1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I think Undercover is too eclectic and hard to pin down for SF.

I personally really like Undercover. It's a nearly perfect combination of runway and street, which is the way most stylish people dress anyway.

2. Knisse

Knisse Well-Known Member

@designer talk Prediction: SW&D cool kids are going to be on Balenciaga next. You heard it here first.
    I hope, never thought of purchasing anything from Balenciaga so i'm okay with this.

3. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

washed LVC 1967 505 for around 30$
    redbluewhite plaid poplin bd from Gant Rugger

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Well, undercover's prices are high and there is not a wide internet distribution for them. If it was featured on 4-5 popular internet boutiques and a few well known b&m stores then i'm sure we'd see undercover all over the place in internet land. Tough to consistently get for most and there is little to no ebay/forum resale market right now.

That's pretty much when all the brands get big on sufu/sf. Even margiela, raf, rick, ervell, etc... weren't that popular until the resale market took off. If some of these brands cared about the internet forum market (can't tell if they do now compared to 2 years ago when it was more lulz), it seems wise to just have a 1 time only deep-ish sale on their online retailers and/or have a large sample sale to get their product out there on the internet to get people hooked. Get a $150-250 undercover item 2nd hand and that person is more likely to make their next big purchase a $400-600 undercover jacket or something

don't want to do it too much though or it gets watered down like what happened to BoO and probably ervell at this point (with non-stop gilt sales). Why would anyone buy a $250 retail ervell button up anymore?

5. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

Well, undercover's prices are high and there is not a wide internet distribution for them. If it was featured on 4-5 popular internet boutiques and a few well known b&m stores then i'm sure we'd see undercover all over the place in internet land. Tough to consistently get for most and there is little to no ebay/forum resale market right now.

That's pretty much when all the brands get big on sufu/sf. Even margiela, raf, rick, ervell, etc... weren't that popular until the resale market took off. If some of these brands cared about the internet forum market (can't tell if they do now compared to 2 years ago when it was more lulz), it seems wise to just have a 1 time only deep-ish sale on their online retailers and/or have a large sample sale to get their product out there on the internet to get people hooked. Get a $150-250 undercover item 2nd hand and that person is more likely to make their next big purchase a $400-600 undercover jacket or something

don't want to do it too much though or it gets watered down like what happened to BoO and probably ervell at this point (with non-stop gilt sales). Why would anyone buy a $250 retail ervell button up anymore?

+1 for the 1st two paragraphs.
    as to the third... I don't think those brands ever really get that much of their full retail sales from the SF and SUFU crowds. Even before BoO for instance got watered down I don't think too many people here were going out and buying BoO at 210 plus... though they still get a lot of forum people to buy once the first round of sales drop prices to around 150ish.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

well, BoO did damn well - considering the sheer numbers they get to produce in, those button ups cost them no more than like $15 to make, that's on the high side. Maybe $10 (where are they made again?) Genius brand concept.

7. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

@designer talk Prediction: SW&D cool kids are going to be on Balenciaga next. You heard it here first.
    hello and welcome to last week

8. snake

snake Well-Known Member

True, it's unfortunate that there are only so few undercover stockists outside of Japan. There are however, some really nice pieces that will pop up on sufu (and even yjp (but I don't have enough self control to freely roam that site)).

9. snake

snake Well-Known Member

I know summers right around the corner, but I had to. Been on my list for awhile now. [​IMG]

10. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

that is some serious steampunk shit

11. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Well-Known Member

12. snake

snake Well-Known Member

that is some serious steampunk shit

Those snaps make me love it even more.

13. SwiftLearner

SwiftLearner Well-Known Member

Clarks Original Desert Boots, Beeswax

Sperry Topsiders Authentic Original Boat Shoe, Sahara

Levi's 511 Denim Cutoff Shorts (Indigo)

Levi's 511 Corduroy Cutoff Shorts (Khaki)

14. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

What is it? I have a KKA coat with very similar snaps.

15. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Ironic sn on this page.

16. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

17. snake

snake Well-Known Member

It's viridi anne from a few season back.

18. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

those snaps are fairly standard pieces, normally used for women's clothes though.

Margiela made a collection in the late '90's with snaps like that except gonzo-sized; the theme of the collection was 1960's doll clothes replicas, made to scale. Awesome collection that'd be great just to display.

19. __CB__

__CB__ Well-Known Member

Don't know why everyone is saying Undercover is so hard to find online. Off the top of my head, Browns, Slam Jam, The Corner, The-Glade, Farfetch, Alan Bilzerian all carry it. The markup outside Japan is definitely high though, probably the biggest reason you don't see more of it on here.

Haven't seen it in person yet, but this season seems mostly boring unforunately.

20. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Yeah, those are incredible. I can really imagine it more easily with crisp, white high-collar shirts, tapered trousers, slim boots, and perhaps a cravat for over-the-top neo-victoriana. Beautiful coat.