1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I grew up in rhode island where pogies would be corralled by bluefish and cause massive half mile long "blitzes" of bluefish feasting on the pogies along with stripped bass on the periphery - from there all you had to do was cast out from the surf with a popper lure and just catch fish all day.

the fishing in the NYC area is actually good like you said... its a little tougher... but can be more rewarding since because so.

2. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

long island beaches are very nice.

3. SD1

SD1 Well-Known Member

I grew up in Jersey and it was the same (though we called pogies mossbunker). There's nothing like a bluefish blitz in the surf!

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I always enjoy visiting NYC, and have spent Christmas there for the last 10 or so years. I try to visit at least twice a year, but I've never had a desire to live there.

5. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

Some of you need to understand your grown ass men and if your such whiney ass bitches move to where it suits you better. Honestly complaining about weather, it's predictable and will not change so why stay here and bitch if you hate it so much. Do something about it and move.

6. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

ft

7. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

aw, a real live NY chauvanist has popped in to say "hi!"

1 person likes this.
  8. mordecai

My native New Yorker instincts tell me he is a transplant. Real New Yorkers bitch about this stuff endlessly.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I went through that phase but I am over it.

10. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Correct. Transplants love them some "only in New York" stories.

11. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Isn't that about 100 miles from NYC?

12. mordecai

It's almost a reverse for LA I think. You come here and hate it, because on the surface it can be really awful. I remember the culture shock when, on our first 4th here we asked neighbors where the fireworks for the neighborhood were going to be and they looked at us like aliens. We ended up watching thugs set off illegal ones in some shitty part of Northridge I think.
    But after about 15 years slow appreciation develops into a strong boosterism.
    Or you move back to Chicago and tell everyone how terrible weather is really essential for building character.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

August Styleforum members aside, San Francisco transplants are the worst. And there are so many of them.

14. mordecai

I think we can probably all agree on that. It's like a melting pot for the proudly useless.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

there's a running joke in williamsburg that half of the hipsters are from minnesota.... its strangely true from my informal census -i think they skew the "nice-ness" factor upward statistically.

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

The big problem is that the city becomes a reflection of them and their life choices, so they love it uncritically and unconditionally.

17. mordecai

Why doesn't this happen elsewhere as much? Is it just a size and isolation issue? I mean I guess it happens in certain neighborhoods and small cities here and in NYC. Santa Monica and parts of Brooklyn come to mind.

18. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

We moved from California to a village 15 miles outside of NYC in 1963 for 7 years. In elementary school-high school when you studied the United Nations, you visited it, when you studied art you visited MOMA, when you took music lessons you hopped on the train and got them from a working musician living in Greenwich Village. When you needed nudie magazines you went to Times Square. It was great.

I still enjoy every trip to NY. But even with frequent visits I probably have an overly romantic perspective. I may have been lucky to have lived there at the very best time in the last century.

1 person likes this.
  19. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I'm going to steal this expression.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

This is a good observation and probably apt to many places.