1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Wish I had gone, that lineup is incredible.

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the ramps trend to me? Seems like they went from nowhere to being overharvested. I don't really see them in SF but spring onion and garlic are everywhere. The love of ramps is starting to feel like the tulip craze.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  3. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

what da fuck is a ramp?

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

it's a baby leek, picked wild, only available for a few weeks in the spring

5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I had a great appetizer at dinner tonight, ravioli with leeks and fried fennel. My god. :drool:

6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm not the world's biggest ramp fan.

I like just about anything in the allium family, and they are undeniably tasty, but this city goes *nuts* for them this time of year. I suppose it's a nice rite of spring, but you'd think this was the second coming of Christ the way every restaurant fawns over them and puts them on *everything*... And the fact that a plant that was considered a curiously edible weed until a couple of years ago is now going for $20/lb at the greenmarket... It's just a little insane.

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Is that the Wild Mountain Berry guy? He is the only reason I can think of (in addition to the overcrowding) to hate the USQ mkt. That guy is a putz, and unless you are one of his buddies or a big restaurant customer (same thing really) he usually can't be bothered to give you the time of day. All last year his artisanal 'baking mix' of little potatoes were border -line rotten. I couldn't believe he was selling the stuff week after week and people were buying it...

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i have no idea who that is. I didn't even buy from that stand, I just wanted the picture of the mountain that he had.

there's plenty of other market locations in the city besides USQ, which I appreciate:
    http://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/ourmarkets

I agree that ramps are way over hyped by the media. They're delicious and should be savored for the very short time they're available, but they're not exactly alba truffles.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  9. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

So what non-suckage is going down this coming weekend (17/18/19)? Too late for the Phil or the Met, too early for Midsummer Night Swing or Shakespeare In The Park.

Also what neighborhoods get closest to the Forest Hills Gardens feel without the Forest Hills Gardens pricetag?

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the areas around Juniper Park in Middle Village are nice - its has a huge park, Juniper Park, surrounded by mostly family queens style homes (those brick homes with a garage). The area/neighborhood is tree laden and really really clean.

The area is always quiet even on the weekends. The park is huge and pretty -and dog friendly (off leash hours and a specific place for them to roam) The problem is public transportation - there are no trains nearby so its MTA buses. Everyone in the area usually has a car. Access to the QME/LIE is easy. Woodside/Kew Gardens/Forrest Park areas are all nearby.

there are other areas similar to Forest Hills gardens (suburb like huge houses on tree lined streets) in dyker heights in brooklyn, and the Van Cortland Park Area of the Bronx.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  12. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

new york especially sucks when the yankees are in first.

13. musicmax

Nah we're going to Alcatraz in the fall. Don't want to duplicate.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I have the pleasure of presenting this gem. Kevin is a friend of mine from college:

http://gothamist.com/2013/05/16/heroic_theatergoer_smashes_cell_pho.php

4 people like this.
  15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i took great pleasure in reading that this morning.

1 person likes this.
  16. musicmax

OK the weekend trip is still on... thanks for the neighborhood suggestions.

Anyone up for a flash meetup Sunday the 20th 6-8 at John Brown Smokehouse in LIC? The George Gee swing band is playing and everyone needs to bring a digital device since SF legend LuxeSwap/SpooPoker/balearic1's auctions always end on Sunday at dinner time.

Craft beer, live jazz, allegedly-North-Carolina-worthy 'cue, and SFers. Definitely non-suck.

17. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

That guy is a hero. We've all wanted to do that at some point.

I especially loved the security guard trying to tell him he couldn't leave.

1 person likes this.
  18. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the desire to do this is why I avoid most movie theaters. There is one 30 minutes away that is good about kicking out rude patrons, but most of them suck at it.

19. mr usneun

mr usneun Well-Known Member

Wtf are ramps? Never heard that over here in Germany

20. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

baby leek type things.

[​IMG]