1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rjbman

rjbman Well-Known Member

Neal Stephenson consistently amazes me with how he can write 1k+ page books about hugely different topics and themes.

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Neal Stephenson is great! Have loved everything I have read by him.

Great recs so far. I would also like to add The Book of the New Sun quartet by Gene Wolfe. Amazing, amazing series, one of my most read sets of science-fantasy (it's my Lord of the Rings I guess) along with Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber and Lord of Light. Also, Jack Vance's set of stories "The Dying Earth". I think there was a Fantasy Masterworks release that collected all of them into one book so that is definitely the one to track down.

Surprised no one has mentioned Iain M. Banks so far wrt space opera. Use of Weapons, Player of Games, Consider Phlebas are all damn amazing sci-fi.

I would also throw in Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

Yes, Book of the New Sun is my favorite (I called it Shadow of the Torturer because I couldn't remember the name of the actual series... :embar: )

4. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

where should one start with ian m banks? i read one of his "culture" books, and just didnt like it, seemed so "far out". On the other hand, I loved "transition" by his other persona Ian Banks (without the M...).

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

personally I think ereaders make researching/writing an essay much harder.

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

this is not true.

7. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

william gibson started and ended the cyberpunk genre. everything that's been written post-neuromancer (including his own stuff) is just a pale shadow of what came before. was really a groundbreaking, incredible book. it's a shame that nothing he's written since has come close.

i'm also a fan of really old and really obscure orson scott card (planet called treason, worthing saga). he's also an underrated short story writer.

8. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

9. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

it's a dumb argument. there are clear advantages and disadvantages to ereaders, and readers are not an entirely new type of communication a la instant messaging/email.

10. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I said that though ... oh well. This is like the last thing in the world I'm interested in arguing about.

11. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

also some book recs:

early stephen king is also really underrated. the long walk, the running man, thinner, his early short story collections (especially different seasons). all surprisingly good.

i used to read a ton of fantasy but I've outgrown it, although one series i always loved that nobody ever talked about was the 'monarchies of god'.

i vary between reading nonfiction and fiction, and i also read a lot of 'trashy' books. a few months ago i was more 'serious' literature, but it comes in waves. you should never be ashamed of what you're reading - the fact that you're reading at all makes you better than most. as long as you're not reading twilight or eragon.

12. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

^^ Too bad. (Only posting because I already wrote it, not piling on. )

It's not a nostalgia-fueled blanket condemnation of "new technology" or some shit. No one is criticizing e-readers as technological product per se, the thing can be useful and I could see myself getting one if I were to travel or something. But to me, the impact that the widespread use of this kind of product has on society, the trend it illustrates, far outweighs its very minor advantages so it's hard for me to get on board. Perfect is the enemy of good and there's no doubt in my mind that past a certain point technological advances of that kind become gimmicks more detrimental than anything, a hindrance, solutions looking for problems. As other have pointed out, I don't see the trend of turning everything into a stupid screen as a progress and the perspective of seeing physical books marginalized in favor of digitized content has worrying implications (and no, it's not comparable to music) even aside from data-collection.

I have no problems reconciling that position with my heavy internet use, probably because I see internet as an indispensable tool whereas e-readers are just redundant gadgets. Which is actually pretty sad and says a lot about how much internet fucked up my brain. I'll say this, I'm happy I got through at least part of my childhood before internet came along.

11 people like this.
  13. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Hmm, would like to know which one you read. The more recent Culture stuff I haven't liked personally, but Use of Weapons is the best of them in my opinion. Definitely read that or Player of Games. Only read the earlier books under his Iain Banks moniker - Wasp Factory, Walking on Glass, The Bridge, Complicity and A Song of Stone. Transition is on my "to pick up" list though.

14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

break a butterfly?

15. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

? :foo:

also vernor vince has some good stuff.

1 person likes this.
  16. artishard116

artishard116 Well-Known Member

only read the ender's series, been meaning to check out his other stuff.

17. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

all of his modern stuff is shit, he's kind of a crazy neocon mormon and he wrote a ton of books basically retelling mormon mythology. he's not a very good writer, but the early stuff has a scope and inventiveness that's lacking from everything post speaker of the dead.

look at 'a planet called treason' and 'the worthing saga.' both are $4 or so shipped on half.com. seriously though, if you like darker/dystopian scifi buy stephen king's 'the long walk.'

pournelle and niven have some good stuff - footfall (a little hokey), lucifer's hammer and their best, a mote in god's eye/the gripping hand. i don't know if you can really call lucifer's hammer 'scifi' though.

1 person likes this.
  18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

There comes a point where you just have to put down the ancillary stuff and finish the essential. Proust, man. The whole of Proust. Now, rather than later, because one day, you will die.

(I know it's dorky, but it bears repeating).

I also don't think it's wrong or ironic or hypocritical that one prefers books, but uses the Internet, even excessively. I mean, the Internet is great for talking about things, but it is not the thing, if that makes sense. Giving up on books would change us.

This is hard to summarize on a phone. :embar:

19. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

A Plague of Butterflies

old skool

20. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

I read the thing that took place in some kind of alternate colonial America with people with powers, indians etc. I liked it a lot, was long ago though. Probably had some crazy undertones I didn't pick up on.