1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recs for NYC steakhouse

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ghulkhan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Went to Sparks once. Honestly, I've had better steaks at outback. I hope my experience isn't the norm.

I've been a few times and while it is not my favorite, I think it is quite good.

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

This new place Center Cut, I think, just opened up down the block across from Lincoln Center/above PJ Clarkes/below The Empire Hotel got some pre-opening excitment via NY Mag IIRC.

3. Lucky7

Lucky7 Well-Known Member

A quick list....

And remember kids, real men eat Bone-in Ribeyes. That is by FAR the best cut of meat. A fillet may be tender, but there is no flavor.

Post.Script - Who no lugers?

Alas, someone who agrees with me! I often find myself fighting people who think fillet is the best...come on..no flavor give me a big juicy BONE IN RIBEYE!!!!

4. DeCaloFashion1

DeCaloFashion1 Well-Known Member

Smith & Wollensky's up on 49th and 3rd or so was always pretty reliable, although they took the French wines off the carte post 9/11 and have been opening branches everywhere. So that might no longer be a useful place.

Though what they lack in French wines is more than made up for in their comprehensive selection of California wines. And the "Fish Bowl" table is great fun! I am a big fan of S & W's.

5. bullethead

bullethead Well-Known Member

bone in ribeye at strip house was really good. another place to try would be Dylan Prime in tribeca.
    they have pulled pork filled tater tots for chrissakes.

If your night is more date than business, the above steakhouses would be great choices.

6. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Well-Known Member

I take clients out quite a bit so I've managed to try most of these places on expense account money. At one point I visited sparks and s&w about twice a month for a year and I've come to believe there is a fair amount of variation from visit to visit. I think this helps to account for widely varying reviews. On the best cut question, I worked my way through college waiting tables at a steakhouse and they taught us the two best cuts were ribeye and porterhouse. I've come to agree with this but of course if you've tried these cuts and prefer fm, have at it.

Unfortunately for me, I like steak but don't love it. On any given night, I'd rather spend the money on food that allows a chef to express his/her creativity. A great falafel instead of a trip to the palm works for me any day.

7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Strip House was fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

8. syn

syn Active Member

Strip House was fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

Another vote for Strip House. Been there 3 times and has never come anything short of excellence. If you're going with enough people, try to manage the chocolate cake after your meal. It's absolutely massive and quite tasty. Though, I should warn you that the bliss will be fleeting as this will most likely push you over the edge.

Also been to Smith & Wollensky which I felt was a major disappointment and Luger's (another disappointment). The meat looked incredible at the latter, but the taste simply did not match.

9. JR88

JR88 Well-Known Member

I went to Sparks once many moons ago for the wine list-- and found that it was much better than the actual meal.

+1

Half the fun at Sparks is the wine list. They don't mark up the wine very much at all; for $100 you can get a $65 bottle. What is marked up -- just a tad, compared to other beeferies -- is the food. But all told, very consistent and no. 1 on my list. (Original Palm is pretty good too.)

Avoid the chains from other cities (Mortons, Shula's, etc.)

10. mps23

mps23 Well-Known Member

Keen's - steak's good, but the burger is better. 3.5/5

Wolfgangs - I tried the one downtown in Tribecca. sides are good as well: 4/5

Smith and Wollensky - probably the worst of the big steakhouses in NY: 2.5/5

Bobby Van's on 53rd st: pretty good 4/5

Sparks: 3.5/5

11. mps23

mps23 Well-Known Member

STK steak actually wasn't bad, but the place is so pretentious w/ all of the wall st yuppie douchebags. 3/5

12. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Alas, someone who agrees with me! I often find myself fighting people who think fillet is the best...come on..no flavor give me a big juicy BONE IN RIBEYE!!!!

The problem with a Rib Eye or more marbled cuts is that it's great for a couple bites, but then it starts to make you sick. I've eaten at Sparks, Cap. Grille, Mortons, S&W, Lugers and many other steak houses and honestly the only steak I like eating anymore is a large filet. I don't exactly understand how that has no flavor. I think it has a very nice meaty, clean flavor. I used to always get fattier cuts but now it actually makes me sick after a few bites. For some reason a massive slab of ribeye isn't as pleasing as an expertly prepared piece of pork belly (which is in fact more fatty). There's something very dull about the average steak, for me. Although, I must say that real Wagyu prepared properly (not rare like some morons do here) is divine.

I also really love Bison, which isn't abundantly available. For the most part I don't eat at steak houses anymore, having grown up a little. Honestly I find beef at great fine dining establishments to be much better than the typical steakhouses mentioned above. I think the whole idea of eating a steak with little or no extra help from sauces or preparations is a bit stupid. I think a big steak is great but I like variety. Why is it ok for people to go nuts from some amazing reduction/glaze/sauce/compote on a piece of lamb, pork or fish/fowl, but then suddenly when it's a steak, it's sacriledge? I can think of many great restaurants where a chef will use a sauce with a good cut of beef, and it's divine. Steak houses serve shades of gray. A nice shade of gray, but there's absolutely no excitement.

I had a steak at Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) that had this chipotle and bourbon (I think?) incredible sauce. It was better than anything I've had at any steakhouse. The best steaks I've had were quite honestly in Paris and Tokyo if I recall.

13. stant62

stant62 Well-Known Member

I had a steak at Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) that had this chipotle and bourbon (I think?) incredible sauce. It was better than anything I've had at any steakhouse. The best steaks I've had were quite honestly in Paris and Tokyo if I recall.
    Bobby Flay gives off a douchey attitude but I can honestly say I've never had a bad experience at Mesa Grill - spot on with the steak. But back on topic - I recently tried Striphouse and Ben & Jack's. I would say Striphouse gives off a traditional high-end steakhouse vibe (a la Morton's); the sides were great (truffle creamed spinach and goose fat potatoes). However, I was really impressed with the service at Ben & Jack's (the food was amazing too).