1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

As everyone is making holiday travel plans . . .

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-15/these-are-the-worst-airports-in-america

2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just there the other morning. It was OK. I've certainly been in crappier terminals, both in the U.S. and internationally.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

The United terminal at SFO has been a dim hole of despair. They recently added a new wing to it which is light, airy, and doesn't even crush your soul. This serves only to destroy all remaining hope when your United flight goes out of one of the old gates.

5. Bounder

As far as decor goes, it's hard to beat LAX. If prison had airports, they'd look like LAX does.

But that article does explain something that's always puzzled me. About a third of the time when I am on a flight to NYC, an actual fight will break out -- usually about overhead bin space -- during boarding. This almost never happens on flights leaving NYC. I can only assume that all these people are stressed about having to navigate La Guardia.

6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

This is very true. I was waiting to board a flight from LAX to JFK, and the gate people were all "please guys, check your bags now. Don't make us get out the ruler. Nobody? Ok, we're getting the ruler" as they took like 10 bags and checked them. Bin space was still at a premium (for others - JetBlue upgrades are usually like $50-75 and I'll usually just take it to avoid the hassle and get a better seat + board early).

NYC bound flights are an interesting crowd. The luggage situation comes from tourists who feel the need to bring a coffin sized bag + a carry on for each one of their 3 kids plus themselves, and recently named citizens who can't visit home to often so when they do, they have to bring the entire country back in their luggage.

7. Bounder

It can't be entirely that. The tourists, at least, are leaving NY with the same stuff they brought with them. I think the real reason has to be that so many more people are in a good mood when they are leaving NYC than when they are going to NYC.

The fight usually starts when someone tries to put something in a partially-full overhead bin and someone else says "Don't touch my stuff, asshole!" It goes downhill from there.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

LGA is terrible across the board. JFK has 2 nice terminals, or maybe three. But that's 3 out of 8 at best. I am happy with SFO for the most part.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

LGA Marine terminal is one of my favorites. In and out so fast, never crowded. Feels like air travel in the 1980s

10. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

That TWA terminal ain't so bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see it's time for the slushlympics again in NYC. Let the games begin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lefty

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. gomestar

last year, I bought a giant pair of Red Wing boots to combat this. I can barely walk in those damn things, but my feet remain dry.

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Got Wellies for this at least on the weekends. Walk straight through the puddles.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Should have looked at the forecast before coming to town. Was caught with the absolute worst possible shoes (suede boots). Some how managed to get by without ruining them.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Do what I do. Slush through it all in good shoes and then complain on Style Forum.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bounder

I'm in. We haven't had a heated Swims discussion on SF for quite a while.

16. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I had a pair of overshoes that looked like a short boot and had a zipper on the inside. They were made by Totes. Picked them up at a thrift store for a couple of bucks, but they eventually deteriorated.

They were pretty good looking, and provided full shoe and sock coverage. Looked like a split toe boot when on...not bulky or horrid looking.

Never been able to find anything else like it....closest I can find in a googling are these vintage ones, but they don't have a zipper, are already sold, and being from the 70s, are also probably ready to have the rubber disintegrate.

18. gomestar

and just like that, and once again overnight, Palm Court was no more. I miss those things.

so I've complained about this before, but the general StyleForvm elite dismissed it: "there's lots of reasons why somebody might be sitting in their car while parked at the curb." Yes, there is, I'll probably be doing some of it myself today as we pick up the rental to head upstate for the holidays. My complaint was about the frequency of this.

So I did some research. I picked the same route and walked it Sunday to Tuesday (wanted to squeeze a weekend day in there). Chose mid-day for my walking time, and made sure to have a fairly robust route that goes from my place in East Williamsburg moving further east through the graffiti zone, then south around Roberta's, then back west through the project-y area, then back up north to home. Only route deviation was in the graffiti zone where sometimes I take the dog to what seems to be a particularly pleasing place to shit (note: I didn't walk this for my own gratification, I walked the dog and made this a side mission). All in about 1.5 miles each time.

Results (count of people who were just sitting in cars at the curb. Sometimes engine on, sometimes not):
    Sunday - 8
    Monday - 11
    Tuesday - 9

ok, that seems like a lot to me, and it's something I don't get. There is a school along the route, but I made sure to pick mid-day to eliminate the odds that it's some parent waiting for their kid at basketball practice. I also made sure to ignore any car that had an Uber sticker or anything of the sort that suggested "waiting to get my next ride call".

End of rant, dammit. That's a lot of people just hanging out in cars.

19. brianoh

brianoh Well-Known Member

Do you live in East Williamsburg proper, or East Williamsburg by real estate agent marketing terms? I live off of Graham and consider myself to live in East Williamsburg, but anything east of the Grand L is Bushwick proper. There's more ppl in their cars in gentrifying neighborhoods.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

It's true, a lot of car sitters.