1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

red dress shirt in wardrobe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by elliottchow, Oct 23, 2009.

1. elliottchow

elliottchow Well-Known Member

just curious who has red dress shirts in their closet and how often they use it, it can be red with stripes or whatever variation and was wondering what people match it with. I've seen PG in his "what you wearing pictures" pair it up with white jeans. Was wondering what else a shirt like that could go well with next to blue and white jeans. Worthwhile to have in one's wardrobe?

2. Doc4

Doc4 Well-Known Member

Unless you are fighting to unify Italy ... [​IMG] ... [​IMG] ... (off to Wikipedia you go) ... a red shirt isn't going to be much help. A white shirt with red stripes (Bengal stripes &c) worn with a dark & solid-ish tie and a dark suit can be nice, though.

3. Twotone

Twotone Well-Known Member

Bright Ferrari red, no. A lighter red tone (more towards pink actually) or deep burgundy stripes can be very nice paired with the right suit and tie.

Twotone

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

I have one, but it is more of a maroon, I would not wear it to work as bisnuess wear though. I only wear it when I go out sometimes.

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

red is for gangster

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

IIRC, I've not seen a red dress shirt that looked good to me. I'm not a fan of them or any dark colored dress shirt.

7. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

FWIW - I have a red end on end shirt from Kiton that I really like as well as a H&K red check that I wore just recently.

8. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

Red dress shirts have unsavory associations, at least to my way of thinking. This picture is from a 2007 movie called "The Walker." The main character had a flashy wardrobe, with dark bodied shirts and contrast cuffs and collars.

[​IMG]

9. dv3

dv3 Well-Known Member

If Diddy has one, I say get one. If Diddy doesn't have one, I say don't get one.

10. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

PG is allowed to wear anything he wants. For the rest of us, no.

11. HHD

HHD Well-Known Member

Go for it if you can look as good as Nick Cave on the cover of Tender Prey.

12. Rob_Sutherland

Rob_Sutherland Well-Known Member

I have a white shirt with a burgundy/rust Bengal stripe that is very classic and I wear quite frequently with both greys and navies. I have a white with small red check that I wear fairly infrequently. It’s much harder to match and doesn’t go with ties very well. I had a solid red office shirt. I gave it away. Useless and unbecoming.

13. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Well-Known Member

Red Gingham/Checks or Red Bengal Stripe >>>>>>>>> Solid Red

14. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I have a white/burgundy bengal strip OCBD shirt that I wear frequently. I'm wearing it today with charcoal gray trousers, olive jacket, burgundy monkstraps, belt, and socks, with a red/green squares pocket square.

My one solid red shirt sees only occasional wear during the evenings, for dates or casual dances. I usually wear it with off-white cotton trousers or white jeans.

15. elliottchow

elliottchow Well-Known Member

i was not thinking of a dark red dress shirt, but more of a stripped bengal red white shirt, or a summer looking one which is a light red/orange with a blend of white. Kind of hard to describe, so sorry for the vague description. Is there some guy of rule most of you have, like I will normally wear this shirt 1 x every 2 weeks when justifying whether to buy it or not?

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

i was not thinking of a dark red dress shirt, but more of a stripped bengal red white shirt, or a summer looking one which is a light red/orange with a blend of white. Kind of hard to describe, so sorry for the vague description. Is there some guy of rule most of you have, like I will normally wear this shirt 1 x every 2 weeks when justifying whether to buy it or not?
    I have a OCBD red/white striped shirt and a red/white Gingham OCBD shirt for casual wear. I've never worn them with ties though.

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

A white shirt with red stripes (Bengal stripes &c) worn with a dark & solid-ish tie and a dark suit can be nice, though.

+1

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I have a Richard James casual shirt in bold red stripes. For business wear, I only have a white and burgundy hairline stripe, but it's very muted. I'd like a red gingham shirt for business wear in summer, but I can't find a nice one.

19. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Well-Known Member

Solid red shirt is something only niidawg would wear [​IMG]

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I have shirts in red and white puppy tooth, red and white gingham, red and white stripes, red and cream stripes, red stripes on pink ... and one red Oxford cloth (of course, the white tones it down to a deep pink).

I reserve solid red for knit shirts.