1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ama

ama Well-Known Member

2. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Heat 3T Olive Oil in dutch oven until hot but not smoking, pat 8 chicken drumsticks dry and season well with S&P. Brown chicken in batches until golden all around, and remove chicken. Stir in 1 large chopped onion, 3T of chopped fresh cilantro, 3t of minced garlic, 1t coriander, 1t of ras el hanout and cook until onion is softened, about 5 or 6 minutes (add a little chicken stock if needed to prevent sticking). Add 2 cups of chicken stock and return chicken to dutch oven. Cook at a bare simmer, covered for 30 minutes, removing cover to stir occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas, 1/2 cup of golden raisins, 1/2 -1t of harissa, zest of one small orange, and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. serve over couscous and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro.

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

General Question: when measuring chopped herbs do you pack them into the measuring spoon or is a lighter touch required?

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

What are you making? I would just season to taste. But if the recipe specifically calls for a cup of "packed" herbs, then I would press them gently into the measuring cup. Otherwise, I would just make a rough measurement. Unless you're measuring flour for a cake, it really doesn't have to be exact.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I was just referencing MarBear's recipe above and the actual technique of measuring chopped herbs.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Don't pack.

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Gratzi

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

don't pack and get an amount that looks like what you would like

9. dacox

dacox Well-Known Member

This. Don't pack, Use the recipe as a guideline, but if you're cooking for yourself follow your taste.

10. itsstillmatt

Any other particular requests?

11. edinatlanta

when makin them pretty little drops you put on plates and shit, how hard to squeeze the device expelling the liquid?

12. itsstillmatt

Which dots?

13. vaalbara

vaalbara Well-Known Member

do you have any fairly simple shrimp or cabbage recipes?

14. itsstillmatt

Re discussion of brandade. Sorry for the dorkiness of the recipe. Blame my wife.

1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced
    1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
    2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 lb thick cut salt cod (soak for 24 hours before using, refreshing the water a few times)
    3/4 lbs all-purpose potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick crosswise slices
    2 canned peeled plum tomatoes, with their interior juices
    12 Gaeta olives, pitted and halved
    2 tbsp. salted capers, thoroughly rinsed
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 C water
    1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

In a deep 10-inch skillet, a saute pan, or a shallow stove-top casserole, which should have a cover and, optimally, should be presentable enough to take the table, saute the onion and the garlic in the olive oil until the onion is golden, about 8 minutes. Remove and reserve about half the onion and garlic mixture.
    Arrange a layer of salt cod over the onions remaining in the pan, then make a layer of sliced potato. Spread around the reserved onion mixture. Cut or crush the tomatoes directly into the pan and spread them around. Spread around the olives, the capers, and the oregano. Pour the water over all, then drizzle with the additional tablespoon of olive oil.
    Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Keep the heat adjusted so the dish simmers briskly for about 30 minutes. In the end, the potatoes should be tender and a flavorful broth will have developed.
    Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes, during which time the potatoes will become softer, absorbing some of the juices; the juices left in the pan, although reduced in volume, will become a rosy colored sauce.
    For maximum visual effect, bring the pan to the table undisturbed and serve, hot or warm, directly from the pan

15. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Thanks Matt. Will be trying this soon. I have read that traditional salt cods like you might find at a Philippino market take longer than 24 hours of soaking, compared to the prepared mass distributed ones. What do you use? I always buy the brand in the little wooden box one can sometimes find at Whole Foods.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Tell your wife her recipes read FAR better than yours do.

17. itsstillmatt

Either from the Italian deli or a Spanish market. Try to get European ones for European recipes.

And fuck you too, Rambo.

18. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

:laugh:

Seriously though, tell her to give you some pointers.

19. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

Does she have a nice recipe for pumpkin pie?

20. edinatlanta

matt do you have a gourmet cookie recipe? i know that sounds dumb but I want to make something different. also what is your most complex recipe?