1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by minya, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I'm not about saving money, I'm about getting exactly the look I want and I don't mind spending that much on something that I like more than a custom "dress" shirt.

I'm with you on that boat....I think that's a big difference in the mindset between the Streetwear and MC sides of the forum, this side is more about getting the desired look, regardless of price (but of course everyone prefers to pay less rather than more). The MC side seems to be about finding bargains and letting what's on sale determine their look. Not there's anything wrong with that either, just different approaches to achieving "style".

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

The MC side seems to be about finding bargains and letting what's on sale determine their look. Not there's anything wrong with that either, just different approaches to achieving "style".

I'm not sure that's the case with shoes, though... read the current G&G thread heh

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Mogwai,

I'm a little taller than 5'10" and 180 lbs pretty muscular been lifting for years but not huge and kind of lean. My shoulders are pretty broad and arms somewhat big. I wear a 42 in blazers, sometimes 40 depending on the cut. There is no way you will fit into the L if they have the darts on the back which mine do. Fits kinda tight in shoulder and forearm since sleeves are slim but not uncomfortable at all. Once you have it on you forget the fit because there is no discomfort. Ryan and I are both the same size and he takes a XL in the slim cut ones but they still look like a size medium [​IMG]

I just ordered a pink/white BoO Oxford from shopjake for $75 in XXL, I figure it should work ok with me wearing a 44 jacket.

4. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that boat....I think that's a big difference in the mindset between the Streetwear and MC sides of the forum, this side is more about getting the desired look, regardless of price (but of course everyone prefers to pay less rather than more). The MC side seems to be about finding bargains and letting what's on sale determine their look. Not there's anything wrong with that either, just different approaches to achieving "style".

I don't think this is true for either forum, but if anything the guys on the other forum spend way more than the streetwear guys. I dress streetwear about 99% of the time, and I spend more on clothes than any of my friends, but I still have my limits and I'm sure you do too. You say you want the best look regardless of price, but there must me some price at which you draw the line, right? Some of the guys on the other forum have more money invested in their shoes than I have invested in everything I own put together (aside from real estate).

5. Get Smart

of course we all have a line regarding price, but in context to JETs original point with the BoO shirt, I think (and I'm severly generalizing here) more "streetwear" guys will pay full retail to get a specific item that gives him a specific look than the "MC" guys who usually arent so style-specific and can find another item on sale that will serve the same purpose for his look. Personally speaking, if I am looking for a certain cricket sweater and I have the option of 100% what I'm envisioning for $200 and another sweater that is 80% of my vision for $50, I will always choose the $200 one.

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

of course we all have a line regarding price, but in context to JETs original point with the BoO shirt, I think (and I'm severly generalizing here) more "streetwear" guys will pay full retail to get a specific item that gives him a specific look than the "MC" guys who usually arent so style-specific and can find another item on sale that will serve the same purpose for his look. Personally speaking, if I am looking for a certain cricket sweater and I have the option of 100% what I'm envisioning for $200 and another sweater that is 80% of my vision for $50, I will always choose the $200 one.

Possibly because good wool is more expensive than good denim?

Also, if your 100% sweater is $1500 and your 80% sweater is $250, which do you choose then?

Also, maybe it's harder to stick out when wearing jeans because there are more people who dress better on the street than in the office.

And the mysteries continue.

7. Get Smart

Also, if your 100% sweater is $1500 and your 80% sweater is $250, which do you choose then?

Also, maybe it's harder to stick out when wearing jeans because there are more people who dress better on the street than in the office.

bastard! our pocketbooks all have limits unfortunately. I liked my example better since it was comparing 2 items within financial means and I was able to manipulate the scenario to my advantage.

that said, I might like tailored gear more than streetwear, but I wear more streetwear.

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Possibly because good wool is more expensive than good denim?

I'd like to see what a $1500 sweater looks like [​IMG]

I know they exist but my point is the marginal difference in quality b/w a 300 and a 1500 isn't as great as the variance b/w a 50 and 300 dollar sweater. Still I think that was an excellent viewpoint by GS that a lot of us share I think. I would never take the $50 dollar sweater if I love the $250 sweater which was the point of the discussion.

9. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Sheeeeeeeeet, mang. I've seen $2500 sweaters at Fred Segal with holes in the elbows and Anarchy symbols on the chest. Those are for the punk rockers. The expensive ones are upstairs.

10. Get Smart

along the lines of what we've been talking about the past few messages, here are a pair of Paul Smith mainline boots I bought 2 weekends ago...I had been looking at laceup boots in the $150-200 range and decided to go with what *I really wanted* and got the PS, which I havent regretted for one second. It was exactly what I wanted in every detail.

[​IMG]

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Nice man, I would definitely rock those. I've been looking at so many boots this season [​IMG]

Same thing with my mm pants, I had been looking for something like them for 2 years. I finally gave up and then I found them so I dropped 4 bills on the spot with the quickness. Same thing with my ervell jacket, it's the perfect go-to jacket and I knew it was the one when I saw it. I can buy cheap shit all day long but at the end of the day I'll look in my closet and won't be happy.

Baron, I know I've seen some ridiculous shit for thousands of dollars. Shit's not even nice [​IMG]

12. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

What Ervell jacket did you get? The navy blue zip/button bomber style jacket at South Willard was beautiful. Did you get that one?

13. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Well-Known Member

two of the few things i got in the mail today. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Get Smart

I'd like to see what a $1500 sweater looks like

almost every Hermes cardigan sweater costs $1000+ (!!)

over the weekend I saw a pair of Thom Browne cashmere mittens for $600 in the latest GQStyle magazine (!!!!)

15. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

Got my W+H black pinstripe duffel in the mail. Might post pictures soon. Drool...

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

What Ervell jacket did you get? The navy blue zip/button bomber style jacket at South Willard was beautiful. Did you get that one?

yessir [​IMG]

one of my best purchases ever, love the detail down to the cashmere cuffs

GS I know, I was playin

17. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Completely black Puma Romas since I oh so love wearing sneakers with my formal wear :p

18. shuguru314

shuguru314 Member

GetSmart......those paul smith's make my heart smile !![​IMG]
    can i ask how much over your 200 price you went?

19. Get Smart

they were $530 and worth every penny, to me at least. needless to say, I wont be buying another stitch this year until boxing day sales

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

they were $530 and worth every penny, to me at least. needless to say, I wont be buying another stitch this year until boxing day sales

Buying now was a good decision though, those look like they would have been gone by sales time. Very nice boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.