1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent Sartorialist Looks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Jan 22, 2009.

1. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Well-Known Member

2. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Well-Known Member

Does it scare any of you that these old guys look so much better than us young 'lins? [​IMG]

3. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Apprentice eunuch.

4. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Well-Known Member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
  5. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Banks > www.jeffreybanksdesign.com/2.html started with Ralph Lauren as a teen in the '70s

he has got some terrible photography on his website

6. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

he has got some terrible photography on his website
    And you think that your taking photos of animals flattened between plates of glass constitutes good photography? [​IMG] Just sayin'. [​IMG]

7. chrisb0109

And you think that your taking photos of animals flattened between plates of glass constitutes good photography?

[​IMG]

Just sayin'. [​IMG]

Yes, although that piece has nothing to do with photography. It is really just documentation of a performance installation. I'm sorry it confuses you. Its a bit esoteric at first glance.

The photography on the linked website simply constitutes technically and stylistically dated images.

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I think around 23% of USA males smoke.

Given that smoking is much much less amongst the middle classes (educated and /or wealthy) and higher amongst the working classes and underclass and youths the average is a distortion.

The Sartorialist snaps a disproportionate number of smokers.

He never snaps outside a narrow range of the bourgeoisie. One would expect that this cohort would be about 10% - 15% smokers at the max.

It seems to me, and I haven’t done a statistical analysis, that the proportion of males smoking in his snaps is around 50% - 60-% and that for some reason he is deliberately snapping smokers.

Or alternatively there is a strangely high correlation between smokers and those who attend fashion events.

9. chrisb0109

I think around 23% of USA males smoke. Given that smoking is much much less amongst the middle classes (educated and /or wealthy) and higher amongst the working classes and underclass and youths the average is a distortion. The Sartorialist snaps a disproportionate number of smokers. He never snaps outside a narrow range of the bourgeoisie. One would expect that this cohort would be about 10% - 15% smokers at the max. It seems to me, and I haven’t done a statistical analysis, that the proportion of males smoking in his snaps is around 50% - 60-% and that for some reason he is deliberately snapping smokers. Or alternatively there is a strangely high correlation between smokers and those who attend fashion events.
    Bingo. While your statistics may be correct as a whole, that small percentage of the upper class that does smoke is almost entirely concentrated in the art and fashion community. I'm sure his male subjects are also disproportionately gay. Its part of the cultural niche in which he exists.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Or alternatively there is a strangely high correlation between smokers and those who attend fashion events.

A correlation between fashion events and people desperately trying to look cool?

I think you might have something there...

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

The photography on the linked website simply constitutes technically and stylistically dated images.

Because they ARE dated images... some are 30 years old, documenting his early work.

12. chrisb0109

Because they ARE dated images... some are 30 years old, documenting his early work.

I see that, but it doesn't changed their quality. They are still poorly done images.

This really wasn't meant as a point of contention, just a simple observation.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I think around 23% of USA males smoke. Given that smoking is much much less amongst the middle classes (educated and /or wealthy) and higher amongst the working classes and underclass and youths the average is a distortion. The Sartorialist snaps a disproportionate number of smokers. He never snaps outside a narrow range of the bourgeoisie. One would expect that this cohort would be about 10% - 15% smokers at the max. It seems to me, and I haven’t done a statistical analysis, that the proportion of males smoking in his snaps is around 50% - 60-% and that for some reason he is deliberately snapping smokers. Or alternatively there is a strangely high correlation between smokers and those who attend fashion events.
    1) A lot of people he shoots aren't Americans, proportions of smokers are different and differently distributed in other countries. 2) Everyone in fashion smokes (well say 50-60%). When you"re waiting for a show to begin or going out you can see the crowd lighting up.

14. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

15. onix

onix Well-Known Member

I see that, but it doesn't changed their quality. They are still poorly done images. This really wasn't meant as a point of contention, just a simple observation.
    1. Film camera 2. No Photoshop 4. Their flash is probably a flash bulb 3. Unlikely to have big budget for advertisement like nowaday I would like to see what you can do in that situation.

16. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lovin' the boots.

17. axe

axe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    So incredibly punchable.

18. Exit English

Exit English Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I like this look quite a bit. He needs to trim his beard but its a good look.

19. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Well-Known Member

^ This will be NewYorkRanger soon if the teacher contract thing doesn't work out...

EZ

20. chrisb0109

1. Film camera
    2. No Photoshop
    4. Their flash is probably a flash bulb
    3. Unlikely to have big budget for advertisement like nowaday

I would like to see what you can do in that situation.

None of those have any bearing on the quality of the images. It is the photographer's stylistic and technical choices to which I am referring. You don't need a digital camera or photoshop to produce a good picture. The lighting equipment makes no difference and most of the time, neither does the budget.

In that situation I could make a quality image, just like many other photographers. Its always funny to hear from people who do not understand photography. They seem to think that digital cameras, photoshop, advanced lighting, and a big budget make producing a great image easier.