1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

7 train

2. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

What are some of the nicer ones? Prices for 2BR? Any 3BR?

3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

I like LIC more than Greenpoint. And getting to Manhattan from LIC is insanely fast via the 7. Greenpoint's more established as a neighborhood but I always got the stink-eye from the longtime residents when I went apartment hunting there. Also, Greenpoint is perhaps one of the most architecturally hideous places I've ever visited. LIC has more than its share of ugly, but the waterfront is gorgeous.

New York might suck, as per this thread, but I'm fucking excited to be heading back to hang out there next week. At the very least, it sucks a lot less than Philly (yeah, not saying much, I know).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Newer buildings and good buildings are almost mutually exclusive. Of all the "newer" buildings I've seen in New York, I can only recall about five I'd enjoy living in. At best, new buildings are tacky as shit, and at worst, they're crimes against humanity and beauty and taste and all that is good.

5. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

This is the truth.

Old buildings have plenty of problems, but I'd take them any day over 99% of the new construction monstrosities around here.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

+1.

40 Bond would be one id live in. 170-something Perry street might be another.

7. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

8. riotior

riotior Well-Known Member

I'm going on a two week vacation in NY in a couple of days. Like, nothing other than unstructured time. I'm going to be staying in the Mandarin, so I'll be around Columbus Circle. Is there like a list of SF-approved boutiques?

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

People who make real money buy across the street at 25 Bond.

lefty

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

This one in 25 Bond seems like it might do:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  11. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Check at CityView - a great squash and tennis club. Also, the windows over the urinals in the men's locker room offer one of the best views of the Manahattan skyline available anywhere.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  12. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

My guess is that whoever bought it would rip out all those ridiculous tiny bedrooms and bathrooms. 7 1/2 bathrooms seems a little overkill.

How are the urinals? For that matter, where are the best urinals in NYC? I fancy the old school shoulder-height porcelain jobs that can double as a boat if need arises. Old Town Bar or Pastis.

lefty

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

a lot of the old clubs have these, Harvard, ULC, etc.

14. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

. . .
    How are the urinals?

15. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

The bathrooms on the Standard hotels have great floor to ceiling views. Try the ones associated with the Boom Boom room on the top floor.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Silly me. I assumed each of those bedrooms was bigger than my living room. As for urinals, the best I've ever encountered were in an old hotel in Philadelphia. They had, for lack of a better term, a spout sort of like a gravy boat which roughly matched the arc of the, um, stream, and the water was way down at the bottom. Zero splashback. They projected nearly three feet from the wall.

17. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Now we're talking. Those are some mighty nice urinals. The Royalton had some interesting urinals when they first opened - stainless steel, electronic beams, walls of water.

And for all things urinal related: http://www.urinal.net/

Are there any troughs left? You would typically see these in a sports stadium men's room or old athletic club.

lefty

19. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member