1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ElBron21

ElBron21 Well-Known Member

The chukkas look great. I don't own a pair but I see them occasionally and they look good and comfy.
    Try looking at anything with the Copper Yuma leather or the Muleskinner leather. I think the colors of those 2 leathers is spring/summer looking
    Almost all of the heritage line are not insulated so they breathe just fine in the spring/summer if that's a concern at all

I wear my 8113s,out to Royals games every summer all summer and they don't bother me

2. Imyouricecreamman

Imyouricecreamman Well-Known Member

Thanks man! Yeah,i have pair of iron rangers and im aware of the perils of the cork sole:) Im after a pair of the hawthorne muleskinners which are available in europe, but i guess i just need to suck it up and just buy them:)

3. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just picked up the Charcoals 8116 to go with my 8115. Really love the IRs and the way to fit on me. Here's to breaking the second one in!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. ElBron21

Those boots are so sharp
    Do you usually wear your jeans with that giant cuff, Or you just did that to show them off better in the pictures?

5. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

That appears to be quite deliberate.

6. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

I pulled up the cuff to show more of the boot. I like double cuffs though as I usually don't hem my jeans

7. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Yes. I am in your boat - my left foot is easily an E width, while my right a D. With this in mind, it depends on how you plan on wearing these. I'd say MINIMUM 8D - if its too roomy, add an insole and your good. DO NOT undersize boots if you've got a wide forefoot. Those who religiously "size down" probably could fit in b-width shoes just fine.

8. Bonka

Bonka New Member

I'm 8E on the Brannock and went with 8D in the Beckman. While I didn't size myself in a 7.5 or an "E" I like the way the 8D fit since my issue tends to be that my pinky toe rubs the side, so that coupled with my higher in-step, snug fitting shoes aren't a thing for me. The Beckmans give me the pinky toe room I need which works well with my preference and need to not let the big toes touch the top of the boot so this gives me a little bit of room to wear something other than thin socks.

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I want to buy some Red Wing boots but this is the first time I'm going to buy a boot with this style. So, in a store around here they have these two models:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the second one a bit more than the first one. They are discounted so the price is nice. But problem is the size. I usually wear an 8.5 UK, the first one is available in that size, the second one only in 9 UK, do you think the 8 UK of the second one would fit?

Thanks!

10. ElBron21

11. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

Check the last of the boots. I believe them two boots are the same last therefore they should fit the exact same

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will. I'm starting to like the first ones a bit more. :D

13. Mr Engineer

I have a pair of the first ones...Personally I would go with those

14. goldenbear

goldenbear Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the cigar beckmans (the second one). I love them. I frequently get compliments on them. I have two pairs of beckmans (cigar and black) and I may even purchase a third if Nordstrom has a different color on sale this Summer. I have three pairs of Redwings. You can't go wrong with either.

15. klonowj

klonowj Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if redwing still offers the free replacement laces somewhere on their website?

16. EPrest90

EPrest90 Well-Known Member

Not online. Either call and they'll mail them to you, or go to your local store.

17. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Well-Known Member

I'm considering getting some RWs as my next boot, but I'm not sure which is best for my needs. Thinking about either the Blacksmith or the Beckman. What I'm not sure about is the sole: I'll be wearing the boots mostly around town, but also quite frequently on gravel, sandy paths, grass and muddy roads. Would this favor the Beckman boot?

18. Mr Engineer

I personally think the Beckman has better color options

19. spedrunr

spedrunr Well-Known Member

I think the major difference is the sole material. If you are in a wet environment, the Blacksmith has a full rubber/cork sole. The Beckman has that leather section between the heel and forefoot that would rot over time (unless you can use some sort of water sealant)

I live in the southwest where it's very dry so I don't worry about my Beckmans too much.

20. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Well-Known Member

I didn't ask about color options.

I've got some resoled harness boots with a leather section in the middle and they have been fine for the past 10 years, even in the wettest and muddiest of weather conditions. No rot or anything, if taken care of properly. Any input on traction of the Blacksmith on gravel or wet rocks?