1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a printer

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Teger, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

My 6 year old canon three function printer has died :( and have no idea what's the haps in the printing world these days.

I'd like to spend as little as possible on the printer - as well as cartridges - although I don't print a lot so cartridge cost isn't a deal breaker.

Needs to be able to scan.

Would prefer wireless.

What's the recs?

2. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

does it need to be able to do color?

also, laser or inkjet? you gonna be doing any photos?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

yes color. no photos. i guess inkjet (cheaper, no?)

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

no, laser costs are significantly cheaper over the long term, what with refillable toner cartridges and no color to buy. even remanufactured toners are far cheaper and it'll bring your costs WAY down. the flipside is that inkjet printers tend to be more expensive upfront. not significantly, but still.

sadly, your printer has some seriously shitty timing. you missed all the real good black friday deals. keep an eye out for tomorrow's savings.

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

is there just some random printer that will work ok and costs like $60?

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

with wireless and a flatbed, not unless its a complete piece of shit.

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

last year, we spent like $100 in Best Buy on an ink jet with a scanner and wirless. It's awful. So awful that I just print off everything at work and only use the home one if it's an absolute emergency. Even so, the emergency printer is only running a 50/50 completion rate.

Laser all the way, really. Either spend the extra or print at Kinkos or something until you can spend the extra.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I'm following this thread. Printing is rather expensive at my University (0,05€ per page... I'm 100% sure they could cut down the cost to 0,02€ per page without making a loss). So keep the suggestions coming.

10. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

If you don't print alot you can get one for under $100 onsale at various places.

11. BBSLM

BBSLM Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I can print for free on campus so I'm not in a rush.

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

yeah, that Canon was a great deal. again, it was just a black friday special. there might be some more sales nearer to christmas.

14. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Or after.

15. Sabrosa

Sabrosa Well-Known Member

I hate buying printers more than any other piece of technology... that said, anyone have a good laser printer recommendation for home office use?

I could probably get away with black and white, but might check out color options as well.

It doesn't need to scan/fax, though wireless is important and auto-duplex would be a huge plus. Looking for good print quality, reliability, and reasonably priced toner refills over the long term (would rather pay more for the printer up front, etc). It'll mostly be used for text, some graphics, but not photos.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Find cheap ink and buy a printer that uses it--seriously.

FWIW you could probably fix your old printer. My 10+ year-old Canon failed and it turned out to be a clogged waste-ink hose I could have fixed with a pipe cleaner (I actually threw about $70 worth of parts at it). But I have a small crate of 75-cent ink cartridges so it was worth it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  17. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Buy a laser, inkjets rape you on ink costs.

We've been okay with Brother for a while.

18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I have a Brother duplex laser printer that I got at black friday for $40 two years ago. It's been working flawlessly. I have it set up as a network Printer attached to my main Desktop (which is rarely powered off) so I can print from any laptop or even my tablet.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I have a Lexmark e450dn that was purchased when I moved into my college apartment and there would be 5 people printing crap. Laser is key for crisp text and longevity since toner is cheap and lasts forever compared to ink. It has auto duplexing which is great.
    What do you mean by wireless? The printer itself takes an ethernet cable, so you have to have it near your router, but I can print wirelessly to it from any of my computers.

Obviously that is an old model. but it looks like either the e260dn or the e460dn would work perfectly (or the e460dw if you absolutely need wireless on the printer end). I got it with a ton of rebates so it was cheap...but it was definitely worth the full price.

For you and Teger's scanning needs--just pick up a flatbed scanner. They are dirt cheap on ebay for an older model and take up very little space. Those multifunction devices tend to be crap.

20. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Bump if anyone has additional recs.
    I am looking for an all in one: print/scan/fax/copy. Doubt I will print flicks.....
    Reading this thread has me thinking about laser.....