• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend running shoes

TheD0n

Reaction score
What can you guys recommend for some stylish, well-made, reasonably-priced running shoes?

I run 10-15 miles/week in my Nike Shox and I generally feel good after runs, but I imagine the unnatural shape of the Shox is harming the development of my foot and leg muscles. I would like to get something minimal, and wouldn't mind sticking with Nike.

runner-guy

Reaction score
In order to know what the best running shoe is for you, you really need to take into account your body size and whether or not you pronate while you run. If you're not sure, go to a specialty running store and they can help you determine these things. They can also measure your feet and help you find a proper size. The "best" running shoe is really the one that fits your individual needs.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
..stylish....Nike Shox...

You're doing it wrong.

Like the previous response said - go to a serious running store, get fitted for a shoe. Go easy on the cushioning if you have a choice. After that, best of luck.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What can you guys recommend for some stylish, well-made, reasonably-priced running shoes?

I run 10-15 miles/week in my Nike Shox and I generally feel good after runs, but I imagine the unnatural shape of the Shox is harming the development of my foot and leg muscles. I would like to get something minimal, and wouldn't mind sticking with Nike.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the Shox is harming your development - it's all cushioning IMHO. That said, I agree about heading to a running-specific shoe store and trying on a few pairs. Be forewarned, I think that Nikes generally have higher heels than other brands like adidas/Mizuno/Asics, so if you switch brands you should expect discomfort in your achilles for a week or so as you adjust.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to stick with Nike and want a less supportive shoe, the Nike Frees are a good place to start.

As for getting fitted for the right shoe, I think less is more. I have flat feet and used to run with super supportive shoes to compensate, but that just makes me rely on them. I have since switched to running without heel striking and in a much lighter shoe. Much better!

PITAronin

Reaction score
I'm struck by the OP's original criterion that the shoes be stylish. Not sure what the real issues are here (being a better runner and taking care of your body and avoiding injuries versus looking good.) If you're only running 15 miles a week, and have no intention of building mileage, I'm not sure that the Shox will do significant harm. (Though my daughter - who was a Division 1 track/cross country runner - basically characterizes these as the sort of shoes that trendy sorority girls wear in health clubs and that serious runners eschew.) Recommendation about going to a store that caters to 'real' runners is spot on if you're looking to get serious about adding mileage and accommodating the quirks of your height/weight/feet/running style. If Nike is still appropriate, I've had relatively positive experiences with their Vomero model or with Asics Gel Cumulus. If, on the other hand, you want to get into more of the chi running/forefoot/midfoot strike stuff, you'll probably wind up spending more $ and going with something like Newton Running.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karenh34
The best running shoe is the one that fits your foot size and shape. Each manufacturer typically has the same types of shoe in their product line, but are all shaped differently.

The best advice out of all the posts. Each shoe is different and the best thing to do is go to a store specializing running and get properly fitted out.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the Nike Air Zoom Streak XC 2 is actually a pretty cushy shoe (an common "transition shoe" for those who want to try minimal). You can find it for under $50 online too (just google coupons for runningwarehouse).

its only 5.7oz because its basically mesh on top of a regular sole. great ventilation. I used this throughout 2009.

NKSTRKO-1.jpg

tjcam

Reaction score
I agree with the posts that recommend going to a running store to get fitted. However, there has been a lot of buzz lately that less is more, which a running store most likely will disagree with since they are in the business of selling a variety of shoes based on size, gait, etc... I am seeing a lot more people in the Vibram five fingers (which I'm not a fan of) as they believe it is a more natural way to run. The closest shoe to that is the Nike Free.

Best bet is to talk to a running store, try some shoes and ask about this natural approach more people are trying. You can't really go wrong with any shoe as long as it's comfortable.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of Nike Free Run+'s. I like the bare-foot/less cushion feel. It's not as drastic as you would imagine, but they are comfortable. Try on a pair, see what you think.

Stedye

Reaction score
Give Saucony and Oacics a look. I own both and they are great shoes.

dacia1300

Reaction score
nike zoom air vomeros are pretty good, again your best bet is to go into a running store and get properly fitted for something that suits your gait.

polo votarient

Reaction score
Go to a running store and get fitted, I went to one that a friend of mine works at and he was telling me how I may end up getting a collapsing arch and that I shoud buy some shoes with support and think about getting some arch support insoles.

I use to buy nike for running and when I bought a pair of Asics it was the best decision I have made for equipment. Get fitted and get a pair of Asics or Sacony or Brooks, get what feels comfortable and fits your needs. I would not buy a pair of nike shoes made for everyone.

I get lucky and one of the guys at the sations extends his discount so I get my running shoes for half price.
smile.gif
Im about to order a pair of Asics Kayano for 70, they retail for 140 i belive so I feel food about my investment.
smile.gif

jamays00

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these Nike Free+

nike-free-run-plus-01.jpg

they are an ugly pair of shoes but I like running in them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads