1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rebel Style (Hardcover) by G. Bruce Boyer out in May 2006

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Speaking of the rebel, Boyer is devoting a book to it.

Rebel Style (Hardcover)
    by G. Bruce Boyer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/284...Fencoding=UTF8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    List Price: $18.95
    Price: $12.89 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
    You Save: $6.06 (31%)

2. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about this. I think the publication date got pushed back since last time I checked.

Assouline's other recent book Racing Style is very interesting as well.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I wonder if Boyer is qualified to speak about that sort of thing.

It seems it would be more like a project for the late Gilles NÃ[​IMG]ret or Luc Sante.

4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

what's with brando's eyes? does he use heavy eyeliners?

5. j

j Well-Known Member

what's with brando's eyes? does he use heavy eyeliners?
    He just got punched in the face a lot. He coulda been a contender. He coulda been somebody.

6. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Apparently this book is now available if anyone is interested. Also if anyone has seen it, what did you think?

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I hope it has more written content than Boyer's last one did. I'll stop by Barnes & Noble today and check it out.

8. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

It's only 80 pages... [​IMG]

I hope he makes good use of it.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Apparently this book is now available if anyone is interested. Also if anyone has seen it, what did you think?

is it? Amazon says it is still a pre-release. 80 pages...ouch, i hope it's 70 pages of photos. But I'm def into checking it out....it will go nicely with my other books on 1950s "rebel style".

10. Get Smart

I ordered this book along with "The Suit", got them both today....

Rebel Style is terrible. Very superficial, very short....about 10 pages of text, nothing insightful or interesting to read....then the rest are all photos, but most arent very original. Lots of obvious ones of Brando & Dean, and they go through the decades into Easy Rider and punks and hip hop. Unless you've NEVER seen a book like this (of which there are quite a few) there's nothing new here and a waste of the $12 it costs.

Thumbs way down.

11. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

Rebel Style is terrible. Very superficial, very short....about 10 pages of text, nothing insightful or interesting to read....then the rest are all photos, but most arent very original. Lots of obvious ones of Brando & Dean, and they go through the decades into Easy Rider and punks and hip hop. Unless you've NEVER seen a book like this (of which there are quite a few) there's nothing new here and a waste of the $12 it costs.

Thumbs way down.

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered "The Suit" about 30 minutes ago and I was thinking about cancelling and adding "Rebel Style" to my order. I don't think I'll do that, though...That's another $12 I'll be able to spend on a pair of Polo C&J (this is a serious addiction!) [​IMG]

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

As I've reiterated before, Boyer is not one to be speaking about rebel style. Academic-wise, this topic should be left to the French establishment. When a country accepts Jean Genet into the most proper circles, we know it can combine gravitas and heedlessness.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Thumbs way down.

Can you mention some other books on that style of clothing? That is probably my favorite style of clothing and dress. I didn't know that there were books out there about that particular style of dress.

14. Get Smart

Can you mention some other books on that style of clothing? That is probably my favorite style of clothing and dress. I didn't know that there were books out there about that particular style of dress.

If you want an all-encompassing one, a better book than "Rebel Style" is "Haircults" (dont have any specific author, publisher info right now) which is a better account of different youth styles throughout the decades. While it's a glance look at all of them, in the short space it devotes to each style, the photos are more interesting and the accompanying short text also has more insight within its briefness.

For the 50s "rebel style", a book called "Teenage Confidential" is a good one, as is "All Shook Up" which focuses on the 50s London youth scene. Also "Teds" is a great photobook of 1950s-1970s UK Teddy Boys. Another one worth looking into is "Rockers" about the 60s British "Ton Up Boys" (bikers)

15. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Well-Known Member

Reminder: Bruce is having a book party on June 14th at Jay Kos (Park Avenue) open to the members of the various fora.

Wear your best leather jacket!

16. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Well-Known Member

Just agreeing with the crowd, but this was not money well spent. Ten minutes on Google will come up with a better representation of "rebel style." Ubiquitous pictures of Jimmy Dean, the most depressingly coordinated group of punks I've ever seen, and Eminem don't make for inspiring, or even interesting reading.

17. Get Smart

That was one of the worst group shots of 'punks' I've ever seen. A pic of the lin e getting into a Casualties gig would have been better.