1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Traif was probably one of the best meals I have had in Williamsburg.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

If you go, go with a group of 4 or 5. This will let you order a ton of dishes and will end up cheaper than the tasting menu. What you see in the pics isn't the full list of what we ordered, yet the total came out to just over $60 a person pre-tip. And the foie gras soba is a must - the meats are great and all, but there's no way I could reasonably replicate the soba at home (can get foie, couldn't do that broth and couldn't do those perfect noodles).

Also, forgot to mention another "restaurant" - the cafeteria at the Polish & Slavic Center in Greenpoint. Polish food that is awesome. Weird old Polish guys in suits vibe. Polish news on the TV. No English. Poor people food. Fucking amazing. Have been, but not with Foof, though we do plan to go there (and Booth will be invited too).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    2 people like this.
  3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

hey where's my invite

4. brianoh

brianoh Well-Known Member

WinSon is Taiwanese.

5. gomestar

if you're in town drop me a note.

right. Asian.

1 person likes this.
  6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

You guys should check out Franchia. The ginger tea alone is worth a trip.

7. gomestar

Noted.

But also, WTF. Come after 6pm and you're required to spend $15 to dine??? Fuck off. With a few friends and that is upped to $25 per person??? I guess that's not hard when the fried rice with "vegan chicken" dish is $18, but I'd rather spend $14 for Roberta's non-vegan bread and cheese. Alternatively, I'd just walk a few blocks north to the place Manton and I would frequent: Lychee House (solid but still overpriced. But not AS overpriced).

8. mgm9128

Dude, the spicy okra and eggplant curry is pretty fucking good.

9. thermals

thermals Well-Known Member

Lilia is great. The baked clams are unreal.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. gomestar

Went to The Anchored Inn for greasy dive bar food last night. Surprisingly great bar food and good beer menu.

11. mgm9128

I ate at Butter tonight. Mediocre food, inflated prices..a regrettable decision.

12. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I was at the Armory show on Sat and two kids were screwing around and knocked a sculpture over. Hilarity ensued with lots of "he did it!" Last I saw they were surrounded by dealers and apologies from the parents weren't cutting it.

To be fair the sculpture was bicycle tire balanced on a stick which was stuck inside a hunk of concrete. Not sure it was any great loss.

lefty

3 people like this.
  13. gomestar

to go on the bicycle talk....

was nearly flattened today by a delivery guy. fuck him. quiet Brooklyn street and I decided to cross with a no-cross signal (yes, my fault). I looked right (direction of traffic), looked left (safety first), even looked across (direction of travel), and boom all of a sudden this fucker comes around and misses me barely by a few inches. He was traveling from behind me against traffic and turned right into me onto another against traffic road. I can't win.

14. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Worst is at night when the delivery guys (and other bicyclists) have no lights and are impossible to see, especially when they are riding fast. I think it's reasonable to crack down on cyclists with no lights after dark. It's like driving with no lights at night.

15. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

Ironically, i was walking back from meeting with my tailor when i crossed 51st at lex WITH THE LIGHT. Had to break stride and stop for a hipster on a bike running the red and across 4 lanes of Lex. My stopping caused a problem for the asian delivery guy riding the wrong way on the one way and i had to spin to avoid him taking me out, twirling away mid intersection with garment bags in hand. it was, to my mind, the ultimate SF / reasons why NY sucks moment

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Tonight I sat beside Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki flag at a talk at the Explorers Club. For this little Canadian kid that's pretty much as awesome as awesome gets.

lefty

4 people like this.
  17. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

All the years Patrick gave you and you toss him aside like yesterday's consomme. You'll be taking Foo apple picking, next.

Well, all I can say is, I hope you like boiled rabbit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. gomestar

Patrick and I went apple picking this year. Foof was busy.

1 person likes this.
  19. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Did :foo: move again? :confused: I thought I would have seen him in the 'hood by now...

20. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

"riding:.... Most of these delivery people are on those motor assisted bikes now. Wouldn't call that riding by cycling definitions. Watching them coast by not putting any real physical effort into it.