1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. HANCHO

HANCHO Member

Anyone know where I can find this below the retail price? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. loug

loug Well-Known Member

try searching with google. probably the best way is using the net. past experience is amazon has the best prices (most of the time).

3. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

Hey folks

Looking for some advice/guidance on my first pair of redwings. I have read from about page 100 ( time new oro legacy leather was released) on and searched the internet to try to find a direct comparison before I hit you guys up with these questions. Looking to buy either 1907's in copper or the 875. Nordstrom had the 1907's and tried them on and the local red wing store didn't have my size in stock and ordered them for me to try on. I assume the 1907 rough and tough leather will be that and a little harder to break in, I'll condition the heck out of them to try to soften the leather if I buy them. I could only handle the 875's but the leather seemed more pliable, kind of like the Chromexcel on the wolverine 1k which was easy to break in. Is that a fair comparison?

So the main question for anyone who has had both the 1907 and the new 875 leather Oro legacy leather, how different is the break-in on these? Are they the same comfort wise after break in? If anyone has both I would love to see a side by side shot as I haven't found one on the web - which is hard to believe actually.

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year all

DuckOB

4. Lurking

Lurking Member

Maybe a dumb question but hey, I could use the help:

I just purchased a pair of 875's. What type of coat pairs best with this style of boot in general ...... would a navy peacoat be fine or too dressy?

5. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Well-Known Member

A navy peacoat sounds good, but it depends on what else you're wearing.

6. Lurking

Lurking Member

assume Jeans or Chinos most of the time, maybe some wool pants. Not dress pants.

7. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

you could try factory seconds (mentioned a few pages back) or buy second-hand otherwise, it's difficult to find them for below (trust me, i tried before just settling for retail)

8. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Well-Known Member

A navy peacoat should be fine, especially with jeans, chinos, or wool pants. A nice workshirt always helps.

9. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for cleaning Iron Rangers 8111 Amber Harness?

10. SlowJim

SlowJim Active Member

11. SlowJim

SlowJim Active Member

I believe these are the Copper Yuma 2963's I was asking about in the above post, for $174 at Gimmeshoes. Final sale though so no returns - it's a bit of a risk since they are mis-marked as "STOCK# 3724 Camel, oiled nubuck work boot"

Edit: Confirmed they are the Copper Yuma 2963 but shipping is $22. Yikes

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  12. dieselman89

How do y'all clean your Iron Rangers 8111 Amber Harness??

13. loug

loug Well-Known Member

why do you want to clean them? have some RW bourbon round toe that will never be cleaned other than a brush off of dirt (so it doesn't get onto the carpet).

14. dieselman89

I mean, how do you suggest to clean dirt/refresh the shoes. They do not need to be polished.

15. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Once had a pair of office shoes that were a brownish suede that needed to look good. Picked up this what looked like a large eraser that was used to rub off the dark/dirt spots. Not familiar with the finish on your boots but maybe check this eraser out: http://www.shoebuy.com/kiwi-select-...?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-{keyword}

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  16. dieselman89

17. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  18. dieselman89

I'll one up you based off a good suggestion. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF557_1_40000000001_-1

19. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Well-Known Member

There is no difference. Rough & tough is not harder to break in. Rough & tough is the combination of oils etc which give the leather a distressed appearance even though the leather isn't actually distressed.

20. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Well-Known Member

Is the moc toe .5 down from the chukka? I'm a 10 in the chukka.