• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent College Graduate having a huge Dilemma

fashion_newbie

Reaction score

That sounds terrible. I don't mind working, and I don't mind working hard but this just seems like throwing away years of your life.

Since you said you quit, what are your feelings on having worked those types of hours, in retrospect?

The first year and a half was exciting. The second year and a half sucked. However, I can't really hate the whole experience, it allowed me to take a year long vacation at 25. That year justified the three years of working.

I also don't think 'throwing away your life' is fair. While I had a lot less free time, I did so much more with it. In other words, my friends spent all weekend sitting at home, watching tv and being a bum. When I had a few free hours on a Saturday, I actually did something - explore a new neighborhood, take a class, go sailing, whatever the case might be. In some ways, I enjoyed my free time a lot more than those who had it in abundance.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The first year and a half was exciting. The second year and a half sucked. However, I can't really hate the whole experience, it allowed me to take a year long vacation at 25. That year justified the three years of working.

I also don't think 'throwing away your life' is fair. While I had a lot less free time, I did so much more with it. In other words, my friends spent all weekend sitting at home, watching tv and being a bum. When I had a few free hours on a Saturday, I actually did something - explore a new neighborhood, take a class, go sailing, whatever the case might be. In some ways, I enjoyed my free time a lot more than those who had it in abundance.

I understand all this, but the guy working 40 hours a week has time to do all those things AND be a bum on the weekends. At least that's been my experience.

But this isn't to say that I don't admire your hard work and I also think it's great that you got to take a year long trip. I just don't think I'd be able to do that type of work schedule for three years in a row.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Out of college, I worked for 80-100 hrs/week, 7 days a week, including holidays (4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc). Got to take one week off each summer. Did it for three years, quit my job and spent a full year traveling.
Admittedly, being a ***** in some industries is more lucrative than others but at the end of the day, depends on what you really want to do. You could hate your job in a year or two, you never know.
In most professions you have to pay your dues early in your career if you want success later.

BlacKidLA

Reaction score

+1 for telling it like it is. Thanks a lot guys for all of your advice and comments. I think I can see clearer now that I've talked to you guys. As aizan said, there is life after 25 and I think I finally get it.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In most professions you have to pay your dues early in your career if you want success later.

That's way more than "dues". The only professions I can think of where you pay dues like that are banking and corporate law. Those types of hours just aren't reality for most professions.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's way more than "dues". The only professions I can think of where you pay dues like that are banking and corporate law. Those types of hours just aren't reality for most professions.

Maybe academic scientific research too. 70 hour weeks aren't uncommon for late year grad students and postdocs, and then pre-tenure professors work at least as hard.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe academic scientific research too. 70 hour weeks aren't uncommon for late year grad students and postdocs, and then pre-tenure professors work at least as hard.

I think there are a fair amount of people out there gunning for a promotion (or tenure) working 55-60 hours weeks. But 80-100 is really only the realm of bankers and corp. lawyers as far as I know.

I did have a prof in college who was easily logging 70 hours a week though.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually very surprised you said you can get an assistant position while coming out of Indiana. No offense to IU but this is a tier 2 school and the "big name" talent agencies all target top 5 and sometimes top 10 undergrad and mba's.

Here is what you need to think about though. If you go and travel the world and etc, the ONLY way you are going to get an admin position is if you really know someone who has a ton of pull at a major agency AND/OR go to a top 5-10 B school and go from there. This is my honest opinion and I know many "important" people in Hollywood, especially from living here for the past 10 yrs.

You're at a crossroads, young man. GL with whatever you do.

Cheers

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think there are a fair amount of people out there gunning for a promotion (or tenure) working 55-60 hours weeks. But 80-100 is really only the realm of bankers and corp. lawyers as far as I know.

I did have a prof in college who was easily logging 70 hours a week though.

I worked 70+ hours a week for six straight months my last year of grad school. Our postdoc rarely left before midnight, worked seven days a week. He's a prof now and works about the same. It's pretty crazy.

But it's not common, outside of a very few fields, for sure.

BlacKidLA

Reaction score
I'm actually very surprised you said you can get an assistant position while coming out of Indiana. No offense to IU but this is a tier 2 school and the "big name" talent agencies all target top 5 and sometimes top 10 undergrad and mba's.

Here is what you need to think about though. If you go and travel the world and etc, the ONLY way you are going to get an admin position is if you really know someone who has a ton of pull at a major agency AND/OR go to a top 5-10 B school and go from there. This is my honest opinion and I know many "important" people in Hollywood, especially from living here for the past 10 yrs.

You're at a crossroads, young man. GL with whatever you do.

Cheers

Actually, more than half of the people at CAA got in because they knew someone already working there.

Sure, there are a bunch of people from Ivy leagues and top tier schools but they (CAA, the biggest) still have people from bottom tiered schools. I don't know where you're getting your perspective from but I actually got the job because I knew someone. My GPA, college and major had no part in me getting hired and I actually work with 2 other people (at CAA) with whom I graduated from IU.

I think it's a bit naive to think that the top agencies only target the top schools, as this is somewhat false.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think he's right. target means they focus 95% of their efforts in those schools. 5% slipped through those cracks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads