have any care tips?

If you've oiled, lexol'd, Obenauf'd or otherwise cleaned your boots I'd love to how they turned out. Mine are getting to the point that they need some upkeep. Just wasn't sure how that particular leather would respond.

Obenaufs makes them look great.

17. Ispy

Ispy Well-Known Member

Obenaufs makes them look great.

Do you have specific experience with that leather, or are you speaking generally?
    I'm really wondering what the 1907, 9111, 2971 etc. look like after treatment.

18. pg600rr

pg600rr Well-Known Member

So I bought the redwing iron rangers 8113 in sz. 10 (i am a 44 in CP's in a 11 in alot of athleic sneakers)...

I just picked up the 1907 'coppers' in sz. 10 as well and they are really snug, wayyyy snugger than the iron rangers. I know they are going to stratched because of the leather and the red wing guy said they will stretch quite a bit, but I am wonderin if i should exchange for a 10.5...

any experienc with sizing between these two? all I have found from searching is that the 1907's run slim.

19. jenkinslaw

jenkinslaw Well-Known Member

Just shoveled some snow in my rugged classics (J Crew version). Needless to say, I now feel more rugged and manly. Commando sole a real necessity in this crappy weather, as is the sno-seal.

20. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

I really love the look of the Iron Rangers, but when I tried on the LLB Kathadins (a pretty close match I've heard) they seemed a bit chunky. I've got skinny legs so work boots usually look massive on my feet.

Anyone have any suggestions for a slimmer boot that still has the overall look of the RW IR. I like the Wolverine 1000 mile, but those are out of my price range.

The Katahdin and Wolverine boots have a sleeker toe than the IR. If you want something slimmer than that with a cap toe I think you're looking at brands that are more dressy and less of a work boot - Alden, etc. Jeans with more of a boot cut can make the boot look less chunky too though.