1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent acquisitions from Alfred Dunhill

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newyorker, Apr 18, 2005.

1. newyorker

newyorker Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, I seldom have any pictures worth posting because I do not own bespoke this and bespoke that, but I recently acquired some Alfred Dunhill items that I'm quite fond of (at very steep discount), and so I thought I'd share them and perhaps even drum up some support for this venerable British clothier. Please don't misjudge my intentions. I am just another big boy who to likes show off his toys a bit like the rest of you  [​IMG]  [​IMG] Alfred Dunhill Ties, 100% silk, Handmade in Italy [​IMG] Alfred Dunhill Mother of Pearl Cufflinks (appologies for poor picture quality, MOP is in the center, and is surrounded by the words ALFRED DUNHILL) [​IMG] Alfred Dunhill Sidecar Collection Bi-Fold Wallet [​IMG] Alfred Dunhill Belt I am particularly fond of the belt, and would very much appreciate advice on selecting a matching shoe. I think they would look very stunning with a pair of navy pants. That's all gents. It's very nice being part of this community.

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

I like the blue tie, wallet and belt. Nicely done...particularly with the steep discount part [​IMG]

3. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

Like the ties and love the belt. I'd try it with medium gray trousers, in addition to navy.

4. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Hm, let me beat ernest to the punch in asking where you were able to obtain such a wonderful discount/// Very nice stuff, all of it. I have my quibbles about toggle-backed links but I'm weird.

5. newyorker

Thanks for the tip. I think it would work with medium gray and maybe even light pinstripe gray pants.

6. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

http://www.richemont.com/brands/allb...?brand=dunhill In that it's part of the Swiss giant Richemont, not sure how venerably British it is any more.

7. newyorker

You are quite right. I do worry about how Alfred Dunhill will evolve in the future (what a thing to worry about.) However, they have been under Richemont for quite some time and I've still been quite pleased with their products and design direction, until last season.

What makes me worried is that they have hired Richard James (is that right?) and their latest collection is a bit eurotrashy.

8. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

LOL (waiting for the RJMan explosion)

I still regret not buying a wonderful midnight blue with small stars tie by Dunhill at TJMaxx one time. *sigh* One that got away.

Nice ties and belt. I have some reservations about the links because of a) the (already mentioned) toggle backs, b) the overt logo. I'm sure they'll be fine in real life.

9. newyorker

Thank you. [​IMG] I had some concerns as well but bought them anyway because (1) I figured that Alfred Dunhill wasn't an overexposed brand like Prada, Gucci, etc, (2) the cufflinks seemed quite versatile. I paid $50 for them; full retail is $185.

10. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

(tgfny @ April 18 2005,20:26) In that it's part of the Swiss giant Richemont, not sure how venerably British it is any more.
    You are quite right. I do worry about how Alfred Dunhill will evolve in the future (what a thing to worry about.) However, they have been under Richemont for quite some time and I've still been quite pleased with their products and design direction, until last season. What makes me worried is that they have hired Richard James (is that right?) and their latest collection is a bit eurotrashy.
    I do think them trying to get back to their motoring roots is a good idea. For a while they haven't seemed to have a true identity outside of tobacco, a real focus of being.

11. newyorker

Agreed, I think they should focus on their "aristocratic" pretensions. Dunhill had done a superb job of combining quality+elegance+style+timelessness. They had been classy and upscale but not boring. I shall feel rather sad if they become something very different from what they had been.

12. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

I thought this was a steal at $60. Hoping Richemont wasn't selling counterfeits at its outlet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. newyorker

It is. I paid $5 more for mine, and it wasn't exotic leather. Glad to see there are people who like Dunhill. There aren't many brands with similar products around, I don't think.

14. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

(tgfny @ April 18 2005,21:37) I thought this was a steal at $60.
    It is. I paid $5 more for mine, and it wasn't exotic leather. Glad to see there are people who like Dunhill. There aren't many brands with similar products around, I don't think.
    Excepting their lighters, I've found little there that was unique. Have sent several friends there for off-the-peg blue blazers.

15. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

I love the color of that belt. Nice choice.

dan

16. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

@(^&%#(%#)@)#_(^&..... Is that real alligator???... For $60?.. With rolled gold edges??... You won the outlet lottery...

17. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

(tgfny @ April 18 2005,18:37) I thought this was a steal at $60. Hoping Richemont wasn't selling counterfeits at its outlet. [​IMG]
    @(^&%#(%#)@)#_(^&..... Is that real alligator???... For $60?.. With rolled gold edges??... Â You won the outlet lottery...
    Yeah, but they closed the outlet. When I bought it, everything was 70% off of regular outlet prices.

18. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

I still regret not buying a wonderful midnight blue with small stars tie by Dunhill at TJMaxx one time. *sigh* One that got away.
    AlanC, you saw a Dunhill tie at TJMaxx? What was the going price? newyorker, I just love that belt. Can't you just see that around a pair of green tweed or navy moleskin trousers, under a dusky olive-and-tan hacking jacket? Classic.

19. newyorker

Interestingly enough the Dunhill website no longer shows any of the items I purchased but there are two that are similar enough: A similar cufflink (though with pink MOP): [​IMG] A similar belt (though in a darker brown): [​IMG] There are two other very beautiful belts: [​IMG] [​IMG] God, don't we just love clothes.

20. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

(AlanC @ April 18 2005,17:53) Quote I still regret not buying a wonderful midnight blue with small stars tie by Dunhill at TJMaxx one time. *sigh* One that got away.
    AlanC, you saw a Dunhill tie at TJMaxx? What was the going price?[/quote] Yes, last year they had a few Dunhill ties. I saw them at more than one TJMaxx. They were around $20 or so, if memory serves. I've even seen Zegna ties at TJMaxx, and the most surprising thing ever (I kid you not): Charvet and Wilkes Bashford cummerbunds. Lately the offerings have been pretty boring, however.