• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend A Washing Machine For Me

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Must haves:

• Top loader
  • Agitator driven
  • Needs to be at least 3.2 cu. ft. load capacity. Bigger would be better.
  • Stainless steel tub
  • Budget is $400-$600

Don't need a lot of bells and whistles beyond temperature, water level/load size, and wash speed choices. I send my shirts out so mainly I'm washing socks, underwear, gym clothes, towels and (king size) sheets, etc. Priorities are reliability and performance.

I'm seriously considering joining Consumer Reports to see what they have to say but thought I'd post here first.

Thanks in advance.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
do what i did. get a wife.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
hard to beat hand washing.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
Must haves:
  • Top loader
  • Agitator driven
  • Needs to be at least 3.2 cu. ft. load capacity. Bigger would be better.
  • Stainless steel tub
  • Budget is $400-$600
Don't need a lot of bells and whistles beyond temperature, water level/load size, and wash speed choices.

I've got a Haier in my apartment, it's very similar to your requirements. From what I've seen Haier machines are always solid, reliable and quite well made as well.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agitator driven top loaders kind of suck compared with front loaders.

WUKILLABEEZ78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Agitator driven top loaders kind of suck compared with front loaders.

I agree. I have front loading Whirlpool Duets (washer and dryer). Front loaders are a lot gentler on your clothes (less wear and tear on your clothing) and they are generally much more efficient (less energy to run/quicker washing and drying/less detergent per load, etc...). Their are many different brands and models but I would price some front loaders and compare them and their ratings to the top loaders you were considering. Front loaders are usually rated higher. If you just have to have a top loader for some reason I'd get one that isn't agitator driven (although if you do this you might as well get a front loader).

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Was going to recommend a Miele, until I saw this:
I have a Miele washer and drier. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them based on reliability and performance. (but they might be outside of the OP's price range.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Why a top loader?

From what I've read, front loaders have problems with mold building up in the door, have smaller capacity, and are generally more expensive and vibrate more than TL's. Also, I think I read something about they dry better in the spin cycle but the clothes are more prone to wrinkling as a result. Plus, the one I have is a TL so it's what I'm used to.

As I said, I'm not looking to spend big bucks on this - I'd be more inclined to put money towards kitchen appliances quicker than I would laundry. If I can get something that will last 10 years, get my stuff clean, and be relatively quiet (my laundry room is on the 2nd floor down the hall from my bedroom), I'll be more than happy.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, front loaders have problems with mold building up in the door, have smaller capacity, and are generally more expensive and vibrate more than TL's. Also, I think I read something about they dry better in the spin cycle but the clothes are more prone to wrinkling as a result. Plus, the one I have is a TL so it's what I'm used to.

As I said, I'm not looking to spend big bucks on this - I'd be more inclined to put money towards kitchen appliances quicker than I would laundry. If I can get something that will last 10 years, get my stuff clean, and be relatively quiet (my laundry room is on the 2nd floor down the hall from my bedroom), I'll be more than happy.

I've had top loaders for ~12 years.
Never had a mold problem, and have lived in humid summer climates.

You get much MORE laundry in the modern front loaders, at least the bigger US models as a front loaders allows you to pack in much more bulk than a top loader can handle. What was two loads in the top loader in one in our most recent front loader.

Properly balanced, there are no vibration issues.

Water savings are significant and dryer time is greatly reduced, another bonus.

Unfortunately, if you are buying new, your budget allows you mostly basic top loaders.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I miss the 'Recommend A Dryer For Me' thread?

OP needs to buy a front loader combo washer/dryer or a stackable washer dryer pair. Assuming he is single (which is a good assumption, because he's not thinking of the dryer) and that he will not be doing multiple loads at once (which is a good assumption, because he's single) - he'll get away with the combo. Budget's blown, but he doesn't want clothes hanging around his apartment.

From what I've read, front loaders have problems with mold building up in the door

The solution to this is to leave the door open after you're done using it. True story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics