1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Every apartment I've ever been in in New York short of the very high end luxury units has a tiny, shitty bathroom.

Our first apartment, you literally couldn't get the bathroom door all the way open because it hit the toilet. We had a... large friend visit once and he could barely fit in the bathroom.

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

And the fact that you're pretty much relegated to sharing your bathroom with other people.

Ever since I got my own bathroom here.. I just can't fathom going back to sharing if I were to get a roommate.

UGHHH.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I hear people learn to live in 300 sq feet. You just need to do like Kramer and have levels.

1 person likes this.
  4. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

2br for $3k in most of manhattan is a steal.

5. GreenFrog

I meant $3K for a 1BR.

The 2BRs were around $3.5 - $4K.

6. poorsod

Good 2BR are easily 4k+. Around 3.5-4k is the Junior 2Br, pretty much 1 br with dining space that can be turned into the second bedroom.

7. GreenFrog

Yeah, it seems like you need to spend $3K for a decent 1 BR, and $4K for a decent 2 BR.

The really nice 1 BRs were $4K+ and ~$5K for the 2 BRs.

Jaw-dropping.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

But you're in NYC....

9. GreenFrog

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

seriously though...complaining about expensive rent/real estate has been covered in this thread infinity times already.

the elephant in the room (if you want to find cheaper/bigger/newer apartments to rent): live in brooklyn/queens.

You can find some great places in the way way way up UWS for good prices too, its almost like a quiet suburb vibe out there after 8:00pm too.

11. poorsod

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

28 degrees, snow expected, March 18

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Although Arthur Avenue is a reason why NY does not suck, especially if you can get there easily in 15 minutes, as apparently I can.

14. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the $3K a month isn't even the worst part when it comes to signing for an apartment.

15. aravenel

You know, Arthur Ave has been somewhere I've been meaning to go since I moved here and just never have. Of course, it's considerably more than 15 mins away for me...

That's the truth. Looking like we will have to move this summer and the idea of having to pay $5k to some asshole broker who failed out of high school to turn the key for me is already making me furious.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

can someone who understands the broker system explain how it came to be? And why it exists as a gatekeeper in NY but seemingly nowhere else?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  17. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

we liked the broker we worked with years ago to find our current place, and she actually did a little work for us (of course not enough work to warrant the fee, but whatever). Last year, we thought about a West Village move and reached out to her again and were informed that because the area is so desireable, the firm is requiring 1 month + 20% for the fee.

Stupid.

18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

19. aravenel

To be fair, the last broker we used was pretty good--he actually listened to what we wanted, found a bunch of places that met our requirements, drove us around to look at all of them, and negotiated the rent down with the landlord. I actually felt like he was working as an agent for me, which made the giant check a bit less painful. Like you, it's sure as hell not enough work to warrant the fee--that's close to $1500/hour *at least*--but it made it a wee, tiny bit better. He's not working as a broker anymore though, so scratch that.

1M + 20% is un-fucking-believable--that is damn near 30%. I hope you laughed in their face. 15% pisses me off enough.

The broker system infuriates me. I too would like to know where it came from and how it has such a stranglehold on this city.

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Having someone go out and look for places for you, at least he's providing a service.

In my case, the place was advertised in the times! The broker did, literally, nothing except collect the fee. I paid it because it was a killer apartment.

1 person likes this.