1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for button-down shirts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by WatchGuy, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Some other short casual button downs I found are obedient sons, golden goose and shit I forgot the other besides boo. Woops they're all over 200.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Right, just got back from Target. That man Jason was not lying. These Mossino (Mossimo?) shirts are surprisingly decent, and the fit was spot on! Got one in blue with a brown stripe and, surprisingly to me a rather nice short coat in charcoal with a brownish-red windowpane to it. Target has improved A LOT since I was there last.

cool man, glad it worked for you....nice to know i wasnt imagining that those shirts are actually pretty good.

3. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

How is the length?
    -fn

Seems fine; will measure out the small for you.

4. skalogre

Right, the size small is a smidgeon under 30 inches down the back, from the bottom of the collar. That may be for me a wee bit too short to comfortably wear tucked in but a small price to pay [​IMG]

5. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Well-Known Member

for me: poell, margiela, lmaltieri, and maybe raf simons. so far i love the cuts of all of their button downs i've tried on/owned

6. timpoblete

timpoblete Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with Troglodyte Homunculus? They seem pretty nice, but there aren't any stockists in the SF area, so I can't check the fit. Fit's much like Band of Outsiders?

7. digital_denim

digital_denim Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with Troglodyte Homunculus? They seem pretty nice, but there aren't any stockists in the SF area, so I can't check the fit. Fit's much like Band of Outsiders?

I was just about to ask about this brand too. I was on their website months ago, and stuff was pricey but looked nice. Best name ever for a shirt company!

8. timpoblete

timpoblete Well-Known Member

I was just about to ask about this brand too. I was on their website months ago, and stuff was pricey but looked nice. Best name ever for a shirt company!
    I e-mailed them for stockists in our area and they said that MAC is going to carry them in the spring. But until then, nothing.

9. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Well-Known Member

I think it's this one

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000I5ONG4

but the stores have other fabrics that arent on the website that are more interesting. If yer smaller than a 38 chest, there wont be a size small enough but a S fits me well enough.

i saw that shirt at my local target the other day, jason, but what threw me off was the little mossimo logo on the shirt pocket. i have a feeling others would notice it and laugh inwardly at me. am i being too self-conscious?

10. skalogre

i saw that shirt at my local target the other day, jason, but what threw me off was the little mossimo logo on the shirt pocket. i have a feeling others would notice it and laugh inwardly at me. am i being too self-conscious?

I noticed it too., But I think that the logo is too roughly stitched to be immediately recognisable [​IMG]

11. Get Smart

haha, yea funny thing is it looks like the Pringle logo, so maybe others will think it's Pringle and be inwardly impressed [​IMG] I actually thought about removing the chest pocket, not because of the logo because it doesnt bother me, but I dont like my buttonups shirts to have pockets.

12. ardeetee

ardeetee Well-Known Member

I really like my shirts slim and some of the nicer ones I've tried on are J. Lindeberg and Theory who just makes very nice, basic, clean-looking items. Imo, they are both on the expensive side at full retail but I've found the fit to be great for me.

13. danieldy

danieldy Active Member

I concur with ardeetee, I have a Theory shirt that's cut really really well. Fabric has some stretch to it, too.

14. fashionnoob

haha, yea funny thing is it looks like the Pringle logo, so maybe others will think it's Pringle and be inwardly impressed [​IMG]

I actually thought about removing the chest pocket, not because of the logo because it doesnt bother me, but I dont like my buttonups shirts to have pockets.

how would you go about removing the chest pocket? just cut it out with some scissors? i'm afraid i'm going to end up destroying the shirt if i try this.

15. skalogre

how would you go about removing the chest pocket? just cut it out with some scissors? i'm afraid i'm going to end up destroying the shirt if i try this.

Probably best by removing the stitches from the inside. I have not done it, chances are Jason has some ideas though.

16. Get Smart

The pocket is easy to remove, I just did it to one of my shirts. I cut the stitches from the inside and once you get it started it only takes about 5 min to remove it. Keep in mind when you're done you'll see a ghost of where the pocket was which should be gone after you wash it (or just iron it out) but the one thing that might make you want to leave the pocket on is that you'll see the faint holes where the threading went thru. It's really only visible if you look up close, at "viewing distance" you can't see it, but it's there and I'm not sure how much those holes will "heal" over a few wears and washings. Me, I'm going to go ahead and remove my other shirts' pockets since I prefer my buttonup shirts sans-pocket. If I had paid more than $20 for the shirt I proly would have left it alone.

17. fashionnoob

The pocket is easy to remove, I just did it to one of my shirts. I cut the stitches from the inside and once you get it started it only takes about 5 min to remove it. Keep in mind when you're done you'll see a ghost of where the pocket was which should be gone after you wash it (or just iron it out) but the one thing that might make you want to leave the pocket on is that you'll see the faint holes where the threading went thru. It's really only visible if you look up close, at "viewing distance" you can't see it, but it's there and I'm not sure how much those holes will "heal" over a few wears and washings. Me, I'm going to go ahead and remove my other shirts' pockets since I prefer my buttonup shirts sans-pocket. If I had paid more than $20 for the shirt I proly would have left it alone.

thanks jason-it was pretty easy to do. at first you could definitely see the "ghost" of where the pocket was, but after one round of ironing it's gone. the holes are virtually invisible; you'd have to really be looking for them to notice them. overall, i'm pretty happy with the finished product!

18. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

I actually think the latest iteration of JCrew's washed oxford is great. The quality is decent with single needle tailoring, gussets, pattern matching, etc. Among JCrew's offerings the fit is pretty slim, but I go down a size from a large to a medium and the result is prtty good in terms of fit.

Trovata is also pretty good -- a Trovata large is about a JCrew medium.

I find Target shirts fit me funny. The proportions are off in the shoulder or something.

1 person likes this.
  19. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Well-Known Member

Right, the size small is a smidgeon under 30 inches down the back, from the bottom of the collar.

That may be for me a wee bit too short to comfortably wear tucked in but a small price to pay [​IMG]

Thanks. Thats actually a wee bit too long for me to wear without tucking it in! I prefer it around ~28.5.
    I wish I knew how to alter...maybe time to pick up a new hobby.

-fn

20. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Trovata is also pretty good -- a Trovata large is about a JCrew medium.
    huh. i have to size down on trovata------i get small for my 6'0" 155 frame. i like trovata shirts a lot, though the detailing may be over the top for some.